3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Goals and Coaching (Read 402 times)

Slo

In two weeks I have the Green Bay Marathon. This has been a lack luster training period. Loss of focus, blown off work outs...yadda yadda yadda.

I do expect to break 3:30 and I am going to run it as if I'm in BQ shape (3:25 minimum standard) If I blow up I blow up. It's my own undoing anyway.

So getting to the point;

My plan is to hold off on any future marathons until fall of 2013. We have a local marathon where a 3:18:00 could possibly get me an AG finish.

My best 5k is a 20:03. (1 year ago) I ran one this weekend for 20:15 but ran the first mile pretty conservatively. I think I could have done better.

I plan on spending the next year training for shorter races. I need to get beyond this 20 min barrier. In all my years of running, roughly 6, I have not incorporated consistent track work. I've considered an online coach but haven't pulled the trigger yet. In my mind, a sharp focus and a smart training plan I should be able to crush these goals on my own...kinda

I'm hoping I can lean on you guys for a little motivation and training opinions...(in my line of work you have to be careful what you ask for. Opinions are free, Advice you pay for)

Feel free to stalk my log and offer suggestions on where to begin after a nice little recovery following Green Bay.

Feeling the growl again

I'm hoping I can lean on you guys for a little motivation and training opinions...(in my line of work you have to be careful what you ask for. Opinions are free, Advice you pay for)

Feel free to stalk my log and offer suggestions on where to begin after a nice little recovery following Green Bay.

The problem with online coaches is knowing you are getting quality.  And coaching is more than just the plan they hand you upfront.  I paid Greg McMillan a fistful of cash back in the day, and got the plan....then when I started missing paces, the plan did not change, he just ignored the feedback I sent in and kept telling me to do workouts that were further and further departed from reality.  That's not coaching.

You don't always get what you pay for.  IMHO whether you pay for something or not is a suspicious judge of quality.  

We're all about motivation, as long as you need a boot in the rear more than a hug.  Wink

What exactly do you need training opinions on in your plan?  Your direction looks pretty clear and I think it's a good one for you.

I've written plans for people on RA before.  With enough lead time I could put something together if you want it.  I bill in beer, price is negotiable and I tend to get pretty behind on processing invoices.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

I've written plans for people on RA before.  With enough lead time I could put something together if you want it.  I bill in beer, price is negotiable and I tend to get pretty behind on processing invoices.  Wink

+1 Got me a 3:10. If I could get my ass properly aligned, it may get me a new PR this fall with similar help in training plans.

We are pretty similar in running (well except the fact that I am overweight and not running enough miles at the moment). The way you ran Tecumseh, I can see you getting close to 3 with someone tweaking the training plan especially if you're hitting 2013. Also, if I can break 19 (albeit two years ago) I know you can too. Oh and I will be breaking 19 again this summer. Yeah I said it. I now own it. Come on Slo. We can hammer this one into the ground this summer. Maybe we can even put some heat on Nads and his chase of 18:15. (Damn I feel a throw down coming)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

I may take you up on this. Or at least get back into the habit of writing out a weeks plan and having you review it.

C-R...I'll be scanning the calendars today and picking a couple of goal fall 5k's. Man, I would love to break into the 18's and I believe that I could get pretty close to the 3hr mark as well.

Feeling the growl again

Oh and I will be breaking 19 again this summer. Yeah I said it. I now own it. Come on Slo. We can hammer this one into the ground this summer. Maybe we can even put some heat on Nads and his chase of 18:15. (Damn I feel a throw down coming)

Coming?  Sounds like it's done thrown.  Summer's not far away, time to get that ass lined up...

Slo, just let me know if you want something and we'll take it to PM.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slo

OK

Green Bay is behind me. I ran the half at a pace slower than my regular training run so I have no recover to worry about! My last few runs were with wings on my feet.

It's focus time. Fall 2013  3:18 or better Quad City Marathon will be attempt number 1. We have Des Moines and the Twin Cities as back ups.

It's focus time. Fall 2013  3:18 or better Quad City Marathon will be attempt number 1. We have Des Moines and the Twin Cities as back ups.

All good choices and plenty of time to get your goal.

As far as your plan between now and then, similar to what Spaniel said, you have the knowledge and general direction right in what you need to do.  If it's motivation you need, just look at his sig line.

If you feel you need more help to your running plans, I'd be happy to help out as well.  In order to do so, you just might have to commit yourself to running Stockwell with me on my return trips back home.  Running loops in Camanche just doesn't cut for me any more.  I liked it better when the family lived on the north end of Clinton.  I'm not sure where along Pershing you're at.  It can either be flat or nice and hilly the further north you go.

Oh, and I still hope to come back home for the half in September.

Slo

If you're in town and don't mind a recovery paced run I'd be glad to join you for a tempo workout. Big grin

I'm 1 mile from Stockwell Ln. 3100 block. Now that it's light out earlier I should try to get some stockwell lane runs in.

Hope to see you at the half, or what ever distance you do. The 10k course has 2 miles of flat, 2 miles of incline and a downhill finish. A great course but nobody does 10k's anymore.

Hawt and sexy

Do not get me started on internet coaches. I have some pretty bad assed rants about this topic.

I'm touching your pants.