3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

DB the Hurtlocker Poser (Read 70 times)

DoppleBock

I am such a wuss.  I am unskilled at dressing properly for winter runs of any length.  I hate being cold and usually end up boiling hot.  Running on ice and snow make me whine and cry.

Tomorrow it a great day for winter running in WI.  32F @ 8am and 37F at noon.  20 MPH winds.  My weekend opened up, so I want to do my one ultra-type training run I am allowing myself per month.  The "Best" training would be to take it nice and easy on the Ice Age Trail.  It will be ice and snow covered ~ I can re-screw my shoes and deal with it.

But, I just cannot get myself motivated ~ I keep think of how nice a 4-5 hour run would be on the TM versus on the trail.  Reality is there is a 90% chance the trail run will be amazing.  Mostly shielded from the wind and really nice to spend time in woods working up and down the hills.

Come on - Suck it up butter-cup!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

I get it. I wussed out today and hit the tm but I'm dropping off one boy for a wrestling meet at 6:30 am and will be on the roads by 6:45. Won't be no ultra run but I'll be out there so you can just suck it up Nancy Boy and get outside.

Feels kind of weird calling out DB.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

bhearn

I keep think of how nice a 4-5 hour run would be on the TM versus on the trail.

WTF. Your problem is not that you're a wuss; it's that you're a lunatic. 5 hours on the treadmill and my head would explode.

That said, when I want a 4-5 hour training run I find a 50K rather than go solo.

Slo

DB

There is still time to sign up for this. Even show up day of.

http://tripledrace.blogspot.com/

$$ pay out. Self supported...you'd likely take the Ultramarathon hands down. Just a hop skip and a jump away.

Sundays temps range from 10  - 17 degs. No wussies here. The check points are bars so enjoy a cold one before wrapping up the ultra...which ends at a bar. And the beer is free.

Post race is free craft beers and pizza. Runs to about midnight. I left last year with door prizes that far exceeded my entry fee. I have a room Sunday night if you need one.

MTA...Blogsite says run is filled up.  Lance would still let you in as long as there are seats on the bus. There will be people who drop out due to the temps...Drop him a line on the face book page if you are interested.

DoppleBock

They are running the Frozen Otter (too late to enter) on the same trails 32 and 64 mile race.  They demand you carry a lot of stuff (Shelter etc).  Plus I am not interested in paying $100+ for a training run.

Spring - Summer - Fall this is usually a 4:00-4:15 run ... I think I am willing to go as long as 5 hours, it also might depend of if the hand pump work at Butler Lake ... If the hand pump works I am golden, if not, I may turn around and use my car as an aide station.  I just know it may be the last time I can get down to the trail for a few months.  It is easier to run on TM.

WTF. Your problem is not that you're a wuss; it's that you're a lunatic. 5 hours on the treadmill and my head would explode.

That said, when I want a 4-5 hour training run I find a 50K rather than go solo.

DoppleBock

I am not allowed into IA - especiallu anywhere near a town on the Mississippi

DB

There is still time to sign up for this. Even show up day of.

http://tripledrace.blogspot.com/

$$ pay out. Self supported...you'd likely take the Ultramarathon hands down. Just a hop skip and a jump away.

Sundays temps range from 10  - 17 degs. No wussies here. The check points are bars so enjoy a cold one before wrapping up the ultra...which ends at a bar. And the beer is free.

Post race is free craft beers and pizza. Runs to about midnight. I left last year with door prizes that far exceeded my entry fee. I have a room Sunday night if you need one.

Slo

I am not allowed into IA - especiallu anywhere near a town on the Mississippi

I'd like to hear that story.

I agree. Running in the cold is hard. I'm sure there's a good HGTV Property Brothers marathon you could catch on your treadmill.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Kalsarikännit

I'm the opposite. I've tried to do long runs on the TM and it never works. I go in with the best intentions, and I have never been able to make it past 13 miles (and that felt like a massive struggle). This always makes me feel bad. I feel like I'm horrendously mentally weak that I can't suck it up running long indoors. I've even told myself that I could go at any pace.  Run fast, slow, walk, run backwards, just stay on the damn thing.

So here's the deal DB, you suck it up and go super long on the trails, and I will go four hours on the TM on Sunday. Deal?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

flarunner

OK, I'm new here and not one of the gang so feel free to ignore. But, dude, you ran over 6,000 miles last year. Yes, a good portion of it was on the TM. But one of your goals for this year is to run less mileage, so maybe you could make that less mileage on the TM.

Surely you can find it within yourself to do a little run outside.

Feeling the growl again

I am such a wuss.  I am unskilled at dressing properly for winter runs of any length.  I hate being cold and usually end up boiling hot.  Running on ice and snow make me whine and cry.

I can't talk.  Now that I have a comfy treadmill setup outside tends to seem either too cold or too hot.  It does not help that my metabolism has slowed to the point that I sit here in my 69deg house with a quilted flannel over a longsleeved T-shirt.  But I give myself a little break that I don't have nice trails to run on easily accessible.  I have no problem doing up to 20 miles around here, but over that a) it gets too boring or windy, b) if an ultra training run I need fuel, which means looping back to the house...never a good idea Smile

Look at it this way...you don't get awards for running outside when it is crap vs. treadmill.  The proof is in the racing.

My goal is to finally read up on the incline settings on my machine and start using them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

OK, I'm new here and not one of the gang so feel free to ignore. 

We won't ignore me but we might goad you into some stupid training stunt.  Watch out.

And welcome.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

flarunner

We won't ignore me but we might goad you into some stupid training stunt.  Watch out.

And welcome.

Crap. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut.

C-R

My goal is to finally read up on the incline settings on my machine and start using them.

Yet another way for you to kill that treadmill and bankrupt the Nordic Track people. I bet they hated you got the 7 year extended warranty. Heh.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

And welcome.

Did someone say Stunt?