3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Settling down after a night workout (Read 286 times)

DoppleBock

Just about any workout that is moderate effort done at night has me struggling to sleep afterward.  The last 2-3 years I do @ 2 of these workouts in the PM a week during the work week.  I tend to get anywhere from 0-3 hour sleep afterward.  Last night was a good example - I was donw running by 6pm (1/2 day of vacation) and I went to bed @ 9:00pm - Fell asleep @ 3:30am.  If I get done after 10:00 I usually do not sleep at all.

Does anyone else have a hard time amping down and what is your solution ... PS I am not drinking right now - So booze it out.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Slo

I've read and experienced it for myself...a hard workout prior to going to bed for the night means a restless sleep.

If I can wrap up my workout by 6 - 6:30 I'm usually fine.

I try to schedule my harder efforts in the am.

Booze prior to bed usually means a restless nights sleep for me too. I just deal with it.

I'm reading this thread, having just finished a somewhat brisk 8-miler. But I dunno -- I have little trouble sleeping after running even hard workouts late at night.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

It USED to effect my sleeping however not lately. I think it was due to the fact that I was running more than I am now.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

My problem is these are either 2.5 hour runs with speed or 4 hour + runs sometimes with an hour each way driving - I could get my ass out of bed and get the speed in, but not the 4 hour runs.

I again did not get out of bed this morning early enough, so I will be doing the 18 to 20 mile run after work with 4-5x1 mile speed.  The speed is not near as bad as the 4-6 hour runs.

When I'm driving alot towards evening and getting home rather late, I never sleep very good. Monday our son locked his keys in his car so my wife and I had to drive a spare set to him. I got down with my workout and was home by 7:00 and was hoping to hit the road about 7:20. We had a 1.5 hour drive to get him the keys and another 1.5 hours to get back.

Well, my wife decided to go for a bike ride and didn't get back until after 8:00 and we didn't hit the road until about 8:30. We got home about midnight and I just can't sleep after all that driving. I had a good run at noon yesterday, but the worst swim all year after work. I was also going to get a bike ride in but was way too tired to attempt that so I ended up reading a book and trying to catch some early sleep.

My evening workouts would be considered more of a warmup for you but I can see where you could have a problem settling down after your workouts.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

My problem is these are either 2.5 hour runs with speed or 4 hour + runs sometimes with an hour each way driving - I could get my ass out of bed and get the speed in, but not the 4 hour runs.

I again did not get out of bed this morning early enough, so I will be doing the 18 to 20 mile run after work with 4-5x1 mile speed.  The speed is not near as bad as the 4-6 hour runs.

I've been doing MOST of my running at night and when my mileage was higher I had problems after my long runs. Now not so much.  In fact I can run long , shower eat and go right to bed and then sleep until 9 am (which is why I end up doing most of my running at night ) Vicious cycle

MTA: and all my runs that are longer than 12-13 miles I have around 45 minute drive each way

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

... sometimes with an hour each way driving ...

Ah, Bach.  When I drive any non-trivial distance, especially in the dark, my brain locks into Alert Mode ... and I have a hard time turning that off and getting to the point mentally that sleep can come.  Maybe it's that and not the running effort ... ?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

No difference between this and when I run 4 hours on the TM in my basement - Often no drive involved - always hard time sleeping.  Some weeks it's No sleep on Tuesday - Go to be really early Wednesday as I am a Zombie - No sleep on Thursday - Bed really early Friday. 

Ah, Bach.  When I drive any non-trivial distance, especially in the dark, my brain locks into Alert Mode ... and I have a hard time turning that off and getting to the point mentally that sleep can come.  Maybe it's that and not the running effort ... ?

The only time I have issues sleeping after a workout day is if Alcohol is involved with/after dinner. No problem falling asleep, but wake up 3-4 hours later and stay awake the rest of the night.  In fact running cured my insomnia a bit and the days I don't workout are days I can expect a restless night. But my running is no where near DB's, longest evening workout I ever did were of the 60-70 min variety.

C-R

I guess I am lucky that exercise doesnt effect my ability to crash. Ran a good 12 last night, had a couple of glasses of beer and slept like a rock. If I only do the beer though I am restless. Odd.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

Interesting - Last night I did 17 with 4x1 mile @ 5k pace ~  A pretty decent workout for me.  I got done at 8pm and I was fine - Sometimes I guess I get lucky.

CR - Alcohol is evil

Slo

I guess I am lucky that exercise doesnt effect my ability to crash. Ran a good 12 last night, had a couple of glasses of beer and slept like a rock. If I only do the beer though I am restless. Odd.

That's pretty much my finding. I haven't had a good nights sleep since 1984.

DoppleBock

Happened again last night - A pretty hard workout (For me) - But not killer hard and I really did not sleep.  I ended the workout @ 7:30pm ~ Ate dinner and even took a hour walk to relax ... What really sucks in the workout felt really good and smooth (2x3 miles @ LAT) and I could have run it faster or even 1 more rep.