3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Yada Yada Yada (Read 568 times)

There's a difference between eating moderately and making sure you're adequately fueling yourself.

That was this morning's speed workout. A big Samoan dude took exception to my extra stare at his Wahine. I may be fat and out of shape but nothing like 'ole Kimo.

And Candice, if he ate like me he wouldn't run near as fast. I need to drop a few pounds but first I need to run more.

In training he was fearless, felt himself too easily capable of
      violence. He often contemplated what he would do if someone
      stopped and challenged him. He figured he would put them
      through a little of what his life was all about first; taunt them into
      giving chase. He would stay just a little out of their grasp, egg
      them on and on. Perhaps they would make half a mile or so,
      depending on how well he could lead them on, perhaps their own
      sense of pride might surface, a byproduct of a terrible
      misconception about what was actually happening. Shorter had
      once run the legs off an entire gang of hooligans in the hills of
      New Mexico, despite already being tired from a I5-mile run. You
      would watch for the signs, Cassidy thought, the ones you knew so
      very well; the pain, the bewilderment, the blankness that would
      eventually come close to despair. He would make it a challenge, so
      they would forget their original purpose and keep on going just to
      show this bastard, this...this...(then it would dawn) runner.

Then he would simply turn and face them. He would take on
      anyone like that, he thought. He would take on Muhammad Ali, so
      long as he could direct the preliminaries.

Cassidy knew very well that he could take men, otherwise
      strong and brave men, to places they had never been before. Places
      where life and death overlapped in surreal valleys of muscle gloom
      and heart despair, where one begins to realize once more that
      nothing really matters at all and that stopping (death?) is all; where
      all men can finally get the slick skin of civilization off and see that
      soft pink glow inside that tells you-in both cunnilingus and bullet
      wounds-that there are no secrets.

A visitor's taste, in short, of the distance runner's daily fare. He
      would fight them then, if they still wanted to, after they knew. But
      they wouldn't want to, he was sure of that. They would walk away
      with nothing more than a hard-won understanding.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

You eat like a freakin girl, wtf?

You don't do this during high mileage do you?

Yesterday:  2 pieces of toast and a quarter banana for breakfast; a small hamburger for lunch; a small bowl of pasta and 2 beers for dinner.

Today:  half a banana and a large handful of grapes for breakfast; two pieces from a small microwave pizza for lunch; so far just half a cantelope for dinner but I think my wife is bringing hope KFC.

When I was in college I would sit and watch my XC teammates literally eat 2X what I did...I lived with 3 of them senior year and they could not believe it.

I have to be very careful on up to 60-70 mpw or I will gain weight relatively rapidly; I put on about 8-9 lbs in the month following Boston.  North of 70 mpw I can eat relatively normally.  When I got up in the 90 mpw range in Dec/Jan I could just eat how I felt.

This has gotten worse over the years....I'm experimenting with thyroid meds now....frankly I feel like shit a lot especially when running, tired a lot....the endocrinologist doesnt believe me but I think I fried my endocrine system training as hard as I did 7-10 years ago.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

That was this morning's speed workout. A big Samoan dude took exception to my extra stare at his Wahine. I may be fat and out of shape but nothing like 'ole Kimo.

This reminds me of the 100m in the World Championships like 8-10 years ago.  You see, each country is entitled to send 1 athlete in ANY event if they don't have a single one that qualifies outright for anything.  Well, Samoa sent a guy in the 100m....typical Samoan shape.  He was damn serious stretching into the blocks, though it looked more like a sumo wrestler doing his pre-match stomping.  The gun went off, and the camera spit him out the back as the hard-bodied sprinters blew out of the gates and down the track.  The camera stopped on the finish line as everybody finished and....several seconds later....maybe in the 14-15sec range....you saw the Samoan coming into frame just as they cut away to the post-race interviews.  Funny stuff.

MTA:  Got the better of me, had to look it up.  I was not exaggerating.  2001, Edmonton, Trevor Misipeka, 14.28sec.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This has gotten worse over the years....I'm experimenting with thyroid meds now....frankly I feel like shit a lot especially when running, tired a lot....the endocrinologist doesnt believe me but I think I fried my endocrine system training as hard as I did 7-10 years ago.

Ugh, that sucks. I'm sorry Sad I started to think you had some sort of eating disorder.

I guess I gain weight pretty easily too. I probably don't burn as much being shorter and weighing less.  I eat 1/3 of what Ben does on most days...I guess similar to you I can't eat what I want until i'm north of 70 mpw either. I can gain about 3 lbs if I eat what I want for a day.

Of course, I do eat a little bit more than what you listed that you eat.