3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Training thread (Read 63 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Q  to avoid death at that Nov marathon - My longest run in the last year or so  has been 10 miles on mostly flat surfaces.  Should I try to cram in miles or long runs or Hills for the next 8 weeks.

As well as what spaniel said, I would try to do as many runs as possible

including your long runs on hilly terrain.   I know that I'm not an expert but

the fact that I run  nearly all of my runs on rolling hills (not Monkey type hills)

is the only thing that saved me from death last year.

Well, that and Nobby's Running Wizard planBig grin

steph  

Thanks Spaniel and TO, I don't think mileage will be an issue, I ran 2010 and 2011 on about the same mileage and finished OK (don't reallyc are about the time there), it's the long runs (over 2 hours) that are lacking this year.  Hopefully will get a few  16-20 milers in October, will work towards getting there the next 2-3 weeks, Moved to a different part of the city and its mostly flat here, where as most of my runs earlier were on rolling terrain, hence the worry.

Feeling the growl again

Well, I'm pretty much screwed as my hip as given out 3X in a row at ~14 miles including on a hilly marathon that was not near Monkey hilly.

I wonder if I can drink beer while I walk my way in from there...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Maybe start doing squats.. no weight or anything. Just watch TV and knock some out. Idk.. just an idea.

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

Ostrich runner

I think I'm ready to start training! Just need to figure out a good race to train for

Badwater?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well, I'm pretty much screwed as my hip as given out 3X in a row at ~14 miles including on a hilly marathon that was not near Monkey hilly.

I wonder if I can drink beer while I walk my way in from there...

As fast as you're going to run those 14 miles, you'll have plenty of time to walk it in before noon.

mta:  Of course there is also the beer hydration pack option.

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Badwater?

Woohoo, Pam Evil

steph  

Badwater?

Wow. That escalated quickly.

Spaniel, what kind of exercises are you doing to solve?  I've dealt with hip pain off an on since doing a lot of hill training for ultras.  Most of the pain was upwards travel of an IT band issue and not nearly at your level but between lunges, squats, core drills and misc drills I've managed to keep it low grade pain that usually goes away.  Ultimately, I think running hills just makes everything stronger...

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, what kind of exercises are you doing to solve?  I've dealt with hip pain off an on since doing a lot of hill training for ultras.  Most of the pain was upwards travel of an IT band issue and not nearly at your level but between lunges, squats, core drills and misc drills I've managed to keep it low grade pain that usually goes away.  Ultimately, I think running hills just makes everything stronger...

The culprits seem to be hip flexors and some muscle I can't remember the name of that runs laterally from near the base of the spine across the top of the butt to the outside of the hip.  The chiro I went to diagnosed weak hip flexors and resulting compensation as a root cause and I believe him.  (too much sitting).  The lateral butt muscle gets inflamed and rubs on the sciatic nerve or another nerve, resulting in the pain and eventual lockup of the hip if I continue running on it.  This was what happened when you had to walk me in at the 50.  There's no mind-over-matter, it just stops functioning.

I've been doing (and not logging well) various planking exercises and hip flexor strengthening exercises.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The chiro I went to diagnosed weak hip flexors and resulting compensation as a root cause and I believe him.  (too much sitting).  The lateral butt muscle gets inflamed and rubs on the sciatic nerve or another nerve, resulting in the pain and eventual lockup of the hip if I continue running on it. 

When I have the hip pain it is right in my flexors, starts very low grade and builds up until I can't run on it.  I wouldn't say it locks up but it does get too painful to run on.  I took a shotgun approach to fixing, going with several core exercises to keep my upper stable as well as hip adductor, abductor, lunges, and squats.  The pain is not completely gone but hasn't been bad enough to interfere with training.  When I used to try isolated exercises only for hip flexors it never really seemed to help.

Badwater?

anything with trails is still OUT Sad  but you never know lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

The culprits seem to be hip flexors and some muscle I can't remember the name of that runs laterally from near the base of the spine across the top of the butt to the outside of the hip.  The chiro I went to diagnosed weak hip flexors and resulting compensation as a root cause and I believe him.  (too much sitting).  The lateral butt muscle gets inflamed and rubs on the sciatic nerve or another nerve, resulting in the pain and eventual lockup of the hip if I continue running on it.  This was what happened when you had to walk me in at the 50.  There's no mind-over-matter, it just stops functioning.

I've been doing (and not logging well) various planking exercises and hip flexor strengthening exercises.

I really hope you can get this problem resolved and get back to training Andy!! Glad you at least are starting to figure out what is going on though

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ostrich runner

anything with trails is still OUT Sad  but you never know lol

I guess you'll have to settle for Western States then. It's gotta be easier than the last couple years.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Question for you guys and gals...

I have a friend that is running a half marathon in 7 weeks.  He's asked for some input on what to do in preparing for race.  I'm curious to what thoughts others may have in piecing together a rough training guideline over the time period.  I know it's tough to give specifics without knowing running/training history so I'll try to give some info.

1.  Age is low 40's.  He's an active person and just finished a solid triathlon season (raced Olympics through Half distances).  He's strong on the bike.

2.  Looking to run 4-days per week and mixing in other activities (bike, computrainer, etc.) around the running.

3.  Runs with his work group on Wednesday (speedwork).  Usually 2-3 miles of speedwork.  With wu/cd, about 6 miles total run distance.

4.  Long run on Fri/Sat.

5.  Longest run over the past month has been ~10 miles at a 7:55 pace.

6.  He had a solid tri racing season.  As far as running only events go, he ran a 20:17 5k in April and a 1:44:16 half last year at this time.  His half PR is 1:39:12.

My thoughts were as follows:

1.  My guess is that the speedwork is a mix of short intervals (400-800m).  I would prefer to see these be 1k, 1 mi, 2mi type repeats at 10k race pace.  Target 5-6 miles of speedwork.

2.  With 4 days running, target Wednesday speed and the Fri/Sat run to be a long run w/workout.  The rest easy to build mileage.  I don't want to emphasize too much mileage in any one single run so I thought it would be good to keep the long run a longer workout type run at a med-long distance.

3.  Rotate weekend runs as follows:

Wk 1: Long w/fast finish (target 10-12 mi, build last 3 miles)

Wk 2: Long w/tempo (target 12-14 mi total; wu 2 mi, tempo 3 mi, easy 3 mi, tempo 3 mi, cd rest)

Wk 3: Long w/fartlek (target 12-14 mi total; wu 2 mi, 10-8-6-4-2 min w/1/2 recovery, cd rest)

Wk 4: Long (target 12-14 mi)

Wk 5: Long w/progression (target 12-14 mi total; wu 2mi, 8 mi progression with last mile @ 10k race pace, cd rest)

Wk 6: Med-long (10 mi)

Wk 7: Race weekend.

Sound reasonable?  Any other thoughts?