3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

5k pain (Read 1006 times)

DoppleBock

I guess I mean - Sometimes when we are having a great period of training, we push the envelope past reasonable - Almost making workouts super race efforts - Just be smart.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I guess I mean - Sometimes when we are having a great period of training, we push the envelope past reasonable - Almost making workouts super race efforts - Just be smart.

I have been guilty as charged in the past...but this time, I have been a good boy and every workout this year has been remarkably controlled.  20X400 today was the most gassed I have been, not because I pushed it hard but because I have zero anaerobic capacity and speed right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Great

I believe that 80-90% close to great workouts that do not get you injured are far superior to 100-110% workouts that break you. 

I have been guilty as charged in the past...but this time, I have been a good boy and every workout this year has been remarkably controlled.  20X400 today was the most gassed I have been, not because I pushed it hard but because I have zero anaerobic capacity and speed right now.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Great

I believe that 80-90% close to great workouts that do not get you injured are far superior to 100-110% workouts that break you. 

I think I went 95% today. Was really pushing it, but felt controlled till the end. I was definitely stumbling around a bit after finishing. Now that I have decided to focus on 5K-10K, I am more concerned with developing this anaerobic capacity and specific endurance.

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Feeling the growl again

I'm going to get an unpleasant reminder of 5K pain tomorrow.  UGH.

I smell another thread coming.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well I'm becoming quite the "expert" in running 5k's at the high end of aerobic zone. I ran my 5k last night in 22:58 with an average heart rate of 164 highest being 171. My last PCR (progression calibration run which is pretty much a steady state run) was 8 miles at an average hr of 165 with highest being 174 and more than a full minute slower for average pace. I'm really starting to think I am an endurance gal. I just really would like to touch the speed that I KNOW that's in me

MTA: still finding it hard to get out of running comfortably hard. My husband says it's cause I'm not doing my speed workout/interval workouts fast enough though I'm doing them at the pace recommended to me by my training plan. Hopefully it's just because I'm doing what I'm supposed to and that I'll have no problem come goal race day

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well Rocken, what's the matter with being an endurance girl? Wink

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Well Rocken, what's the matter with being an endurance girl? Wink

I'm VERY HAPPY being an endurance girl! I plan on going back to that ONCE I show myself that I can bring out the other side of me that I KNOW is in there but I haven't worked on much. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

MTA: still finding it hard to get out of running comfortably hard. My husband says it's cause I'm not doing my speed workout/interval workouts fast enough though I'm doing them at the pace recommended to me by my training plan. Hopefully it's just because I'm doing what I'm supposed to and that I'll have no problem come goal race day

Believe it or not, you're sitting in a good spot.  You're actually playing both sides of endurance and speed pretty well.  I hear ya when you say it's hard to get out of running comfortably hard.  My wife says that to me too much too.  I know what it takes to make me go after it and push that threshold one notch up.  You'll have to find that for you.  The one thing that you'll want to watch is that as your fitness improves, you'll want to do a check to ensure your paces in the training plan are still correct.  Of course, keeping those strides built in during the week are critical for finding that next gear.  Good luck!