3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

It is I - Crumudgeon (Read 51 times)

lagwagon

I understand the rant and personally feel some of the same feelings, especially as I turn down weekly invitations to join a self indulgent group of friends/coworkers/relatives/strangers on the latest gladiator muckfest 5k.

But on another level, i look at these a great way to get The People off the couch and running, whether its for color, bubbles, ribbons, or barbed wire kisses.  for some, it'll be a gateway and they may yet become runners.  the rest will move on when they find a new whats next.  all of them will burn a few calories, gets some vitamin D and realize running doesn't necessarily suck.

flarunner

I know we don't rant much in here which is why I like it (except when I goad people into stunts).

<rant>

Anyway, I just received an e-mail for something called Electric Run for Indy. Seems a 5k at night with glow sticks and what not. Is this where running is headed. We have color runs where someone hits you with powder during a 5k. Mud run 5ks through obstacle courses. Zombie 5k runs where you're chased by zombies that paid to be a zombie. And who knows what else.

What has happened to just racing? I watched the indoor USATF and Milrose games and was stoked at pure simple racing. I can never be that fast but I can be faster than I was yesterday. That is fun and it includes heartbreaks of racing a for shit on one day and putting some work in to get better next time. Is that not what it's all about? Am I missing the big picture? Or is it all about making some dough?

My favorite run anymore includes no medals, no chip timing and just a bib, course and finisher chute.

No pull up your pants, turn down that loud ass hippie music and get the eff off my lawn.

<rant/>

To answer those questions. Yes. Women.

Women want 'events' and bling and 'stuff'. But, as others have pointed out, if that gets people off the couch, then it's all for the good.

Feeling the growl again

if that gets people off the couch, then it's all for the good.

Yes.  Agreed.

It would still be nice if it did not start to completely displace the masochistic and competitive lifeblood of the sport however.  Smile

I do not at all look down on people who do these events.  I am happy to see them out doing stuff.  But I still have a gutteral negative reaction to the blatant bastardization of the sport.  I guess I get peeved more at the vultures coming to cash in than the participants.

Who knows.  Maybe I will come to love getting powder puffed with color.  Or, perhaps I will set an all-time record for finishing such a race and see how fast I can go and how clean I can come out.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slo

I do not at all look down on people who do these events.  I am happy to see them out doing stuff.  But I still have a gutteral negative reaction to the blatant bastardization of the sport.  I guess I get peeved more at the vultures coming to cash in than the participants.

All of this and +1 to the last sentence.

xhristopher

Recently I was told someone I ran and she asked if I did those spartan / tough mudder runs. Inadvertently I answered her just by the sour look on my face.

I used to work with someone who was formerly at vp level at nike. She told me I wasn't their target audience.

I guess the lesson is that If you are in the business of making as much money as possible don't go after runner nerds. We're not a good target audience and too easily satisfied. Just let us run, give us a solo cup and fill it with beer.

C-R

I guess I get peeved more at the vultures coming to cash in than the participants.

This!

I'm all for anything that gets someone off the couch and moving to a healthier lifestyle. That's good.

Seems there are fewer choices for those of us who like simple races and that's what bugs me the most. The solo cup race would be great. Popsicle sticks at the end and so on.

This mornings race was delayed by ten minutes due to a faulty chip timing system. I'm an engineer and I love me some geeky toys and exact numbers but frankly my watch was good enough for a 10k.

I had a couple of Yazoo's last night and that helped too.

heh

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Just let us run, give us a solo cup and fill it with beer.

Perhaps we need an Indy Solo Cup 5K Series.  Cross country and road courses.  Coming to a field near you this summer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Perhaps we need an Indy Solo Cup 5K Series.  Cross country and road courses.  Coming to a field near you this summer.

Hell yeah. Every Friday night.

The FN (Friday Night) Indy Solo Cup 5K (or there abouts) Series.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Hell yeah. Every Friday night.

The FN (Friday Night) Indy Solo Cup 5K (or there abouts) Series.

A distinct possibility for at least a few of them.  This would give me an excuse to use the kegerator more.

Don't expect much other than the cold beer.  I MIGHT GPS the course.  I PROBABLY will go chuck stuff out on the XC course and make you jump over it.

C-R

Know a perfectly good 5k 89 course in carmel we can use

MTA: 89? Wtf. Meant XC. Damn blackberry

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

I can "wheel measure" courses with my bike.