3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Advice needed (Read 389 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well Pam, if you've decided this is what's right for you, then good luck with it and hope you have some fun!

steph  

Well Pam, if you've decided this is what's right for you, then good luck with it and hope you have some fun!

This.  And also

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Pam.

Stay in touch. You're a strong, amazing and inspiring woman.  (How unHurtlocker, but it's true, so I can therefore say it)

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I've DNF'D before in fact twice but both I had covered many many many miles, one I stopped because I was a road racer who decided to sign up for a 100k in NJ. At the time I was under the impression that all of NJ was nice and flat and NOT technical. My other DNF was VIaduct the year after I completed the 100. After 50 it was too easy to say hey I'm happy with just 50. 

I am having a hard time accepting the fact that I had to DNF a HM due to tired feet and worry that I'd end up with an injury. I just figured if I kept it at a conversational pace that I could get through the 13.1 miles even if that meant it would be much slower than I had planned.. How does a "strong" runner like myself get so "weak"? I guess when I get my diagnosis maybe it will be easier to digest and accept but DAMN.! At 5 miles I was thinking about how much of a victory this race was going to be since at the time I thought that I was going to actually finish the race. I think if I had an injury it would be much easier to accept.  

Anyway I didn't injury myself. I was smart and pulled myself out despite the fact that it made me feel like a failure. I will most definitely NOT be running my marathon at the end of the month. In fact as far as running I'll be taking it week by week. The part of me that thought I could will my way out of this mess is now silenced and will come back WHEN I'm diagnosed and have a recovery plan. I will be checking in on everyone here but will probably not post much UNTIL my come back!

Thanks for the much needed support you all have given me DESPITE the fact that this is the hurtlocker! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

. How does a "strong" runner like myself get so "weak"? I guess when I get my diagnosis maybe it will be easier to digest and accept but DAMN.! At 5 miles I was thinking about how much of a victory this race was going to be since at the time I thought that I was going to actually finish the race. I think if I had an injury it would be much easier to accept.  

It happens when you encounter an issue that is completely out of your control.  This has nothing to do with toughness.  It was pretty tough just to try to stick it out today.

Define "injury".  This sounds like one hell of an "injury" to me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

It happens when you encounter an issue that is completely out of your control.  This has nothing to do with toughness.  It was pretty tough just to try to stick it out today.

Define "injury".  This sounds like one hell of an "injury" to me.

This.

And I hope the diagnosis comes soon.  It's far better knowing what you're dealing with rather than worrying about what could be.  Thinking of you.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes, what Hop and spaniel said.

steph  

Pam, as others have said, you're in my thoughts and prayers.  Let us know what you find out.