3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

50-miler racing (Read 833 times)

Ostrich runner

Gnaw bone has significant sections that aren't even on a trail. Fun race.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

You are still thinking like a fast racing rockstar

Think of Gnaw Bone as a fun run through the woods - Part of your training for the fast 50M.  Time to enjoy some trail running - Time to work on nutrition - Not time to run as fast as you can.  Time to cruise easy the 1st 30-35 miles and then run harder the last 15 or so. 

Of course, you are right.  Given we will have a ~4mo old at that time, the draw of having someplace close by for the family to stage comfortably is of utmost importance.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

DWD Devils lake did not have a lot - But some sections were just ribbons in the woods -

What I learned from DWD -

The crappier they can make the course (Going over logs, through mud holes, etc) the better

and

do not go shirtless - They really like taking your through Briar Patches

But if you know that is the rules of the game ahead of time, it is a lot of fun.

Gnaw bone has significant sections that aren't even on a trail. Fun race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

MTA:  6:30 pace...is 5:25...holy hell...

Apparently someone ran a 5:26 up in Door County..assuming WI...at the Fall 50.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

obsessor

I'm a little floored by the whole recovery angle on this thing.  Granted I did not run myself into the ground like I would in a hard-run marathon....was not on pavement....and was in trainers and not flats....but still, I ran 11 miles further than I ever have before and had significant muscle lock-up issues when I stopped (leading directly to the knee issues).

I was SLIGHTLY sore the day after...two days after I felt like I wanted to go for 10 miles or so.  Three days out (last night) I easily covered 10 miles at a decent easy pace with no ill effects.  I think doing a workout would have been over-doing it....I could feel a little lingering fatigue in the background...but my legs feel like I did nothing more than a moderate workout last weekend.

Weird.  If this is normal no wonder some of these guys can race such races so often, especially since they actually prepare for them.

boom.

37 miles is good. 50 was ambitious, but you've got to try crazy stuff sometimes.

Yeah. Although the next day can be really bad, 4 to 5 day out and the legs rock hard and ready for a good workout. I've had a trail 50k feel like nothing, and a trail 50k take me out for 2 weeks. I can't tell why. Rocks and falling, maybe?

Feeling the growl again

boom.

37 miles is good. 50 was ambitious, but you've got to try crazy stuff sometimes.

Yeah. Although the next day can be really bad, 4 to 5 day out and the legs rock hard and ready for a good workout. I've had a trail 50k feel like nothing, and a trail 50k take me out for 2 weeks. I can't tell why. Rocks and falling, maybe?

A real trail run...a long one....would kill me right now because it would hit a lot of muscles and tendons that are under-developed by just road running.  That's my theory on it.

Hawt and sexy

Wait. I have still gone further than Andypants? I'm confused. I need to read more stuff here and keep up.

I'm touching your pants.

DoppleBock

Yes and no

The nice soft trail will be nice to parts of your body

But running downhill's hard will destroy your quads like an all out marathon squared. 

A real trail run...a long one....would kill me right now because it would hit a lot of muscles and tendons that are under-developed by just road running.  That's my theory on it.

Feeling the growl again

Yes and no

The nice soft trail will be nice to parts of your body

But running downhill's hard will destroy your quads like an all out marathon squared. 

I was concerned about lateral and twisting motions....

DoppleBock

If you try to avoid the rocks and roots yes - If you just pick a line and run right over them - Then usually not as much - More your feet just hurt really bad.