3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2014 Racing Thread (Read 38 times)

Damn Kelly.  I sure hope they get this straightened out for you.

Yup - I hope they manage to sort this out for you as soon as, in the meantime take it easy and be careful.  Running can wait.

Just a dude.

Damn Kelly.  I sure hope they get this straightened out for you.

Doc visit today. I am cleared to run, but they are doing work on my meds. They are adding a second one and changing my dose on my regular one. Unfortunately, it sounds like my max heart rate is going to go down, which I fear will make everything harder and/or slower. They also adjusted my ICD, so it will not shock me as easily, and will also pay attention to my new issue with the fibrillating...

BTW, I found out that my ICD is variable in its shocks. It hit me the first time with 20 joules. The second was 30. The third was 40. 40 is my device's max.

Thanks for the encouragement all. Hopefully this all gets better.

Also, there is a chance that I might get to talk to the guy who put Alberto Salazar's pacemaker in. Apparently he's really smart about heart electrical stuff, and my wife's boss is a real good friend of his wife. The doc apparently does a lot with good to elite atheletes. Hopefully I can pick his brain. /shrug

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

2 / 23     TeaOlive      Augusta Half Marathon     Augusta, Ga        < 1:50  

It was awful.  Very slow and tired.  1:59:11.   2nd AG.

But at least the back pain I've had all week wasn't an issue 

steph  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It was awful.  Very slow and tired.  1:59:11.   2nd AG.

But at least the back pain I've had all week wasn't an issue 

Back pain-free sounds like a really good outcome - hope that stays.

I ran a 10mi race (this morning). Goal was to improve time on course, and I did by at least half a minute. As usual, started out feeling great and fast -- it starts downhill. Then later on quit caring about time and just wanted to survive until end. Honestly, that's how a lot of my races seem to be turn out, and I suspect that's fairly normal.

It was a club competition, and we were definitely the loudest club. I was amused how we echoed our cheer off the rafters when they announced us as 8th place in male masters. Out of eight qualifying teams Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

2/23  El Paso (Texas) Marathon  <3

No sir.  3:08.  I definitely felt some altitude effects, and the sun was in my eye (plus I was fat and out of shape but never mind that part)!

Couple-line race report:  I'm tellin' ya's I'm a different runner than I was 10 marathons ago.  My 1st half split was 1:29 so you know the 2nd half was not so cheery.  Back in the old days I'd have been walking the water stops but I just kept moving the legs and it really wasn't that bad.  Ended up 5th overall and watched the guy in front of me for 12 miles and never closed the gap on him (about 40 seconds, I think the entire time).  He was 4th and took first in my AG - DOH!  I had a strategy to just not let the gap build and I just KNEW that he was gonna die and start walking at some point.  Only he never did and the gap stayed the same the entire time.  Concentrating on him kept me moving for those last painful miles - thanks 1stAG dude!

AP - I was in "I just want to finish this thing" mode by mile 10!

TO - congrats on 2nd AG but I understand about the slow and awful for sure!

No sir.  3:08.  I definitely felt some altitude effects, and the sun was in my eye (plus I was fat and out of shape but never mind that part)!

Couple-line race report:  I'm tellin' ya's I'm a different runner than I was 10 marathons ago.  My 1st half split was 1:29 so you know the 2nd half was not so cheery.  Back in the old days I'd have been walking the water stops but I just kept moving the legs and it really wasn't that bad.  Ended up 5th overall and watched the guy in front of me for 12 miles and never closed the gap on him (about 40 seconds, I think the entire time).  He was 4th and took first in my AG - DOH!  I had a strategy to just not let the gap build and I just KNEW that he was gonna die and start walking at some point.  Only he never did and the gap stayed the same the entire time.  Concentrating on him kept me moving for those last painful miles - thanks 1stAG dude!

Sounds like a hard day out there Ken, congrats on the 5th place!

Feeling the growl again

Not quite what you were looking for, but you have to take some pleasure in gutting out a tough race.  In a way those can be more rewarding than the quick ones that come easily.  Smile  Well done.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Way to gut 'em out TO and Ken.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats on your 5th OA with altitude and wind, Ken!

steph  

kcam

Not quite what you were looking for, but you have to take some pleasure in gutting out a tough race.  In a way those can be more rewarding than the quick ones that come easily.  Smile  Well done.

Absolutely.  I really did get some satisfaction out of hanging tough on that one.

Thanks everyone.

Congratulations Ken.

Those are the hardest races!

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

Congrats Ken. Way to stick it out by yourself in those tough conditions.  Hopefully the pluses out-weighed the minuses and it was worthwhile.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

At least he kept you moving - kind of him to stay out there with a target on his back Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Just a dude.

Absolutely.  I really did get some satisfaction out of hanging tough on that one.

Thanks everyone.

Sometimes that's some really good satisfaction. Good job.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...