3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Two 80% workouts this week..

Tues.. 4.25 mile tempo

Fri.. 2 miles at 10k pace, rest.. 1.5 miles at 10k pace.

Anyway, actually posting b/c I have a question.

Next race (potentially) is Oct 5 (Sunday)

I will likely have the option to run 90 min on Aug 30 and Sept 6.

So, my question is.. Will these two long runs help at all for my 5k?

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Tues.. 4.25 mile tempo

My best 5Ks were run after marathon training cycles.  Strong = fast.  Especially when you are too old to rely on the speed of youth to make up for other deficiencies.

Medium-long runs with quality are probably the biggest bang for the buck you can do in distance running.  12-14 miles with 6-10 miles of quality....in the way of tempo, tempo intervals, or fartleks.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Tues.. 4.25 mile tempo

Unequivocally, yes (at least in my experience)!  Your last race shows a need for some more strength.  5:20, 5:23, 5:31.  Some long, steady effort runs will help.

Just a dude.

4 mile tempo this morning.

Miles were 5:54,5:59, 6:12, 6:08. Classic case of going out a little too hard. but I am very happy. Total was 24:13. Last month I ran the same run in 25:45, Probably at pretty close to the same effort.

Looking forward to getting them all under 6, but then I'll probably want to add a 5th mile. 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

4 mile tempo this morning.

Miles were 5:54,5:59, 6:12, 6:08. Classic case of going out a little too hard. but I am very happy. Total was 24:13. Last month I ran the same run in 25:45, Probably at pretty close to the same effort.

Looking forward to getting them all under 6, but then I'll probably want to add a 5th mile. 

-Kelly

You're definitely progressing nicely!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I'm waiting for the fall season to roll around...then maybe I'll have a good workout.

Feeling the growl again

4 mile tempo on the hot treadmill again, 21:09 (10sec faster than last week).  It should be interesting when the temps drop to decent running weather next week.

I was amused that I literally ran the soles off my 8-year-old flats.  The forefoot of each was flopping loose during the cooldown.

Just a dude.

4 mile tempo on the hot treadmill again, 21:09 (10sec faster than last week).  It should be interesting when the temps drop to decent running weather next week.

I was amused that I literally ran the soles off my 8-year-old flats.  The forefoot of each was flopping loose during the cooldown.

I'm impressed with how much treadmill training you do and how well you do it. For some reason, treadmills tweak my hamstrings. I'm obviously changing my form somehow.

You keep inching quicker and quicker. I can't wait till you get a good run in good conditions.

-Kelly

Feeling the growl again

I'm impressed with how much treadmill training you do and how well you do it. For some reason, treadmills tweak my hamstrings. I'm obviously changing my form somehow.

You keep inching quicker and quicker. I can't wait till you get a good run in good conditions.

-Kelly

Thanks.  My form is different on the treadmill too.  I do so much running on it because I can't handle heat well anymore...my wife is a doll and turned the A/C down to 72 before I got home (it's hotter upstairs where the machine is) so lower temp+lower humidity+2 fans = far, far better than the 80-90 degree high humidity we've had here lately.

I do blame the treadmill for being a party to the hip issues I was having....but so far so good lately.  Whenever possible I try to get away from it.

Not sure if this was a good workout... but.

three miles at 532, 530 and 522.

Then met with the window blind installer for a few min.

Jogged around.. threw in some 20s strides (mostly in the 420-440 range).

Just had to do my workout, but the installer guy was late. Shortened the planned 30 min tempo in half. It is what it is.

When will other people learn that my priorities come first?

Feeling the growl again

Today I basically duplicated the 3X(15minON/5minOFF) workout I did in mid-July.  It was a little warmer and hillier, and my legs still feel Saturday's half marathon, so I'm happy with that.  It was one of those workouts where I felt bad starting, but executed well once I got into it.

I just secured an elite entry into my fall marathon, so it's sub-2:32 or eat crow for telling them I could do that.

kcam

Today I basically duplicated the 3X(15minON/5minOFF) workout I did in mid-July.  It was a little warmer and hillier, and my legs still feel Saturday's half marathon, so I'm happy with that.  It was one of those workouts where I felt bad starting, but executed well once I got into it.

I just secured an elite entry into my fall marathon, so it's sub-2:32 or eat crow for telling them I could do that.

Mark it down!! Good luck.

Just a dude.

I was working through that earlier today. My race pace for a 5 miler is just slower that time for a marathon. The idea of doing that 5 times, and then tacking on over a mile on the end. Crazy

You marathon types are a different breed I think.

-Kelly

Did you remind them that you are a Hurtlocker member? Just knowing that would tell them you're going to push it.

The Pocatello Kid.

Hell Yeah. this just got real.

Which one?