3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Enjoyed this RW Story (Read 47 times)

kcam

Lost American Mile Masters

Sounds like it was rough and tumble racing back then ... Sheppard's story reminds me of how spaniel was taken out in a race not too long ago (that was spaniel, right?  Can't quite remember for sure ...).

C-R

Roller derby without skates.

I love these history pieces.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Maybe we should introduce some of these rough and tumble techniques to the beer mile. That would sure make things interesting. Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Reminds me a little (especially the picture) of the stories my stepdad told me about racing in the Boston Garden. He was an 880 guy for Harvard in the early 60's...I guess the way they set up the track in there the back stretch went underneath the stands, and all kinds of crap went on under there - mostly elbows and pushing, ocassionaly rougher. Then they'd emerge from under the stands like nothing happened...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Lost American Mile Masters

Sounds like it was rough and tumble racing back then ... Sheppard's story reminds me of how spaniel was taken out in a race not too long ago (that was spaniel, right?  Can't quite remember for sure ...).

Yup.  The tactic sounds familiar.  Except Sheppard got some punishment.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Love reading about the mile, thanks Ken.. Wes Santee and "The Perfect Mile" was pretty fun too.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

kcam

Love reading about the mile, thanks Ken.. Wes Santee and "The Perfect Mile" was pretty fun too.

Not really about the mile but about a great HS miler .... sad story.  Tim Danielson

C-R

Wes Santee and "The Perfect Mile" was pretty fun too.

+1 awesome read.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Yup, I agree on "The Perfect Mile" and the article.  Both really good reading.

It's time for another running book in my life.  Hmmm.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."