3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Taper Question (Read 42 times)

I'm just under 2 weeks out from London but have been at a bit of a reduced mileage for the last 3 weeks due to being on vacation.

Do you think the following is stupid:

Mon AM 5 Easy PM 5 Easy (Done)

Tue AM 5 Easy PM 10-11 with track session (probably something like 8 x 600m @ 3-5k pace)

Wed AM 5 Easy PM 5 Easy

Thu AM 5 Easy PM 10 with 5 mile tempo.

Fri AM 5 Easy PM 5 Easy

Sat 8 Easy

Sunday 12 Easy

Week = 80 miles

Mon AM 5 Easy

Tues PM 10 with track session (will cut the session intensity back)

Wed AM 5 Easy

Thu AM 5 Easy

Fri REST

Sat AM 3 Easy

Sun MARATHON

I know I can't gain a lot at this stage but my instinct is to get back into the flow this week after a less structured couple of weeks.

Any thoughts?

I'm no taper expert as I'm going through the same thing as you.  Spring Break put a little damper in my last full week of training before the taper.  Your second week looks good.  As far as your current week, the last time you hit 80 what nearly a month ago.  IMO, I would cut out your Wed and Thu double.  Just keep it to single runs those days.  Your core days of Tue, Thu and Sun all look appropriate.  Good luck!

Cheers mbehr, I'll see how I feel tomorrow and I may go with your suggestion dependant on how I feel.

Good luck at Boston - I'll be following it online at work and am excited to see how you do!

kcam

I think you two have the taper covered so no advice here.  Good luck to both, I'll be watching both races.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Robin - that looks good to me.  The only tweak I might make is to drop the 5 mi tempo on the Thu and stick with just a 10 mi steady.  So make the Tue track session your last workout.  I might also make the Tue track session in the week of the race just some strides.  Nothing to gain from it 4 -5 days before the race.

Cheers Purdey - I'm dropping the tempo tonight for 5 easy.  Though I'll probably do a few at marathon pace tomorrow instead with no morning run.

I'll stick with the track next Tuesday just because I need to see a few people about arrangements for the post marathon social.  But I will do a very light session for sure!

Enough navel gazing from me.

Good luck with the last 6 weeks training for the Grand Union Canal 145 miler!

Feeling the growl again

A little late, but I too think 80 was a bit much for this week.  Next Tuesday I would recommend something more along the lines of a few mile intervals at MP to dial in the pace, rather than any sort of real workout.

I am a big fan of getting some fast pickups in or ~km accelerations at the end of easy runs during the taper.  They are not real work, but they go a long ways to maintaining the speed in your legs.  It is a lot easier to maintain that conditioning through such work than to build it in the first place....it doesn't take real effort that comes with recovery, just a little refreshing up-tempo reminders.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills