3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

3rd Annual Spaniel Farms Beer Mile (Read 1116 times)

Kalsarikännit

I had a great time.  I think we all learned a little bit more about perfect beer mile beer temps.  (Hint to everyone else:  You may not want it cold-cold, but warm doesn't help.  There is a good middle ground.)  That was not a fast course, so I am happy that I PR'd on it.  It was fun hanging out with everyone, especially Spud, who traveled a long distance for this nonsense.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

That was not a fast course,

Yes, I had not run on it since the drought set in and I was surprised how rough it was to run on.  When there is an iota of moisture in the soil it seems to even out a lot more.  Hopefully I can find a roller next spring and fix it up a bit.  Using the local track would be less fun because a) we'd all have to hold off drinking until the race...after dark...because b) doing it in daylight would be likely to get you a little Hoosier Hospitality in the Hendricks County Jail.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

Hopefully I can find a roller next spring and fix it up a bit. 

Unnecessary.  Just because it isn't a fast course, doesn't make it a bad course.  Fast and flat is boring and boring.  Besides, that course gives better bragging rights.  Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Prince of Fatness

Unnecessary.  Just because it isn't a fast course, doesn't make it a bad course.  Fast and flat is boring and boring.  Besides, that course gives better bragging rights.  Big grin

Agree 100%.  The course was fine as is.  I wore the Trail Gloves and had no problems at all.  This was a farm beer mile.  Leave the nice track for the city slickers I say.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

I think we all learned a little bit more about perfect beer mile beer temps.  (Hint to everyone else:  You may not want it cold-cold, but warm doesn't help.  There is a good middle ground.)

My warm beer was a consequence of me not checking on it later in the day.  In the morning there were still a couple of ice chunks in the cooler so I thought that it would be OK.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

+1000. I like the xc feel.

If you like, we can bring the horses and really chop it up good. We can even leave the piles as a sort of land mine to avoid.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

+1000. I like the xc feel.

If you like, we can bring the horses and really chop it up good. We can even leave the piles as a sort of land mine to avoid.

Ha.  Okay, I like how you all think.  And it saves me work.

My wife said she overheard some musings that the track may be short.  Yes and no.  When I laid it out several years ago (a 3-day anal process) and wheeled the finished product it as 5-6 feet short (n=2), 6 inches from the inside edge.  When I re-checked it last year, it was 2 feet short (creep outward from mowing without physical markers which have been gone for several years).  So if you stayed <6in from the curb at all times, it may have been short for you.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

All the waving I was doing side to side just trying to keep upright probably ensured that the distance was correct for me.

Prince of Fatness

Some other random highlights from my weekend...

Beer tasting at Flat12.

Dinner out with the Spaniels.

Trail run with WhoDat and Spaniel.

Tasting elk meat for the first time.

Watching Spaniel's spaniel tree a chipmunk.

Getting spanked.

Not at it at all. 

It was definitely a worthwhile trip.  Thanks to Mr and Mrs Spaniel for putting up with all of us idiots.  I was amazed by the variety of beer.  The only disappointment is that we barely tapped into what was there.  I had my first elk Megatron burger too and it was quite tasty. 

The course was great...brought back the XC feel which I prefer over any flat, boring track.  I'm hoping my poor chugging skills were because the beer was slightly warm.  But hey, whatever, that still probably wouldn't have stopped me getting chicked by WG.  Big grin

Cool Jump Suit

There may be a hangover event on a workday evening next week (as in after the 22nd), if it's worth the drive for you.  I would drink a Bud with you.  Hell, after yesterday's learning experience we theoretically could have a second go at the beer mile....

Seriously, you got issues.  I'll consider it, got a busy week for work and I'm head to Chicago this weekend.  We could do a beer mile and my place.....then the specter of a public intox comes into play.  Ahhhhhh, the element of danger. 

So bittersweet,
                        This tragedy
                        Won't ask for absolution;
                        This melody,
                        Inside of me,
                        Still searches for solution.
                        A twist of faith,
                        A change of heart
                        Cures my infatuation.
                        A broken heart, 
                        Provides the spark
                        For my determination.

Feeling the growl again

I happened across a video that showed an "unofficial" new beer mile WR.  I immediately became suspicious because the camera was distant from the runner and it was dark, you could not see the beer level, and he was emptying all 4 bottles in around 6 seconds each.  I called BS, figuring a bottle could not run itself empty in 6 seconds.

The scientist in me came out and I got a couple different bottles and a couple different cans and tried it out with water.  Darned if the bottles didn't both empty in 5.X seconds, while the cans took 9-10 seconds.

Perhaps we should stop struggling to find usable beer in cans and just drag a big trashcan out there so it's easy to prevent broken glass on the ground.  Kinston Rules allow bottles and apparently cans are a significant handicap.

C-R

There's still the whole foam and temperature thing. I feel a beer test mile coming soon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

There's still the whole foam and temperature thing. I feel a beer test mile coming soon.

Just as soon as it is not 90 degrees, I am up for it.  Need to decide on a good bottled beer to try out.  A stout is heavy but that would solve the fizzy issue.