3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

Feeling the growl again

America's greatest runner retires.. Cant wait for Matt Scherer's marathon debut.

LOL.  He'll need to lop a few steaks off those shoulders first.

Just watched the live stream of the Commonwealth men's 800m.  Rudisha gets out-kicked by Amos, and both of them walk off the track like they just did a warmup.  Unreal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

haha.. I saw that too. Those guys are crazy. Its almost like they just ran their first round of intervals.

I have very little running experience and even less when it comes to analyzing form.. but Amos is a mess.

Next year the mens 800 will be insane.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

I have very little running experience and even less when it comes to analyzing form.. but Amos is a mess.

I didn't see anything too weird the first 650m of the race.  Other than Amos let himself get boxed in (he got lucky on that one).  But the last 100, it was almost comical to watch.  Except that it was probably because he was hauling ass and lettinf form go to the wind.  He was definitely crazy on form but I think it was because he was trying so hard.

This race also showed why track is a poor TV sport.  I mean, I know they were moving because I could see the splits.  But I swear I could not tell the difference between that and a 5K by eye, they made it look so easy and smooth.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Im not sure how I feel about T&F on TV. I totally agree that it can be difficult to watch and there needs to be a better way to view it. But Golf is horribly boring to watch too.. and they dedicate hours upon hours of coverage to it.

Feeling the growl again

Im not sure how I feel about T&F on TV. I totally agree that it can be difficult to watch and there needs to be a better way to view it. But Golf is horribly boring to watch too.. and they dedicate hours upon hours of coverage to it.

I don't think it's boring at all, I just think it's hard to appreciate.  Watching NASCAR isn't much different, you have no concept of how fast those cars are moving...except NASCAR tracks are better equipped to throw in some shots with a stationary camera from the side, or in-car cameras to spice it up.

I don't think it practical to strap a GoPro onto the runners.  But trackside shots, or cameras moving on a track like often used in the Olympics, make a big improvement.  I still remember Michael Johnson outrunning the camera setting the 200m WR.

Spaniel,

This sounded like a fun event:

The Sir Walter Miler is expected to return in 2015. The event also included a pre and post race party at Raleigh Brewing Company. The party was highlighted by three food trucks, live music, and the “Sub 4 ABV Challenge,” where six local breweries delivered a keg of their best low alcohol beer. On Thursday night, the Busy Bee Cafe hosted a pre-race dinner for the athletes, and Kickstarter supporters. The group successfully raised $3502 during the Kickstarter campaign, all of which went to prize money for the athletes. The event concluded on Saturday morning with a “Run with the Pros” event at Umstead Park. Reebok’s Bobby Mack led the run. Bagels and coffee were provided by Elliptigo, who offered free demos of their unique product afterwards.

That.. and Ford Palmer ran his first sub-4 mile.

Bekele running Chicago...

“I know Chicago has a very fast course and, therefore, my goal is to break the course record of 2:03:45.  After that, everything is possible.”

Should be fun.

Feeling the growl again

Bekele running Chicago...

“I know Chicago has a very fast course and, therefore, my goal is to break the course record of 2:03:45.  After that, everything is possible.”

Should be fun.

This is sure going to be interesting.  He seems to have translated to the marathon better than Farah; hopefully they can round out the stable and give him a real race to that 2:03.

Shout-out to Jenny Simpson.

Feeling the growl again

Shout-out to Jenny Simpson.

Yup, AR in the future maybe?

kcam

Beautiful run.  Also Rowbury's really looking like a competitor again.  What happened to Martinez?  I don't know a whole lot about her recent history but I'd think she'd run a little better than that.  She looked good and then faded badly towards the end.

C-R

Holy crap! Mo Farah breaks Steve Ovett's 2 mile British record with an 8:07 in Birmingham. It stood for 36 years.

This guy is ageless. Between him and Meb, old runners may be kind of a good thing.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Holy crap! Mo Farah breaks Steve Ovett's 2 mile British record with an 8:07 in Birmingham. It stood for 36 years.

This guy is ageless. Between him and Meb, old runners may be kind of a good thing.

Mo is only 31.  Are you thinking Lagat?

C-R

Mo is only 31.  Are you thinking Lagat?

Yup. Friggin toddler.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Yup. Friggin toddler.

On that note, over the weekend I looked up this year's results from a couple big races I used to run.  It was kind of shocking to look about where I'd finish now and not see more than 1 or 2 other guys my age up there.  Makes me feel better about being a has-been, I'm not alone in that.

It was also kind of sad to note that in looking across multiple races that pretty much everyone would show up in here or there, few of the other guys my age or older who used to run them annually are even out there at all anymore.  Makes the late-bloomer thing look like a good idea.