3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Racing fuel (Read 251 times)

Feeling the growl again

It it's at least 80 proof and you can drink it, this is the place to discuss/rate it.

Recently I bartered 20lbs of vension to C-R in exchange for a bottle of Oban Single Malt Scotch Whiskey.  My experience in scotch is very young and unrefined, other than lots of Glenlivet.

First of all, I like Glenlivet.  It's great scotch at its price point.  But it does not compare to Oban.  The Oban packaging does not say, but as near as I can figure this is a 14-year scotch.  Despite its 86 proof, the flavor is incredibly smooth.  I had just a finger and a half over whiskey stones tonight but this would be dangerous stuff if I was in the mood for mass consumption.

Well done, C-R, well done...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Another single malt fan is born. My work is done here tonight. It was a fair trade all around.

Next up - Cardhu

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

Oh Yeah!

My first love is Bourbon. Scotch is a very close 2nd...I keep a pretty nice selection on whiskey / whisky on hand.

Later today I'm heading out to pick up a bottle of Scotch. I have an allowance of up to $60 but haven't decided what I'm getting yet.

Glenlivet 12 yr is a great daily drinker. It delivers everything a Scotch should. Earthy, smokey...A great introduction to someone new to Scotch.

The variety of Scotch's and the price points makes shopping very hard. We don't have any bars around here that one can sample a glass before forking over $$'s for a bottle of something that might be too "peaty" or "floral" for your taste.

I capped off last night with a Perfect Manhattan mixed from Cody Road Rye, a local distiller.

C-R

Slo - Laphloraig is good in that price range. MacCallan is also nice if you like a peaty taste. Lagavoulin is one of my favorites too. Usually anything in the 12 or older is the best for my taste.

I like your kind of Christmas shopping.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

bhearn

+1 for Laphroaig, but be prepared for a very strong, peaty flavor. Talisker is also very nice and somewhat peaty, but more approachable than Laphroaig.

#artbydmcbride

I put a dollop of coffee flavored brandy in my coffee the other day...since it's the Holiday season (and bitter cold out) .   That is as close as I've come to hard liquor in a while.  Big grin   Carry on...

Runners run

Slo

Macallan 12 yr Sherry Oak was today's winner. It's been over 3 yrs since I've purchased this. I also walked out with some Bombay Gin (for mixing) and Makers Mark.

I still have a nice large serving...or two small, of Laphroaig left. I would say this would have to be listed as my "go to" Scotch right now.

So tonight while we set out presents I will enjoy the first glass of the Macallan but I didn't put it away without trying a little taste....gotta say...a nice long finish.

MTA

The Makers Mark didn't survive the Holidays. Had to slap one BIL when he dumped cola over his.

Ostrich runner

The Laphroaig 10 cask strength is about the best deal out there right now. Spaniel, we still need to arrange our exchange...or another bottle will need to be purchased.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

The Laphroaig 10 cask strength is about the best deal out there right now. Spaniel, we still need to arrange our exchange...or another bottle will need to be purchased.

I will be home any day after tomorrow...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

I'm on little buddy duty for the next week. I know I go to Terre Haute on 1/15...so maybe that afternoon?

Ostrich runner

Slo - Laphloraig is good in that price range. MacCallan is also nice if you like a peaty taste. Lagavoulin is one of my favorites too. Usually anything in the 12 or older is the best for my taste.

I like your kind of Christmas shopping.

I have a glass or so left of a Distillers Edition Lagavulin...1983 if memory serves, that I carried back from Scotland. It's not getting shared.

Feeling the growl again

I'm on little buddy duty for the next week. I know I go to Terre Haute on 1/15...so maybe that afternoon?

Probably OK after work, drop me a text when we get closer.

Slo

Knob Creek...Where have you been old friend?

Kinda forgot about this one. What a finisher!

lagwagon

+1 for Laphroaig, but be prepared for a very strong, peaty flavor. Talisker is also very nice and somewhat peaty, but more approachable than Laphroaig.

Laphroaig has a bit too much gasoline (or maybe its iodine) on the nose for me.  I have a bottle that's been around a bit too long now.  However I do like Talisker and Oban, but nothing tops Lagavulin, pony up for the 16, its worth it.  still peaty, but nice nose and more balanced.

My spirit of choice though has become cognac.  I've been on a Remy kick for a few years now.

oh, and beer.  dogfish india brown in hand now, carb loading for 11mi at 5am.

Feeling the growl again

Just completed a barter with beef bringing a bottle of Highland Park 12-Year into my posession.  Certainly not a smooth one like Oban, but quite a bit of character.  The instructions (yes it came with drinking instructions) called for adding some water, a step which I bypassed.  I think next time I will try that, that is probably what allows one to "chew" it for 4-5sec as indicated.  Straight up the chew is a bit harsh.

Very nice flavor...I am happy to be building a bar with a variety of bottles that are not empty.  Big grin