3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

September 2014 racing thread (Read 33 times)

Feeling the growl again

Nice running Spaniel. I guess it's hard to run real hills on the treadmill... :-/

-Kelly

I admit....I hate hate HATE the incline on the treadmill.  I never use it.  I don't know what the difference is.  If I can't find time to do real hill runs I will need to change that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Joann Y

23:15. was hoping this would get me 3AG but alas, 4AG. dry heaving, close to vomiting at the end so I think I did it right. I'm happy with this.

MTA: hey, and nice work spaniel. fark!

Just a dude.

9/14 - Journal Jog - Reno NV. - 8k - Goal: Sub 30.

That would get me about 12th place last year. So I should have people to run with/against...

-Kelly

29:45. 13th OA, 2nd AG.

Miles were 5:42, 6:09, 6:15, 5:56, 5:40 (Miles 2 and 3 had a good amount of uphill. Very happy with the splits.)

Ran with the 2nd place gal for the first mile. I decided 5:42 was a bit fast. She decided it was too slow. I let her go and she beat me by over a minute. Had 2 guys ahead of me that I just couldn't reel in. No one close behind me. So ran mostly solo last 4 miles.

Happy with the effort. Happy with the result.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Brilliant run Kelly - well done!

34:13 for me in my run leg of the relay tri - very happy with that 3 weeks out from my marathon on tired legs - great team effort to get the win, I had to pick up 3 places as my boys gave me a good chance.  Luckily the runners in the teams in front weren't that great - the leader totally combusted in the last few km's and ran a 43 and 3rd ran a 39.  I took the lead with just under 2.5km left and finished +2 mins ahead.  Fun.

Just a dude.

34:13 for me in my run leg of the relay tri - very happy with that 3 weeks out from my marathon on tired legs - great team effort to get the win, I had to pick up 3 places as my boys gave me a good chance.  Luckily the runners in the teams in front weren't that great - the leader totally combusted in the last few km's and ran a 43 and 3rd ran a 39.  I took the lead with just under 2.5km left and finished +2 mins ahead.  Fun.

Nice. Was that a 10k?

Must have felt nice to eat people up like that.

-Kelly

Feeling the growl again

Roth -- Nice run on tired legs indeed!

Kelly -- Your progression continues to impress and inspire.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Nice Roth and Kelly. With all this good racing in here I need to nut up before I gt tossed from this joint.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

Nice Roth and Kelly. With all this good racing in here I need to nut up before I gt tossed from this joint.

I know what you mean C-R. It seems like sub 17 minute 5ks happen all the time. I am often thinking I am just trying to get fast enough to be part of the status quo.

I think it's good though. I never get to run with anyone, so this is good to help keep my expectations up.

-Kelly

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

23:15. was hoping this would get me 3AG but alas, 4AG. dry heaving, close to vomiting at the end so I think I did it right. I'm happy with this.

MTA: hey, and nice work spaniel. fark!

Nice run Joann. I think I am now officially the slowest runner here. 

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Roth -- Nice run on tired legs indeed!

Kelly -- Your progression continues to impress and inspire.

+1

I, too, am impressed and amazed with the progress Kelly has made. Considering the health scare he had not too long ago, the progress on weight loss, and what he's been able to do in the mile and 8k recently is inspiring.

Joann Y

Nice run Joann. I think I am now officially the slowest runner here. 

Ha! Thanks.

kcam

You guys and gals are all racing well.  Congratulations!

CR, you're so close you just need the right day and you will kick down that door.  Keep at it.

kcam

Yo dawgs ... I gotta brag a little here on my wife..  It has something to do with racing so maybe it belongs here.

My wife Kathy got a photo in this months (Oct/Nov 2014) issue of Running Times mag!! Page 67 half page photo of the 2013 Silicon Valley Tukey Trot  Elite 5K that accompanies an article about Thanksgiving day races.  Go check it out.

We didn't even know it until I got the magazine in the mail and saw the article and looked at her and said "they should have used one of your photos for this".  She looked at it and said "That IS my photo!".  She gets credited in the lower left corner of the page.

She's amazing.  Started photographing races by following me around and now has gotten quite a few photos in mags, including a cover once.  We're talking from zero experience to knowing lots of people in racing now, a lot more than I know even!  So proud.

Feeling the growl again

Yo dawgs ... I gotta brag a little here on my wife..  It has something to do with racing so maybe it belongs here.

My wife Kathy got a photo in this months (Oct/Nov 2014) issue of Running Times mag!! Page 67 half page photo of the 2013 Silicon Valley Tukey Trot  Elite 5K that accompanies an article about Thanksgiving day races.  Go check it out.

We didn't even know it until I got the magazine in the mail and saw the article and looked at her and said "they should have used one of your photos for this".  She looked at it and said "That IS my photo!".  She gets credited in the lower left corner of the page.

She's amazing.  Started photographing races by following me around and now has gotten quite a few photos in mags, including a cover once.  We're talking from zero experience to knowing lots of people in racing now, a lot more than I know even!  So proud.

That's awesome. Hopefully if she got credit she got paid.  Smile

It's quite a skill to know how to capture good race photos.  Back in "the day"  my BIL, a great amateur photographer, snapped a bunch of photos while I was running USATF Winter XC Nationals.  Ended up with an amazing shot of Alan Webb, which I did not see until a good spell later.  I had to tell him that if he'd known who he was snapping photos of, that one had definitely been worth a few bucks at the time.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

ken- Woohoo!  Congratulations to you're wife!

steph