3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2014 Racing Thread (Read 41 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Greg: What about lining up a ways back and starting a bit slower, to let your normal competition get away from you quickly, to help you forget about them.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

an amazing likeness

Anyway, it's the Eastern States 20 Miler. Goal is 2 hours at 7:30 pace then the last 4 miles at 7:00 pace, for exactly 2:28:00. I suck at running even splits but I'm gonna try. I'll call anything between 2:27:00 and 2:29:00 a success.

Oh, and the weather, of course, is supposed to be super extra crappy. Of course. Yay!

Greg, you crazy sob...weather for Hampton, NH Sunday AM: " Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 39. Breezy, with a northeast wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph."

At least it's a tailwind!  Somewhere around there's a pictures of Baddawg from a few years ago turning to the finish at ES20 in a biblical downpour at something like 35F.

I've been waiting for them to move the start back to Kittery before I go back to run this again...I want the 3 states.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Milktruck

Race 2 the Point 5K

Pine Point, ME

5KM

22:40 would be ok (fat, slow and old is no way to run a 5K)

Result: 22:26 on my watch, no official results posted yet.

Yeah they just added the chance of minor coastal flooding and splashover. Nice work MT, you picked the smarter day to race.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

3/29 - spaniel - Blame Spaniel 5K - Lizton, IN - sub-17:30

17:22.  Yay, I got a goal, but I still suck nearly as bad as I was afraid of.

I got greedy and went through 1600m in 5:30 gunning for sub-17.  But it wasn't happening today, no way, no how.  5:37 second mile.  So roughly 5:45 for the third mile.  Conditions were great, I am just fat and need much higher mileage.

This just might have been enough to tip me back into being motivated to do something about it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

27:38

Lapped by Spaniel 4 times. 4 minutes slower than my PR. Nice workout though.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

19:19 for the Blame Spaniel 5k (which I think may be a continuing event throughout the year - hey its free so yeah)

A few seconds faster than last November so I'll take it but there is more to come.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

2:25:05 official. A tad fast (which is an odd thing to say about a race, I know) but I'm happy in that I did what I set out to do, I felt great the whole way, and I'm not trashed. Highly encouraging.

Onward to that other race in 3 weeks (+1 day).

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Walk-Jogger

Date Who Race Name Location Distance Goal Result
                    3/30 Cecil59 WSU 100K Relay, Leg 10 Pullman, WA ~4 Miles Team Win, sub-7 hours Yes to both

Edit* I just checked my running log and I last ran this leg of this race in 2011, in 29:34, into a cold stiff headwind, after running another 8 mile leg. So my goal time this Sunday will be to beat 29:34. Weather looks like it's going to be the same, cold and windy, with a slight chance of rain.

28:50 for 4.22 miles on the Garmin, and 1st place team - Open Division.

Tempered somewhat by being 2nd place team over-all as we got our asses kicked by a mixed team that allegedly had a 2:09 marathoner and his fast wife running. I don't know any talent in this area that comes anywhere close to that kind of speed, but they clearly were faster than us all day long and beat us by 27 minutes. They were gunning for the mixed team course record, but missed it by several minutes. My final mile was nearly all uphill but  unlike yesterday's 5K, with a tailwind instead of huge headwind.

Edit* Apparently Drew Polley, sub-2:15 marathoner and former WSU Coug runner is back in town to finish up his grad studies at the university.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

19:19 for the Blame Spaniel 5k (which I think may be a continuing event throughout the year - hey its free so yeah)

A free race with beer at the end.  Who would NOT want to do the whole series?

Great running there Greg and Cecil.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

17:22.  Yay, I got a goal, but I still suck nearly as bad as I was afraid of.

I got greedy and went through 1600m in 5:30 gunning for sub-17.  But it wasn't happening today, no way, no how.  5:37 second mile.  So roughly 5:45 for the third mile.  Conditions were great, I am just fat and need much higher mileage.

This just might have been enough to tip me back into being motivated to do something about it.

So was this done on the Spaniel track?

Passed by the Lizton exit at about 12:30 on Friday and waved.  A little over 1,000 miles driving, we got here last night.  Nashville traffic sucks.  Found out that driving through Kentucky and Tennessee, they really don't drive all that well.  People say Chicago drivers suck, but at least they're organized in how they suck in their driving.  Felt good to stretch out and get a long run in this morning.

C-R

Hell's no. This was at a real HS track. I think spaniel's track is only allowed for beer miles but local code (or something).

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I envy you guys the B.S. 5K Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

an amazing likeness

2:25:05 official. A tad fast (which is an odd thing to say about a race, I know) but I'm happy in that I did what I set out to do, I felt great the whole way, and I'm not trashed. Highly encouraging.

Onward to that other race in 3 weeks (+1 day).

For all you folks in other parts of the country, let me describe today here in the northeast...35F, some version of rain to drizzle off and on, wind steady from the northeast at 15, gusting to 25. Northeast for this race means "off the water, quartering the runner's left side to left front", the ocean, which is 36F this time of year -- so cold and damp. I headed out for a light run, planning on 70 - 90 minutes, and bagged it after 5 miles of total misery, soaked and cold.

Had I signed up for this race this year, I would have DNS.

Feeling the growl again

The Spaniel Track is probably good for +2 minutes on a 5K.  Although maybe three guys pounding a 5K on it while soft and spongy would have leveled it out some.  I tried running workouts on it after I built it but it's very hard to run fast on due to the old cow print rutting; I should find some way to roll that thing but I have like 1000 other priorities and for the beer mile the running hardly makes a difference.