3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

September 2014 racing thread (Read 33 times)

1OA, 34:53 on my watch.  On the hard end of tempo from when I locked up 1st at 2 miles until finding some higher gears over the last half mile.  For in the 70s with 97% humidity I'm very, very happy with this on this course.

Nice job Spaniel!  Under 35 when you were hoping for under 36?  Good indicator of the progress you've made.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats on OA win and beating time goal spaniel!

C-R - congrats on AG win!

steph  

kcam

Yeah. Nope. 41:24 but 1AG

I don't know how you guys can even run in that weather (spaniel said was 70's and 97% humidity?).   My club's annual Handicap race was this morning (I didn't run as I'm RD) and they were all grousing about 62 deg, sunny and 58% humidity - hard conditions for us weak Californians.  'Good job' all three of ya.  Y'all are tough!

Feeling the growl again

Nice job Spaniel!  Under 35 when you were hoping for under 36?  Good indicator of the progress you've made.

I ran 37:34 last year, and WhoDat thought conditions were a bit worse this year.  36:35 in 2012, also similar conditions.   35:39 in 2011 under pretty decent conditions.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

9/21 - milktruck - Portland Trails 10K - 45:10 - Course PB

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Very nice run Spaniel, it's great to see the momentum you've got going - long may it continue.

Congrats in the AG win CR!

9/4 - Ntown Kevin - King of the Hill 5K - win 

No time goal. Just win back my race that the punk kid from HR stole last year (it's a local corporate race) when I had to run it four days after a marathon. And, especially since I'm pissed about my race this morning, will be running with a chip.

Heh. NO.

Guess the days of this race being a corporate laugher are over for a while. 2 years ago I won this with a 17:42 by over 2 minutes. 10 seconds faster this year, and finished 3rd (and the 3 of us were all within 15 seconds, with top 4 all under 17:42). Sadly, behind the guy I out-kicked last Saturday, and behind the kid from HR, both by a handful of seconds.

The kid pushed me pretty good, stride for stride, and I was cooked at mile 2 (which we hit at 11 flat together), and he got about a second every two tenths of a mile from there. My endurance is crap. Need more tempos, longer stuff. The time (17:33) isn't actually terrible on this course (King of the HILL), but I shouldn't be dying out there like I did yesterday.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Results were 1:46:12 (gun time) .  Ended up in 4th place out of 61 in my age group and 37 woman out of like 626. I'll take that.  Limiting factor today for racing was right ham string. Felt it talk a bit around mile 6 so I slowed down. Gave about 75 & effort maybe a tad more but felt great during and afterwards.  Feeling pretty good about Wineglass.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Sorry all.  I will get this thread updated for you soon.  Can you believe they expect me to work??  Crazy.

9/12 - spaniel - Hendricks County HM - 1:15, 1OA

Likely more of a time trial than race, the race is in its third year and the CR is >1:20, I believe.  No logical reason to think I can run under 1:15, but with starting temps predicted in the 40s (!!!) I'm betting on the weather to bring out fitness that has been masked by running in summer weather.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Results were 1:46:12 (gun time) .  Ended up in 4th place out of 61 in my age group and 37 woman out of like 626. I'll take that.  Limiting factor today for racing was right ham string. Felt it talk a bit around mile 6 so I slowed down. Gave about 75 & effort maybe a tad more but felt great during and afterwards.  Feeling pretty good about Wineglass.

So 75% effort = solid PR?  Nice.

Rocken - 146 at 75%.. wow. doing great these days.

Kev - That sounds like a brutal final mile.

Spaniel - Im curious as to how fast you are right now too! Glad you're going for it.

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

C-R

Wow Rocken. Considering the previous health issues a new PR is awesome and at 75% is down right super.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Wow Rocken. Considering the previous health issues a new PR is awesome and at 75% is down right super.

+1

I'm curious to see what the drop in temps lead to as well...  I'm glad he's not focused on the 5k. 

9/28 - mbehr - Still Shuffle 5k; 5k - 16:35

We got the whole family signed up for this.  The mini-behr's have been wanting to do a 5k for some time now.  We said if they show us they want to run it and actually train for it, they can do it.  We put a little training plan together (mix of running, soccer, swimming, biking, etc.) and they've been good on getting out there and showing us they're committed to this.  When I told them last night I signed them up, you should have seen the excitement on their faces.  Makes me proud.  Now I'm just trying to teach junior that every run is not a race but that every run has a purpose.

C-R

Makes me proud.  Now I'm just trying to teach junior that every run is not a race but that every run has a purpose.

Tell me about it. Although I think it's getting through. P mentioned only running the 5k  with one of his team mates so he can save his legs for the meets. I old him I thought it a good idea. Frankly I think he feels sorry for me and wants me to finish a race in front of him.

Oh and the whole fam is participating in our 5k. Even P's twin who thinks running is punishment.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/