3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Hug your kids (Read 363 times)

Hey y'all. I posted something similar in the CT runner thread, but...it's been a day, and I still need to vent, or share or whatever. So...I've been kind of messed up the last 36 hours or so - I imagine a lot you have. Especially those with little kids, but even if you don't - the sandy hook thing is pretty universally understood. Anyway, my sister in law (and one of my good friends who married her) and my niece and nephew live in Sandy Hook. They are fine. Physically. My nephew is 5 yo, and though he goes to the catholic school down the street (thank God), he went to preschool with a lot of the kids at SHE, and some of his friends are among the dead. They're coming over tomorrow to play with my kids, to just get out of newtown for a day. 

Anyway, this post is kind of rambling, and I don't mean to say anything other than to remind you of what you already know - to love the ones you're with as much as you can while you can. 

I'm not fishin' for support or prayers or any of that (though it's all welcome)...just venting, and knowing that some of you are feeling the same way (angry and frustrated and sad). 

Carry on.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
    xhristopher

This one has numbed me a bit. I can't recall avoiding the news surrounding such an event as this. Going back and forth to NY every 6 weeks or so for the last 15 years, I know exactly where this is. This morning I learned one of the teachers killed is a cousin of a friend of mine. It seems like such a complex problem to solve... we can't point to any one or two things. Ugh.

MTA: Oh, and answering questions from my 10 year old about this... One of the aids in his classroom was reading the news on this in the classroom and he saw and read the headlines over her shoulder on the computer screen. He didn't say anything until he got home with questions. Not happy bout that.

C-R

I talked to my two 11 yo and 14 yo about this today. Frankly I was sick to my stomach yesterday when I heard the news at after lunch. Can't imagine what the families are enduring. We had a very frank discussion about good and evil as well as mental illness. I've said many a prayer for the families for some peace. This kind of thing is just plain hard to comprehend.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

These events always strike a chord with me because a former mentor of mine, someone I was fairly close to, was killed in one of the nationally publicized mass shootings several years ago.  I knew the wife and kids he left behind.  With the added whammy of having kids the age of those in the school, I have been particularly morose after this one.  

And I wish the media would STFU.  What happened to real journalism where you validated information before you broadcasted it as truth?  I have never seen a story where so much false information was aired and then changed multiple times.

My thoughts and prayers are with your relatives.  May they find a way to deal with their grief.  May we as a society find a way to get some sort of handle on these sociopaths.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

My kids are adults but it doesn't make any difference.  You are a parent until the day that you die.  This one hurts.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

My kids are adults but it doesn't make any difference.  You are a parent until the day that you die.  This one hurts.

Yes.  

steph  

an amazing likeness

My sister in-law's (wife's sister) daughter died in her early 20s. Seeing her pain through those dark days and the years since has convinced me beyond no end there must be few things in life more gut wrenching than a parent outliving their child. Dear god....what they must be going through at this time, I can't fathom.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

My kid's in second grade.  If something like this happened to my child, it would absolutely break me -- I honestly cannot imagine having the ability or desire to wake up every morning.  Prayers to the parents and siblings of the slain.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Not surprising...how do runners cope? Run a race. Strides for Sandy Hook 5k 

Jan 19. Had some initial misgivings about it (and not because Newtown is hilly as all getout!) - but seemed kind of early to be descending on the town with what will probably be a humongous mess of a race. But talked to SIL - though she wants the circus out of town right now (f'in westboro idiots picketing all over the place, reporters, gawkers), she wants me to run this. So run it I will.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Kalsarikännit

f'in westboro idiots

Revolting.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

I hate those Westboro people so much. I was so sad they showed up in Newtown. This makes me thankful: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/times-we-beat-the-westboro-baptist-church?fb_source=timeline&ref=profile&refid=17&s=mobile

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

C-R

I hate those Westboro people so much. I was so sad they showed up in Newtown. This makes me thankful: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/times-we-beat-the-westboro-baptist-church?fb_source=timeline&ref=profile&refid=17&s=mobile

I cannot stand these people. They make my skin crawl. The Patriot Riders seem to have their number and that helps. Don't mess with ex-military motorcycle guys.

Funniest one in the list - They like Nickelback. Damn near spit out my tea on my keyboard.

Had a couple of long talks with the kids about this. Seems childhood gets shorter and shorter each generation.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I cannot stand these people. 

+1.

This is one of those cases where I value the 1st Amendment, but still find myself completely unsympathetic if they hit an appropriately placed patch of black ice on the way home.  Someday karma is going to be a real bitch.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

This is one of those cases where I value the 1st Amendment, but still find myself completely unsympathetic if they hit an appropriately placed patch of black ice on the way home.  Someday karma is going to be a real bitch.

Or if they accidentally ran the back of their leg into a baseball bat.  Somehow.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Or if they accidentally ran the back of their leg into a baseball bat.  Somehow.

+1.