3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Spaniel Farms Beer Mile - July 26, 2014 (Read 68 times)

C-R

I'm still wondering why he thought that would be a good choice.

IKR. I have six more in the fridge and they don't look so good to me anymore.

What an epic Beer Mile fail.

But man I had a good time.

Next year - stick to the plan. That's my call.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

A big learning for me this year was just leave the beer room temp.  Bud is not any more nasty room temp than cold.  And I had far less perceived problems with carbonation than in years past.  I don't know what caused the side ache but unless it repeats I won't blame the brand or temp of beer for that....I do remember cold beer being problematic in early years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Bud is not any more nasty room temp than cold.  

Made me smile at that.

Congratulations on the very speedy beer mile spaniel.

Glad that all of you had a good time and great pictures too.

steph  

Ostrich runner

Thought I'd make a cameo just to say I'm sorry I missed it. It's going to be my 2015 goal race. 8 weeks until the two city living is over.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Thought I'd make a cameo just to say I'm sorry I missed it. It's going to be my 2015 goal race. 8 weeks until the two city living is over.

1)  Most of all happy that you get to spend more time with those of us who have a full mouth of teeth.

2) Beer mile as a goal race = uber awesome.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Joann Y

I think I've grown a new spare tire. Made out of beer. Thank you for that.

Just a dude.

Will that help or hurt you on the next Beer Mile?

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Joann Y

Eventually it will hinder me. It needs to go!

Feeling the growl again

Nah.  You can thank my wife's famous burgers for that one....

Congrats all on the Beer miles! - I wish I could get out there to join in the fun.

Feeling the growl again

Congrats all on the Beer miles! - I wish I could get out there to join in the fun.

I'm sure I could conjure a special award for anyone crossing an ocean to attend....

Ok - so before today, I really couldn't appreciate what a 6:47 really is. I mean, I've seen the video of the 5 minute guy. It all looks so easy.

Finally tried (and failed) to time trial one today. First beer was 32 seconds. Second was 46. And after 800m I threw in the towel. Maybe with practice (a lot) and the right drink I could maybe get down to 8 minutes? Maybe.

What's the consensus on warm vs. cold? I tried warm today, and it was just awful. I think that contributed most to me bailing. The thought of having two more warm ones on top of the running - just didn't sit right.

MTA: I see that you've written "room temp". It's awful. Just awful.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          C-R

Beer mile time trial - damn.

I think we've determined room temp and ice cold both are poor choices. Plain chilled seems the best option.

Oh and Fat Tire is a really poor choice of beer - just sayin.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Ok - so before today, I really couldn't appreciate what a 6:47 really is. I mean, I've seen the video of the 5 minute guy. It all looks so easy.

Finally tried (and failed) to time trial one today. First beer was 32 seconds. Second was 46. And after 800m I threw in the towel. Maybe with practice (a lot) and the right drink I could maybe get down to 8 minutes? Maybe.

What's the consensus on warm vs. cold? I tried warm today, and it was just awful. I think that contributed most to me bailing. The thought of having two more warm ones on top of the running - just didn't sit right.

MTA: I see that you've written "room temp". It's awful. Just awful.

Hah, yeah the 5min thing looked easy because IMHO it wasn't real.  Smile   I still have yet to find any bottle/can that will empty as fast as he emptied those, regardless of how fast you can drink them.

13 seconds on the first beer is very good.  Anything faster becomes increasingly impressive to us amateurs.  I think on the 6:47 I averaged 20sec/beer overall.

Personally I think room temp is the way to go.  Chilled beer knots up my stomach.  The warmer the beer, the less CO2 it will hold.  Simple physics.  Warm vs cold on the taste thing....I'm already drinking Bud, and I grew up surrounded by Busch Light, so it's not like it's getting much worse!

The hardest part for me is mental.  You have to convince yourself you won't die and overcome the need to breath.  You have to be able to hold your breath while you are panting for air to get down at least 1/4 to 1/3 of a can between breaths.

Personally I think room temp is the way to go.  Chilled beer knots up my stomach.  The warmer the beer, the less CO2 it will hold.  Simple physics.  Warm vs cold on the taste thing....I'm already drinking Bud, and I grew up surrounded by Busch Light, so it's not like it's getting much worse!

That explains so much right there...