3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Spring races (Read 340 times)

Jan - 45 mi (goal is to complete it)

Feb - 50 mi (goal is < 8hrs)

Apr - 12hr track race (goal is 80 mi)

May - 145 mi (goal is <30hrs)

Sep - maybe a 24hr race (goal is personal)

At the moment this all seems wildly optimistic.

I'm still trying to comprehend this... 

My version would be like:

Jan - 1/2 marathon (PR)

Feb - 4 mile (<21)

Mar - 5k or 10k

Apr - 26.2 (pretend like I can still run fast)

Purdey, I don't know how you guys recover from those distances and keep going.  Impressive schedule and goals.  I'll be looking forward to hearing about you putting some hurt in the hurtlocker.

Purdey

Self anointed title

OK, that makes sense.

I'm asking as I'm planning on trying monthly 4-hour runs (pace irrelevant) to try and prepare for my spring 50.  Part of me wants to do something a bit longer as 4 hours seems to be about where something on me always breaks (at race effort) but I'm concerned with recovery.

But you've run that far before without your back becoming a whiny brat so I'm sure you will be fine.  The 12-hour I have zero perspective on but I hope to one day.  Smile

Andy - no need to go longer than 4hrs to prep for a 50.  Consistent volume, and doubling, is of more benefit.  There is a tipping point where the benefits of a super long run are outweighed by the damage it does to your subsequent training.  I always find it is of more benefit to be able to have a half decent run the day after a long run than to run super long for the sake of it. I guess this partly answers the recovery question - I tend not to do very long training runs.  Others have a different approach though - but maybe they recover better than me!

Spaniel - I have nowhere near the experience doing ultras that Purdey does, but I generally ran by target mileage rather than time with my longest run being 35 miles.  It generally worked out that the majority of my 30 mile long runs were about 4 hours anyway except for on really hilly trail.  So it basically echoes Purdey's comments just a different parameter for measurement.  I do think that the terrain you run on also impacts recovery.  I almost always recover faster when running on technical hilly trail than flat roads or trails.

At your speed a four hour run may end up being closer to 35 miles, so you may not want to run that far every month.   You may want to consider a buildup cycle, something like 22-24, 26-28, 30-32, cutback, then repeat.  I didn't do a good job of following this though.  

Personally, although I think long runs are good for getting comfortable with the distance/time on your feet, they don't simulate race conditions.  I never once experienced the nausea or energy issues during long runs or even racing 50Ks that I felt 4-5 hours into racing a 50.

Feeling the growl again

Personally, although I think long runs are good for getting comfortable with the distance/time on your feet, they don't simulate race conditions.  I never once experienced the nausea or energy issues during long runs or even racing 50Ks that I felt 4-5 hours into racing a 50.

Thanks for the thoughts.  My main concern is time-on-feet; I feel I must keep working on that so I don't end up stopping with a pansy reason like a tweaked back.  This last one I think my stomach was behind a bit on processing my intake but, other than that, I had no nutritional issues and was doing well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This is my first time in this forum...wish I had found it sooner.

Anybody else planning to run the Atlanta marathon in March? It'll be my first marathon. Didn't think I'd ever want to race at that distance, but I managed a 1:32 for my first HM last month, and now I find myself wanting to take it up to 70+ miles per week and see where this goes. This year has been full of surprises...

Is it unrealistic to aim for a BQ time in my first marathon? I'd like to run Boston before we move back out west, and the qualifying time for my age -- I'll be 45 next July -- doesn't seem out of reach. Or is a first marathon always a shock in terms of just getting through it?

a 1:32 for my first HM last month, and now I find myself wanting to take it up to 70+ miles per week and see where this goes. This year has been full of surprises...

With that half and hanging out at 70, and with a good training cycle, i'd be thinking of not bq, but bq minus how much. That, plus all your shorter prs are begging to be wiped out. 

Get it done.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

That, plus all your shorter prs are begging to be wiped out. 

Yeah, I was running sub-20 5Ks during some of my time trials in Aug/Sep.  I couldn't believe the difference once I got my mileage consistently over 60 mpw this year. It's night and day.

Anybody else planning to run the Atlanta marathon in March? It'll be my first marathon. Didn't think I'd ever want to race at that distance, but I managed a 1:32 for my first HM last month, and now I find myself wanting to take it up to 70+ miles per week and see where this goes. This year has been full of surprises...

Is it unrealistic to aim for a BQ time in my first marathon? I'd like to run Boston before we move back out west, and the qualifying time for my age -- I'll be 45 next July -- doesn't seem out of reach. Or is a first marathon always a shock in terms of just getting through it?

First off, welcome to the Hurtlocker!

Looking at your half time, McMillan predicts a 3:14:30 for you.  That's well under your BQ time.  Like Gville said, hanging out at 70 and getting a good training cycle will get your there.  All I have to say is keep running, stay healthy and get it done!

First off, welcome to the Hurtlocker!

Looking at your half time, McMillan predicts a 3:14:30 for you.  That's well under your BQ time.  Like Gville said, hanging out at 70 and getting a good training cycle will get your there.  All I have to say is keep running, stay healthy and get it done!

Thanks! I love the "get it done" attitude here.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Hey, mstuartm.  Welcome.  I'm over here near Augusta but I won't be running the Georgia marathon. 

Runnerclay who stops by here occasionally might be.  He lives up around Atlanta.  Good luck with it.

It sounds like you will do well if you stick with it.

steph  

#artbydmcbride

I plan to race a few half marathons in January and maybe some 10ks too, then my goal race is Surf City Marathon in February.  A few more half marathons and 10ks in March, then race the Boston Marathon in April. and run 3 or 4 half marathons in May.   This thread is just about Spring races, right?

Runners run

My goals are so short compared to most RA'ers that I almost don't feel like a real runner!

But here goes: way back in the olden days, I remember speed and I loved it. I want back to that sweet speed spot. So with this in mind, between now and June, I'm hoping to race 1-2 x 5K (dream goal times: 18-19 min.); 1 x 8K (dream goal time: 30-32 min.) 1-2 x 10K (dream goal times: 36-38 min.); 1 HM (dream goal time: 1:22). Before the end of August, I want to step on that track and fly...and not come last.

My dreams aren't always realistic but if I dream big, sometimes I get there Smile

xhristopher

Hey folks. I figure I'll jump in too. I had a good run in the winter/spring of 2011 then got injured, spent 5 months not running, and have been building back since. I took this year as a learning year, figuring out how to better listen to my body, practicing racing skill, and had fun running in general. My only pr was the stroller 5k. No more excuses next year. I'm going to kick it off with the Disney half marathon trying to get as far under 1:24 as possible then it's onward to Boston. I'll toss in a few long tune up races on the way. The goal at Boston, as it was in 2011, will be sub 3. I suppose I could pick a better course for that.

Seeing as the GSP has become even more so lately, I decided it was time for me look into the sub-groups more.  This place looks great.  Wish I'd have found this one about a year ago--but, then, a year ago the mileage might have freaked me out.

January - Hi-Point Harriers Half Marathon on New Year's.  Assuming the roads aren't iced over, I'll probably try to break 1:30 and fail.   I haven't ever raced a half, so I'm doing this mostly to learn how to execute a half.  Specifically, how to execute one with a hangover.

Early April - ORRRC Half Marathon.  The more serious bid at breaking 1:30.

Late April - Forget the PR 50K.  Yes, I realize the stupidity of it so soon after.  No real goal time for this one, though.

My plans haven't made it further than April yet.  I will probably throw in some 5K, 10K and other races here and there as time trials.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

Jan - 1/2 marathon (PR)

Now I'm bummed.  Tried signing up this past weekend for the HM in Milwaukee only to find out both heats are full already.  That one would have been a perfect recipe for a PR.

Not sure what I'll find in the area as a replacement.  May have to wait until March...