3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

And people are clapping you on the back and saying, "Good job!"  WTF?

Evil

Hope the virus-whatever thingie passes quickly and you're back to rawr-mode soon.

Well, I'm trying to focus on training purpose and not being stupid for stunting Wink

It took a few days after that to feel right again as it was.  But I'm rawr-ing along pretty well right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I have a training question and this seemed like as good a place as any to put it.

I had a 3 x 1.5 mile workout planned for last night. It was way too windy to attempt outside, so I was left with doing it on the treadmill. I was a bit tired, but nothing that should have prevented me from doing the workout. I did a 2 mile warmup and then shortly into the first interval I just bailed. I seem to have a problem doing these kinds of workouts on the treadmill. I did the same thing with a 3 x 1600m a few weeks back. I don't think I would of had a problem finishing this if I had been outside. I did a 4 x 1 mile last week outside with no problem.

The question is, do I try and make up this workout tonight or do I just skip it and go on? Today would normally be a day off. I could do yesterday's workout tonight, take off Thursday or do something really easy,  do Thursday's workout on Friday, and then be back on schedule.

Just not worrying about it and moving on is obviously the easiest thing to do, but this is the Hurtlocker and I'm curious what others would do.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I tried the workout and failed doing it outside, so it wasn't just an issue with doing it on the treadmill. I guess I need to reevaluate my training and make sure I'm not trying to take on more than I'm ready to handle.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Probably just a bad day, try again next week.  Although. 3 X 1.5 K at 10K pace is a tough workout.

kcam

Whodat - Sounds a lot like how I feel at the start of an interval session.  Wanting to bail on the first interval happens to me more often than not.  I do my workouts alone and the first one is always the toughest.  If I'm running the workout with someone I never have that problem.

I did a 6X1200 workout this morning and NEARLY bailed after the first 400.  It just felt way too hard and in my mind I was thinking ahead to doing all those fastish 400's to complete the workout.  Instead of bailing I soldiered on through the first one and then, magically, they started getting a lot more manageble until the last one I felt like I could easily have done another.

To answer your question, I think if I bailed on a workout I don't think I'd try to rearrange things to make it up.

I wouldn't read too much into it, which is easier said than done, I know. Maybe the first unsuccessful effort was too much in your head and made it easier to bail on the second. Obviously I don't know if that's the case but it's plausible. So much of this stuff is a mental game. Don't beat yourself up about it too much (a little is probably okay) and most importantly, keep rolling. Tomorrow, do whatever tomorrow's supposed to be and keep going.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Feeling the growl again

Shit happens.  Maybe you didn't sleep enough or drank too much beer last night.

If I have a workout planned and something is off and I bail, I will often try it again the next day if I get more sleep or whatever (lately that is the most likely culprit).  Usually, it's fine.  If I fail a second day I take a couple easy days then try a workout again.

Of course, I am not following a plan.  Unless the plan is, doing workouts when my body will allow and just trying to fit in as much as possible.  That's the only plan I have right now.

And apparently, that is enough for my left hamstring to think I am an ass.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I tried the workout and failed doing it outside, so it wasn't just an issue with doing it on the treadmill. I guess I need to reevaluate my training and make sure I'm not trying to take on more than I'm ready to handle.

May I ask why you bailed?

If it is a lack of sleep or bad day at the office type thing what I would do is dial down the effort level from the get go.  Sometimes I would stay at that level, other times once the blood got flowing I could pick up the effort level.  So if you are just having a blah day then maybe try easing back the effort level at the start of the workout.  This has worked for me.  In the grand scheme of things a few seconds a mile doesn't mean much.  Every day is different.  Follow the trend line and don't worry about the peaks and valleys.

If you are pushing too hard and over training I would think that there would be other signs and not just having to bail on a workout.  For me it was always shitty night's sleep, restless legs, etc.  If I am training well I sleep like a log at night.

That's all I got.

Not at it at all. 

If I bail a workout I will often come back the next day and do another cut down workout to compensate as I don't like the physiological thought of a X against it.  And if it was just an off day I'll often feel better the next day anyway.

On the rare occasion I feel like I've dug myself a hole and the workout is the last straw (I’ve probably only had this a couple of times over the years) I'll just run easy until I start to feel good again, this can take a week or so.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I bailed on the workouts due to being a little tired and not quite recovered enough for a quality workout. Looking back at my last couple of completed runs, they were probably a little harder to complete than they should have been. I've been doing more quality work lately than I've ever done before and mileage, although not really very high, is probably the most consistent volume I've done. I felt really good going into this training and think maybe I've been just a little too aggressive and it's starting to catch up with me.

I think what I'll do is take it easy today and tomorrow and dial back my training plan just a little bit. Nothing drastic, just enough to hopefully make sure I'm recovered well enough to hit all my workouts without struggling. It will still be more than I've done in the past, so not enough training stimulus won't be a problem.

There's no real good reason for someone like me to push it close to the line. If I'm too tired I won't be able to hurt myself properly. Smile

C-R

If you are pushing too hard and over training I would think that there would be other signs and not just having to bail on a workout.  For me it was always shitty night's sleep, restless legs, etc.  If I am training well I sleep like a log at night.

This. Plus workouts on the tm are hard to get done (for me at least). Not sure if it has to do with the spatial issue or what.

I say give it a day and try again. I bet you'll surprise yourself.

Otherwise HTFU already! Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

drank too much beer last night.

I was cutting back on beer to try and lose some weight. I think that was my problem. Not enough beer.

Feeling the growl again

There's no real good reason for someone like me to push it close to the line.

BS.  That's like saying there's no reason to try so hard because you're not Olympic talent.  Smile

BS.  That's like saying there's no reason to try so hard because you're not Olympic talent.  Smile

+1. That's how you get the line to move, by pushing up against it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Yes.  And don't sell your self short!

steph