3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

A sin, but a good read (Khannouchi retires) (Read 442 times)

Feeling the growl again

Impeachable offense of linking to letsrun.

Apologies, rare moment of weakness.  I promise I did not visit the message board.

Khannouchi was the king when I started marathoning.  I have a poster he signed for me at my first Boston in 2001.  I must admit I thought he retired or faded away without announcement years ago.

The incredible part to point out is that his PR and former WR is now 46th on the all-time list.  Just incredible change in a relatively short period of time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I skimmed the link - But I thought I read somewhere that he had some imbalance issue - Either 1 leg longer than the other or something that made him very injury prone.  I think it was the same place I read or heard he was coing back (In the last 2 years)

I agree - He had a storied career - Maybe he cna write a book and go on the special guest speaker of marathons tour - Sooner or later Rogers will get tired of that gig.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for the article.  I wondered whatever happened to him.

I can't train hard and if you can't train at a certain level where you can be competitive it's not worth it to keep wasting time.

Interesting how an elite marathoner and a fat middle aged hobby jogger can think alike.  I actually get this.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Thanks for the article.  I wondered whatever happened to him.

I can't train hard and if you can't train at a certain level where you can be competitive it's not worth it to keep wasting time.

Interesting how an elite marathoner and a fat middle aged hobby jogger can think alike.  I actually get this.

Nice read even if I had to sneak into LR. They seem to be hell on us hobbyjoggers.

I have to admit I had no idea who he was but wow. This guy was great in his day. Some unfortunate issues and injuries but he seems pretty level headed based on the interview and accomplishments.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

???

Will he hang up his trainers or will he still run for the joy of it.  I always find it interesting how many ex-good or great runners just turn the light switch off and do not run / jog at all.  I understand the "on" and "Off" thing, but I think it makes a statement of why they were running in the 1st place ... Because they love to run or they love to be great at running.

For me its neither - I run for 2 reasons:  1)  Its how I stay under 300# and 2) To satisfy a cumpulsion or maybe to direct cumpulsion to something less unealthy.  I am not a runner ... most days at least.

Feeling the growl again

???

Will he hang up his trainers or will he still run for the joy of it.  I always find it interesting how many ex-good or great runners just turn the light switch off and do not run / jog at all. 

I've always had a hard time determining if a lot of them really turn completely off, or if they just stop competing.  I can sure understand how busting up the local 5Ks does not excite an Olympian.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

A central figure for races out on by our running club was an elite masters runner (Mile - 5k).  His daughter was a 31Tight lippedx 10k runner.  When she was done - She ran no more.  I also know decent D3 runners that do the same. I do not know many true top level elites.

But on the flip side - I know a few other very good runners that keep running - Never race - Don't wear a watch, but love going out for 5-8 miles a day. 

I've always had a hard time determining if a lot of them really turn completely off, or if they just stop competing.  I can sure understand how busting up the local 5Ks does not excite an Olympian.

Will he hang up his trainers or will he still run for the joy of it.  I always find it interesting how many ex-good or great runners just turn the light switch off and do not run / jog at all.  I understand the "on" and "Off" thing, but I think it makes a statement of why they were running in the 1st place ... Because they love to run or they love to be great at running.

Not hanging 'em up.  From the article:

His days of a competitive runner may be over, but he's a runner for life. "I want forever to be a runner, running 20 or 30 miles a week, jog races or whatever it is and have fun," he said.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

???

Will he hang up his trainers or will he still run for the joy of it.

He also said this.....

His days of a competitive runner may be over, but he's a runner for life. "I want forever to be a runner, running 20 or 30 miles a week, jog races or whatever it is and have fun," he said.

MTA: Clive beat me to it.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

So he is joining our hobby jogging status ... So when he posts how fast we think he can run a marathon on 20-30 MPW - What are you going to tell him? 

He also said this.....

MTA: Clive beat me to it.

C-R

So he is joining our hobby jogging status ... So when he posts how fast we think he can run a marathon on 20-30 MPW - What are you going to tell him? 

If he's planning on running a marathon on 20-30 mpw, his injury issues are just going to get worse.

Of course he could always Gallow- Walk.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Jogging races.  Heh.  His jogging would still yield a sub 3 marathon, me thinks.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Jogging races.  Heh.  His jogging would still yield a sub 3 2:25 marathon, me thinks.

FIFY  (I was sub-3 for the first half of a 50-miler attempt as an out-of shape fatass last fall.

I know a few former elite and national class guys.  I can't say any quit completely.  Some still race occasionally.  Some quit for awhile but it eventually yanked them back in as they approached Masters status.