3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Feeling the growl again

One advantage of being short is ability to work standing up at standard desks.  Get a lot of weird looks and comments the few times I am in the office and do this. 

We have areas which have "office of the future" or "integrated workplace" (IWP) furniture rather than standard cubes.  In fact standard cubes are becoming scarce here.  IWP desks adjust all the way from knee level up to where you can sit in a chair underneath them and it clears your head.  Lots of vertical adjustment.

My current job requires doing a lot of research, working with printouts to organize thoughts and leads, etc.  So I need a fixed place where I can set this up and not be disturbed.  The "integrated workplace" areas have rules that no one owns a specific workstation.  If you are gone for more than 2 hours you must pack everything up and put it in a locker a distance away.  So we need to find an area where our entire group can have an exception to own our workstations. 

It is taking much longer than we anticipated. Angry   It also does not help that due to the amount of typing I do and residual injury from being thrown down in the HM this spring, I now have wrist issues which require installation of non-standard keyboard equipment.

We have some 2mph treadmill desks.  It is a 8min walk to them from here but I am tempted to go use them when doing work that is agreeable with the limitations of that setup.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The disadvantage of being short is when you do choose to sit at your desk you have to get a support to rest your feet on otherwise they hang in dead space and you feel like a child trapped on the loo.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

The disadvantage of being short is when you do choose to sit at your desk you have to get a support to rest your feet on otherwise they hang in dead space and you feel like a child trapped on the loo.

Heh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

So I learned today (from a Rheumatologist) that, and I would agree, your 'constitution' (in terms of body makeup/genetics) and how much it is stressed by activity/environment will contribute to whether or not you will develop Osteoarthritis...I think that is fair, if somewhat common sense. 

However I also learned that Mo Farah runs maybe 20 or 30 miles (yes, that many) a week, but he is one of the few people to be able to cope with that because he has a good constitution...the rest of us would get OA on 4-5 miles a week.  I guess we're screwed then...and WTF?  This only worries me because these people are patient-facing and should get their facts straight. This talk was in front of researchers, patients and members of the public.  Unless he's talking about Mo's lifetime average, which may be fair, maybe, as you can count on him not having run that many miles a week until he was in his teens...

Not sure why I'm posting this here, but tough.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

So I learned today (from a Rheumatologist) that, and I would agree, your 'constitution' (in terms of body makeup/genetics) and how much it is stressed by activity/environment will contribute to whether or not you will develop Osteoarthritis...I think that is fair, if somewhat common sense. 

However I also learned that Mo Farah runs maybe 20 or 30 miles (yes, that many) a week, but he is one of the few people to be able to cope with that because he has a good constitution...the rest of us would get OA on 4-5 miles a week.  I guess we're screwed then...and WTF?  This only worries me because these people are patient-facing and should get their facts straight. This talk was in front of researchers, patients and members of the public.  Unless he's talking about Mo's lifetime average, which may be fair, maybe, as you can count on him not having run that many miles a week until he was in his teens...

Not sure why I'm posting this here, but tough.

Because you felt like sucker punching the rheumatologist for being such an ignorant jackass?

(This is why I get irritated when people take anybody with some credential like MD or whatever as gospel truth)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

The King of Beasts

However I also learned that Mo Farah runs maybe 20 or 30 miles (yes, that many) a week, but he is one of the few people to be able to cope with that because he has a good constitution...the rest of us would get OA on 4-5 miles a week.  I guess we're screwed then...and WTF?  

umm ? but. huh.

wow.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Yep.  It worries and annoys me too that people assume someone with a qualification like MD knows about everything (even stuff that is outside their field or realms of experience).  In this case it is more concerning because a lot of the work this guy does is pretty solid and in the field of OA...so when he comes out with crap like this it really could be trusted by people (given those people are unlikely to be runners, but they may well be potential runners considering taking up something that would turn them into freaks, but healthier ones).

So yeah.  I think I did want to sucker punch him.

On another sucker punch topic, I finally ran that 30 miles this morning.  It's been a tough running year for me with the back/hip/knee/calf/cankle/foot issues setting things back a lot and still lingering.  However I finally committed to it and although hugely undertrained (longest run in the last 9 months is 20 miles, longest ever of straight running is 21 although I did bimble 23 miles in a day once) I took the chickens way and ran at a comfy pace the whole way with a slight negative split.  Brian ran the last 17.5 with me which was awesome as it meant he carried some food and drink....sadly I wasn't in the mood for much nourishment (I made him carry much, much more than needed...1,5 litres of liquid, 30 jelly babies, 100g of cheesey potato snacks, 2 cake bars and my waterproof, phone and loo roll) but did make use of 8 jelly babies and 250ml of Nuun, so at least took in something and finished with tired legs but feeling strong.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good for you Hop!

steph  

Thanks TeaOlive! Nothing compared to all the long stuff you put it, but you have to start somewhere I guess.

Can I put in a request to sucker punch the next person who bloody tells me I shouldn't be running this week and I should be resting?!  I wouldn't run if things hurt, but they don't.  I felt a bit fatigued and stiff in my left quad on Monday, but it was eased with a gentle bimble.  Yesterday things felt better still and again they improved further with another very gentle bimble.  Today I feel normal, but I still only did a gentle and short run.  I'm not running Friday and may well not run at the weekend as we're away, I'm not running fast (well I can't do that at the best of times), I'm not running far and I am bloody listening to my body....so stop bloody telling me how it should be feeling and how I shouldn't be running.  I don't respond well to doing jack shit and seem to recover better if I stimulate rather than vegetate (I know this is an unknown with longer distances for me, but I am trying to be sensible and sensible is taking me to run how I currently am).

Hah.  Well I last whinged in here in this thread October so I guess it's time for another one.

Two weeks of skiing and my legs felt awesome...didn't run, which sucked a bit, but there wasn't anywhere to run due to the heavy snow and all the roads being closed to pedestrians due to avalanche risk. So,4 days of running since I got back and I've had to take today off because my back/hips/legs are playing up big style....buzzing continuously (from around the hip/lower back down the back and outside of my thighs and in to my calves) and feel like they've been overstretched and thumped, can't actually bend to touch just above my knee without shooting/buzzing issues....lying and sitting are unpleasant, standing less so, walking and running are better again but they seem to make everything worse when I then stop moving.  WTF. Going to get a sports massage in the hope it's just weirded out muscles having spasms and irritating a few nerves.

Feeling the growl again

I would think things would be a bit weirded out after 2 weeks of skiing...fun stuff but it is hard on the body.

I agree on it being hard on the body, and that was without any massive wipeouts!  It definitely used different muscles, and 13 days of it in a row followed by going cold turkey and back to running  was probably a shock to the system.  My hamstrings seemed really tight on Sunday and then the calves joined in, so I am hoping it's just the issue of going from skiing to running...but it's a shame it's not letting me sit/lie/stand etc very easily right now.  The fact it is both legs is both reassuring and annoying.  Hoping that no running combined with some gentle stretches and yoga-y stuff today will ease things along.

C-R

I would think things would be a bit weirded out after 2 weeks of skiing...fun stuff but it is hard on the body.

+1

I get odd soreness after just one evening of soccer so 2 weeks of skiing would add to the fun.

Hope the massage helps and gets you back on the road.

If you haven't noticed, the pace bunny is throwing lots of us to the curb so you need to get back in the ring.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Hoping that no running combined with some gentle stretches and yoga-y stuff today will ease things along.

Google pigeon pose ... great stretch for the hips.  Basically anything that does this....

Also don't be afraid to get out and do some walking.  You want to keep loose.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Google pigeon pose ... great stretch for the hips.  Basically anything that does this....

Also don't be afraid to get out and do some walking.  You want to keep loose.

Friday already?

And, if I tried that, someone would need to call the waabulance to extract me from that position.