3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wishing you the best Cecil.  Glad that you are able to get out and run a bit while in treatment.

steph  

All the best Cecil.

Cancer SUCKS!

Cecil - you will be back - and stronger than ever.

Rocken - Sorry to hear about the fractures - hope you heal quickly.

Ready, go.

Yes  - on Sunday I actually did a run/walk of more than 7.5 miles   - the majority of running and I had no pain.  So I was on cloud 9 - It was also the first run I did outside - and with my usual running group.  Of course, Monday morning I woke up feeling like death.

So I was out cold for 2 weeks.  Just in bed losing fitness.

Felt better - put on the shoes and went out for a run/walk.

Nope - not happening.   3 minutes in - knee shut me down.  PT is at a loss but thinks it must be nerve.  Rest should have been good not bad.

Sigh - back to the drawing board - - will see the sports medicine @ MGH - in mid January.

If you are looking for me I'll be on the  bike to nowhere and at the pool.

Ready, go.

Feeling the growl again

Crap.  Sorry to hear this.

Nope - not happening.   3 minutes in - knee shut me down.  PT is at a loss but thinks it must be nerve.  Rest should have been good not bad.

Sigh - back to the drawing board - - will see the sports medicine @ MGH - in mid January.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Damn Tara.  Sorry to hear this.  Hope you show signs of improvement somewhere.

Feeling the growl again

Popped something loose in my rib cage....trying to get a cat out from under the couch, FFS. 

I can run, though it aggravates it a good amount.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Popped something loose in my rib cage....trying to get a cat out from under the couch, FFS. 

You should stick with the dog.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Must have been a large cat.

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Must have been a large cat.

Nah.  One of those freak things.  I put my left hand under my chest and rolled to reach further with my right hand, and there was a loud POP in front of my right armpit above where my left hand was applying pressure accompanied by moderate pain.  I can't lift much and can press down with my right arm even less (buckling my son into his car seat hurts).

The pain when running went away after awhile, but after I stopped it back back stronger.  I'm on vacation so trying to run as much as possible (treadmill failure will not help), we'll see how it goes.

Feeling the growl again

You should stick with the dog.

No idea how many times I have said that.  Not only stick with the dog but stick with the first one (spaniel).  The lab is sometimes less than useless.

Walk-Jogger

Bummer, or "FFS" is probably more appropriate. I hope that heals up quick for you. Your post caught my eye because DW and I will be chasing our youngest, smallest and mostly feral cat around the house later tonight, as it is claw-clipping time, which she hates with every fiber of her being. She always ends up under the couch, so the technique we've worked out is, I man the large fishing net with long handle while DW picks up the couch from one end. Cat runs out the other end and if I do it just right she runs right into the fishing net. If we miss, the chase starts all over again. Once she's in the net on the floor we toss a blanket over the works, and she gives up. Claws are clipped by pulling her paws through the net one at a time. It's a show that looks right out of the circus, but this is the only method we've found that works without risking one or both of us getting shredded.

Retired &  Loving It

Bummer, or "FFS" is probably more appropriate. I hope that heals up quick for you. Your post caught my eye because DW and I will be chasing our youngest, smallest and mostly feral cat around the house later tonight, as it is claw-clipping time, which she hates with every fiber of her being. She always ends up under the couch, so the technique we've worked out is, I man the large fishing net with long handle while DW picks up the couch from one end. Cat runs out the other end and if I do it just right she runs right into the fishing net. If we miss, the chase starts all over again. Once she's in the net on the floor we toss a blanket over the works, and she gives up. Claws are clipped by pulling her paws through the net one at a time. It's a show that looks right out of the circus, but this is the only method we've found that works without risking one or both of us getting shredded  

That does sound like a show out of the circus.

Walk-Jogger

Hope you heal up quick Tara. Pneumonia is serious business. Do you think your nerve pain is in the peroneal nerve? That's what I had, with no cause found on xray and MRI. . It has finally gotten 99% better and is unnoticeable, after 2+ years. I was biking a lot this summer but basically not running at all from June to October.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Bummer, or "FFS" is probably more appropriate. I hope that heals up quick for you. Your post caught my eye because DW and I will be chasing our youngest, smallest and mostly feral cat around the house later tonight, as it is claw-clipping time, which she hates with every fiber of her being. She always ends up under the couch, so the technique we've worked out is, I man the large fishing net with long handle while DW picks up the couch from one end. Cat runs out the other end and if I do it just right she runs right into the fishing net. If we miss, the chase starts all over again. Once she's in the net on the floor we toss a blanket over the works, and she gives up. Claws are clipped by pulling her paws through the net one at a time. It's a show that looks right out of the circus, but this is the only method we've found that works without risking one or both of us getting shredded.

I've had a "few" glasses of wine to dull the pain.  I almost peed myself reading this and visualizing.

You need to add a hammer to the repitoire and shorten the drama. Wink

We have leather gloves for playing with the spaniel and I was wearing one to simply reach under and grab the cat by the scruff of the neck.  I'd done it many times before, not a big deal, but this time something went wrong and just popped.

Next time I will simply skip to the step of sweeping WhoDat's insulation packing stick under the couch and smacking the cat into fleeing to easier-to-reach locations.  This is what I get for being nice for the kids.  Wink

Despite the accommodations made for my young girls these really are barn cats who need to retain their weapons so we're not clipping their claws...but they are beginning to understand that certain behaviors lead to a rather expedious exit out the back door, and others lead to hours of snuggling on a soft blanket beside the TV.

Bummer, or "FFS" is probably more appropriate. I hope that heals up quick for you. 

+1 - It's these irritating sucker punch injuries that drive you to the edge.  Hope it heals quickly - or at least doesn't take you off the road completely.

Hope you heal up quick Tara. Pneumonia is serious business. Do you think your nerve pain is in the peroneal nerve? That's what I had, with no cause found on xray and MRI. . It has finally gotten 99% better and is unnoticeable, after 2+ years. I was biking a lot this summer but basically not running at all from June to October.

Thanks Cecil. The pneumonia is 95% gone.  The knee is bad.  As bad as it was 9 weeks ago on day one. I have another consult with MGH ortho - but not until mid-Jan.  And yes - the PT indicates it's the peroneal nerve.  But cannot tell me what to do to make it better.  I have tried everything anybody has told me to do for 9 weeks - with little to no progress.  Certainly frustrating.....but I am past the mourning stage and starting the acceptance phase.  Running in 2015 may not be in the cards.....

Ready, go.