3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Holy Crap (former pros) (Read 232 times)

Feeling the growl again

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/06/04/olympian-then-and-now-bob-kennedy/

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/06/11/olympian-then-and-now-tim-broe/

These two have a lot in common.  Least important among the commonalities, that I had the chance to "meet" both of them.  I started a cross country race (2006?) next to (or very close to) Bob...before the gun went off and he was instantly 800m in front of me.  I asked Tim if it was okay for me to use the UofM track for a workout once as the team was finishing up.  I really admired both of them when they were active pros.

What strikes me about both of these interviews is how little these guys run now.  Having at least pretended to train like a pro for a few years, I can sort of understand it, but I guess I never pushed it to the point that it became like a career (because it wasn't for me) so I never ruined the love for it.  I mean, for a few years practically everything revolved around it, but I was not going to lose my paycheck if things did not go well.  Perhaps in retrospect this is a good thing about being a hobbyjogger.  I think I would be pretty sad if I wrecked my passion for active participation in the sport and didn't run much anymore.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

I have met Bob at least a dozen times and know his wife (mainly through my dad) in professional contexts. The first time I met Bob was in about 93 at a track seminar. He always hated doing those types of things...and possibly because of that, he was inspiring. My understanding is that the little bit of running he's doing now is quite a bit more than what he was doing for several years. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Ostrich runner

Anyone in Indy who wants to see some really fast times should head down to IUPUI Saturday night for the final installment of the AMC series for the year. Also this weekend is the Junior Championships in Bloomington. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Anyone in Indy who wants to see some really fast times should head down to IUPUI Saturday night for the final installment of the AMC series for the year. Also this weekend is the Junior Championships in Bloomington. 

What's the AMC series?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Now what are doing on Runner's World?  Didn't think you liked them.  I like their Racing News section so I pop in every once in a while and catch up.  I like the "Then and Now" series that you shared, pretty interesting to hear about their individual struggles and perspective on it all now. 

I see that Anne Marie Lauck is featured this week.  She's the only Olympian I've ever met and I didn't even know it at the time!  I ran my first marathon in the Twin Cities in 1997.  Early in the race, I was with two ladies (one from Colorado and one from Kansas).  Because I was naive at the time about running marathons and had half a clue of what it meant to really run that distance, I latched on to them and paced off of them.  About 6-7 miles in, Anne Marie happened to be out on a training run (she was running Chicago the next week).  The two ladies obviously were friends with her and got her attention.  She joined them and ran a better part of the race with them.  They introduced her to me.  I didn't realize her "running presence" for a good 40+ minutes until there were others (spectators and runners) let it out.  You never would have known with the casual conversation that was had as we were running.  It was a pretty cool experience. 

Oh, and I got chicked in a major way as I started falling off at about 18 miles in and they just kept cruising along. 

Feeling the growl again

Now what are doing on Runner's World?  Didn't think you liked them. 

I saw the link to the article on letsrun, which is even worse.  Wink  But I still check there from time to time as the running news compilation is good...I just don't click on the message board or original site content...