3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who needs a hamster wheel (Read 974 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

C-R

Well I finally killed mine. Yesterday at lunch I was planning a nice slow 10k and about 3 miles in I heard a nice pop and smelled ozone. Yup I burnt out the motor. Now the question is, should I change out the motor (probably can find one cheap) or just bite the bullet and get one off Craigslist from the clothes hanger treadmill crowd.

Thankfully the weather seems to be in the correct direction so I can spend time outside as verified by my nice 5 miler yesterday afternoon.

Comments and ideas are always welcome.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Well I finally killed mine. Yesterday at lunch I was planning a nice slow 10k and about 3 miles in I heard a nice pop and smelled ozone. Yup I burnt out the motor. Now the question is, should I change out the motor (probably can find one cheap) or just bite the bullet and get one off Craigslist from the clothes hanger treadmill crowd.

Thankfully the weather seems to be in the correct direction so I can spend time outside as verified by my nice 5 miler yesterday afternoon.

Comments and ideas are always welcome.

Well, I don't know the engineering without looking but I have a treadmill motor sitting upstairs from the old Sole that you can try for free.

I would be concerned that a voltage spike or something from the motor going could have damaged the electronics.  It appears the trouble with my consoles was stray voltage from a faulty ground.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Well, I don't know the engineering without looking but I have a treadmill motor sitting upstairs from the old Sole that you can try for free.

I would be concerned that a voltage spike or something from the motor going could have damaged the electronics.  It appears the trouble with my consoles was stray voltage from a faulty ground.

Sold. Electronics look ok. It cycles through the system. I'm not sure on the motor mounts but that's where a little imagination pays big dividends. Welcome to Frankenmill.

How 'bout a trade of beer for the motor?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

How 'bout a trade of beer for the motor?

Done.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

The wussy machine has now blown burned out its surge protector (excessive amperage draw?), and cries uncle ~6 miles into a run and kicks down to a walking speed (really fun when you had it set to 11+ mph).

Time to call in and escalate.  I wonder if they will just take the damn thing if I tell them I will eat the cost of the extended warranty if they give me my money back (8th service call in 14 months).

Walk-Jogger

Spaniel, you might consider shopping for your next treadmill HERE.

Retired &  Loving It

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Holy crap! A top speed of 31mph! Now that is badass.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

I don't know about that ultra-tough tmill but Purdy's treamill FAIL posts made me LOL.

Feeling the growl again

You're not far off.  Either that or a Landice.

After consulting with my wife (who has actually used it more than me lately) I am leaning towards the possibility that we have actually worn out bearings and it's running too much friction.  Drawing higher amps, overheating the motor.  I'm going to try one more run on it at my speed (my wife has no issues other than reporting it has gotten a lot louder lately) and then I'm calling it in if it acts up.

Walk-Jogger

I don't know about that ultra-tough tmill but Purdy's treamill FAIL posts made me LOL.

I'm still trying to figure which button it is on the treadmill that makes it alternate between going backwards and forwards? Confused

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

After consulting with my wife (who has actually used it more than me lately) I am leaning towards the possibility that we have actually worn out bearings and it's running too much friction.  Drawing higher amps, overheating the motor.  I'm going to try one more run on it at my speed (my wife has no issues other than reporting it has gotten a lot louder lately) and then I'm calling it in if it acts up.

Finally got around to calling it in yesterday...they didn't want to do anything unless I was with the machine to mess with it.  So I did that today. It was almost comical; they acted like it was shocking that I did not have the owner's manual and a full toolbox right there and waiting to half disassemble the entire machine rather than have them honor the service part of the warranty.

Being handy and wanting it fixed ASAP I humored them.  They tried to just to a speed incline/recalibration and claimed that would fix the issue with it refusing to accelerate past 9mph once it had been running 3+ miles with a person on it, but speeding up once you got off...and drawing enough amps to blow a surge suppressor, and progressively slowing down in steps if you pushed it past 3 miles.

After being firm I was directed to disassemble it and I'm 80% sure the increased noise was coming from the main motor bearing.  They are sending me a new motor ($523 retail) for free to install.  It will be interesting what happens if this doesn't fix it, as it is them who declined to send out a qualified tech to do the diagnosis.  The other 20% shot is that it is the front roller (15%) or the main board (5%).

In other news, C-R helped me perform a redneck autopsy on the cracked deck.  IT'S FREAKIN' CARDBOARD!!!  Seriously, both NordicTrack and Sole use a hard-pressed cardboard to form the deck, covering it with a thin, shiny coating.  Unbelievable.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I laughed.

he shot video....

Feeling the growl again

Got new motor.  Spent 90min over lunch I didn't have installing it so my wife could get her run in.  Made an unholy noise when I turned it on.  Turns out part of the plastic cooling fan broke sometime in shipping or before shipping and ended up INSIDE the motor...it's junk.  So now anther is on the way and the machine is down until then.

Really, they should PAY me to torture test these things.