3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Feeling the growl again

I ran up a mountain in Maui.  I ran up, then up some more, than up some more.  Turned around and taught my quads a lesson.  It was single track.  Now I am back home in Illinois.  Sigh.

For a minute I got excited and thought you ran up Haleakela and back down.  That would have been epic.  Then I checked your log.  Does not appear it was QUIT so epic.  Wink 

Nonetheless, I am VERY envious.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

For a minute I got excited and thought you ran up Haleakela and back down.  That would have been epic.  Then I checked your log.  Does not appear it was QUIT so epic.  Wink 

Nonetheless, I am VERY envious.

Not Haleakela.  Haleakela is way more than 4 miles (close to a marathon just up depending on where you start).  Trust me, I thought about it.  If this was not an anniversary trip with my wife, maybe.  Later I found out the trail I ran goes up and down a ridge on the northwest side of the island, probably 10+ miles in one direction.  I wished I could have kept going, but you don't go to Maui to just run....

Maui was very cool though, we went through many areas that command respect for nature.  It's hard to describe but it feels like you are on sacred ground.  It makes running not about you, but about you becoming part of something bigger than you.

Feeling the growl again

Not Haleakela.  Haleakela is way more than 4 miles (close to a marathon just up depending on where you start).  Trust me, I thought about it.  If this was not an anniversary trip with my wife, maybe.  Later I found out the trail I ran goes up and down a ridge on the northwest side of the island, probably 10+ miles in one direction.  I wished I could have kept going, but you don't go to Maui to just run....

Maui was very cool though, we went through many areas that command respect for nature.  It's hard to describe but it feels like you are on sacred ground.  It makes running not about you, but about you becoming part of something bigger than you.

We did not spend enough time exploring the island when we were there; focused on water activities.  But I hope we get to go back as it was as beautiful to us as you experienced.

I was going to post a link to the Run to the Sun race, 36 miles up Haleakela.  However it looks like bureaucrats killed the official race several years ago.  Angry  However, this looks truly Hurtlocker-worthy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Well, since I have no idea the next time I will get over there will be (was just in Dublin a couple weeks ago though), I'm not waiting.  My wonderful wife asked if I needed anything from the store and I said no, and she comes home with a bottle of The Glenlivet.  Sipping now.

You need to find a goal before we all here get creative for you....  Smile

If you can commit to a hypothesis and pursue it through months of invisible biochemical reactions in clear tubes before realizing achievement after the data is analyzed, I think you can figure out something in running that you can hypothesize as achievable, then blindly focus on training for a few months before seeing the results.  It's really not that different. 

Except for the whole part about hurting worse.  Then of course I found the mental torture of research much worse than that of running.

I'm about to have some Penderyn...Welsh but surprisingly good.

Yup, Hurtlocker creativity would be pretty damn helpful, as would Hurtlocker kicks up the arse.

Agreed, the mental torture of research sucks the fun out of most of it...mental torture of running, well, I guess I need to try and experience more of it.  Research has however taught me that pipetting clear stuff can be inconsistent, despite your best intentions, and it often leads to frustration, disappointment, and the realisation that your ideas and hypotheses need adapting and improving...or indeed throwing in the bin and starting again.  You need to know when to quit and you need to know when to take risks and explore new avenues in terms of mental and physical approach.  Yeah, I guess that is quite like running. 

The big however is, that I am, by nature, a wuss, and a lazy wuss at that.  I fear failure, despite the fact I fail continuously.  Setting goals in running, or admitting that I want something, that invites failure.  Equally I know that avoiding goals is also a failure, just one that is more hidden and personal.  In running I can set mileage goals because they are chicken goals...I can run the  miles how I want, I just need to get out the door...it's committing, but not truly committing.  If you don't try, you can pretend you wouldn't fail.

So yeah.  Goals.  Things I want to do are to run longer.  I have stupid ideas about a 50 miler.  However, I also want to run a marathon.  However I also haven't raced, at all, since 2009, and then it was my only 3 races ever.  Also, speed is something I don't work and that I need to work.  So, maybe my first goal is to get myself to some 5k events (probably park run) and following on from that to try and PB...which is 23:49...and on from that to try and go <22:00 (which is probably going to take some work, despite it sounding very slow, given that mile time was 6:56 or something like that).  However I do want to try and keep up miles, longer runs at the weekends, and have the idea of at least completing a "real" marathon in 2013.  This of course depends on what life throws at me, but, hey.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

One of the crossfit guys was telling us about doing burpees in between mile sprints. So I got inspired and threw in some sets of pullups and dips during my run. That was fun, and got my heart racing during that whole part of the run. It was enjoyable that I'd like to make an effort to do it with some regularity, but I think cold may rule it out for me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

I guess yesterday's "marathon" could be considered a good workout but all it ave me was a case of The Red Ass (it's a southern thing). So today I ran a little over 4 in the morning with thoughts of relaxing tonight. My quads hurt going down stairs that I got pissed some more and just finished a slow 5. Now my legs feel good. I guess that would be a decent workout. Plus mbehr is a couple of miles up and I need to keep him in sight.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

I had a great unplanned tempo yesterday.

Long story so I won't set it all up.

I got fired or I quit, depends on who you talk too, from the Half Marathon Exec Committee here in my home town. I really got sideways with the RD...Anyway I was just over three miles into what was to be an easy 11 miles when I saw him and a buddy get out of his SUV.  From past experience I know it bugs him when he gets passed on a run...he isn't particularly fast. I believe he has a complex which resulted in my "quitting".

I had just under 1/2 mile to the turn around, I dropped the hammer, hit the turn around and caught them in just a hair over a mile from where they began. Acknowledge the two of them on my way by and maintained that pace the rest of my run.

Nice unplanned Tempo.

I guess yesterday's "marathon" could be considered a good workout but all it ave me was a case of The Red Ass (it's a southern thing). So today I ran a little over 4 in the morning with thoughts of relaxing tonight. My quads hurt going down stairs that I got pissed some more and just finished a slow 5. Now my legs feel good. I guess that would be a decent workout. Plus mbehr is a couple of miles up and I need to keep him in sight.

Even after getting chewed up and spit out, your not letting up, are you?  The only thing that may help you this month is that I'm not giving up the weight sessions for extra miles.

Fantastic progressive run last night.  Did a 3.5 mile warm up with my dog, then headed out and did an HR/effort based tempo.  My watch is set not to show pace, just HR and distance. Was pleasantly surprised when I uploaded.

7:14

7:03

6:40

6:17

5:59

Then a 3 and change mile cool down.  All the target HRs were on the money, too.  About ~30 seconds a mile faster than a couple weeks ago.  My half marathon goals for next year are starting to seem less insane and I am slowly feeling less like a newbie.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Wow, spaniel and Hoppity, that brought back unwanted memories of grad school!

It wasn't a "workout", but I had an awesome 10-miler last night.  Set out to do maybe 8 and just felt great.  Not sure where that one came from, but I wish I could bottle it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

xhristopher

It wasn't a "workout", but I had an awesome 10-miler last night.  Set out to do maybe 8 and just felt great.  Not sure where that one came from, but I wish I could bottle it.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I love these runs.

Wow, spaniel and Hoppity, that brought back unwanted memories of grad school!

Glad to be of service.  If you fancy revisiting it in a physical sense then feel free to come to Oxford and hang out with me...

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

I did a set of Hansons 12x400 speedwork intervals last night and man was it fun. Ran the speed intervals 10k pace and the 400 recoveries nice and easy. Feeling suprisingly good today for running so hard on the dreadmill.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Glad to be of service.  If you fancy revisiting it in a physical sense then feel free to come to Oxford and hang out with me...

I currently get fairly well exposed to the science now without having to so much as see a pipet.  I'll take a pass.  Big grin

If I come to Oxford there will be strong alcohol involved, and it won't be for precipitating DNA.

Feeling the growl again

My body had forgotten what real hill work felt like.

Holy Shit.