3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

Feeling the growl again

I've been trying for a while now to break myself of the habit of even looking at the comments section when I read an article online, but I still do it. Guess I am a completely idiot.

Only an idiot if you comment Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

heh.. Feels like they could be having this conversation today.

btw.. 2015 (and going forward) the 1500 mens / womens is going to be insane. Making World Champs / Olympics is going to be an impressive achievement.

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

Just a dude.

heh.. Feels like they could be having this conversation today.

btw.. 2015 (and going forward) the 1500 mens / womens is going to be insane. Making World Champs / Olympics is going to be an impressive achievement.

I think in most any distance event it will be tough to get in. The women's 5k/10k is a little weak. Maybe men's and women's steeple is slightly open after the first one or two. But in most events I would think any US runner could make the finals of the world champs/olympics. Besides the women's 5k/10k, we can expect at least one in the final. The US has really come around on distance runners.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

We have certainly benefitted by how weak the 5K/10K have become with the young Africans going straight to the marathon.  That said, one only needs to look straight to the times of our guys in those events to see that we have really, really stepped it up as well.  It was not that long ago it was exciting we had 3 guys under 13:20 5K.  Now that won't do anything for you on the national stage.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Just a dude.

Has the 5k/10k actually gotten weaker, or have a couple outliers moved past their prime?

Yes, Bekele was unbeatable it seemed, and he ran really fast. But was the field really that deep? Would Galen Rupp or Mo Farah be right there, or would they be second class athletes?

I don't really know. I spent too much time drinking big gulps and didn't pay much attention for about 15 years there... Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Has the 5k/10k actually gotten weaker, or have a couple outliers moved past their prime?

Yes, Bekele was unbeatable it seemed, and he ran really fast. But was the field really that deep? Would Galen Rupp or Mo Farah be right there, or would they be second class athletes?

I don't really know. I spent too much time drinking big gulps and didn't pay much attention for about 15 years there... Wink

-Kelly

If you look at times since the Geb/Bekele era, they have indeed gotten significantly slower at those distances.  WRs that used to be approached with decent regularity are now completely out of reach.  It's easy to look up the yearly leading times....but from memory I can say the depth has also decreased.  A decade ago Rupp and Farah would have been fighting for 3rd-5th in races vs 1st-2nd.  Not exactly second-class athletes but competition has gone down a notch.  Sub-27s are not the regular news they used to be.

Feeling the growl again

2:02:57 marathon for Kimetto in Berlin.  FFS.  Mutai was second, also under the old record, 2:03:13.

Almost half a minute off the old record.

Damn.  Clicking off sub-3 K's at the end.

kcam

Wow!  Just saw that record time on ABC News.  Last night I tried to stay up and watch the race but it was just too late for me (start at 11:45 PM PST).  No AR for Shalane but she did reset her PR to 2:21:14 for third place.  I'm sure she'll take that.

Sort of love the Headline: NC Man Runs TC Marathon for First Time, Wins It

He just woke up that morning and decided to run. Really.. an amazing story. I mean, can you imagine winning a marathon your first time out??

kcam

LOL, that headline does make it seem like that!  Tight finish on the women's race with the winner taking it by a 'nose' (0.08 seconds).  Must have been exciting to watch those two ladies come in like that.

Sorry I couldn't find the video.. but I found this:

bathroom break at mile 20 cost Erb about 30 seconds.

kcam

Uhhh, errr, oops - not 0.08 seconds difference!  8 seconds between 1st and 2nd.  Can't trust an article with a headline like that ...

" Her nearest competitor, Heather Lieberg, was just .08 seconds behind."

Interesting: Nobody knows what running looks like... Atlantic article

"Just because you spend a lot of time doing something doesn’t mean you know a lot about it"

Elite at NYC....

Annie Bersagel is the fastest Norwegian-speaking American marathoner. Or, the only full-time lawyer under 2:30. Or, the most operatic singer/runner currently living in Oslo. Or all those things.

Do you do a lot of training on the treadmill?

Quite a bit. Almost all my running in Colorado was on a treadmill.