3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

November 2014 Racing Thread (Read 36 times)

Just a dude.

Kelly Dodge - 11/27 - 8kish - Turkey Trot - Carson City, NV. - Win

I don't know how to approach this race. My training has been spotty. I've gained weight. I haven't done anything up tempo for over a month.

The course is short. At least the way they did the course map. It's really like 7.8k. Maybe 7.7 if I get good at the tangents.

It will be cold. Probably 30-35 degrees at race time. Should at least be dry.

No idea who will show up.

I think I need to race though. I could win this by 5 minutes, or have someone show up and kick my butt. Who knows.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Norm, sorry I missed seeing you at the monkey had to get back home ASAP as I was driving back alone, and could not risk driving too late at night after running the marathon.

It was brave of Richard to attempt the monkey as his first marathon (It was my first too, but I had a bit better training and knew I'd finish).

Anyway that was stupid race, should have taken a DNF as my leg was bothering me from the start, and by mile 13 was running on one leg. walking was more painful than running because of the nerve issue I have and walking stretches the nerve more than running. Was just a grind to the finish line. 10 minutes slower than my prior two attempts (4:41:13)

Sorry to hear your leg didn't cooperate. It was good meeting and sharing some beers at packet pickup. Hopefully next year we'll both be a little better prepared.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Just a dude.

Kelly Dodge - 11/27 - 8kish - Turkey Trot - Carson City, NV. - Win

I don't know how to approach this race. My training has been spotty. I've gained weight. I haven't done anything up tempo for over a month.

The course is short. At least the way they did the course map. It's really like 7.8k. Maybe 7.7 if I get good at the tangents.

It will be cold. Probably 30-35 degrees at race time. Should at least be dry.

No idea who will show up.

I think I need to race though. I could win this by 5 minutes, or have someone show up and kick my butt. Who knows.

-Kelly

Well, probably won't win this race. Apparently this guy: http://dapower.wordpress.com/ is coming all the way from Ireland to kick everyones butt.

Weird.

I'll probably still win my division though... /shrug

-Kelly

Guess he's really into Thanksgiving.

Just run your race and the Turkey Gods will smile.

Well, probably won't win this race. Apparently this guy: http://dapower.wordpress.com/ is coming all the way from Ireland to kick everyones butt.

Weird.

I'll probably still win my division though... /shrug

-Kelly

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

17:50 for 6th. Cold hilly and icy course. Missed out on pie by 4 seconds. Happy thanksgiving all

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Well done Kevin, and happy thanks giving to all.

I'm going to have a little run out this weekend to see where I am as I haven't run a 5k flat out since spring.

Roth Runner - 11/29 - 5k - Dulwich Parkrun - London, UK - See where I am.

Hopefully still in the 16's but we will see.

C-R

That's good Kevin.

I guess your ankle is better Roth. Race well this weekend.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

Finished 2nd OA, 1st AG. 30:42 for the time. Course was probably about 7.9k, maybe 7.8k...

After the first 1/4 mile I ran the whole way pretty alone. Guy in front finished over 3 mins ahead. Guy behind was 32 something. Struggled to really push hard.

Good tempo run I guess... /shrug

-Kelly

kcam

Hmm.  My Turkey Trot 10K was not great.  Perfect day to race ~50deg, sunny with no wind.  I ran the first mile too fast (5:56) then slowly faded to a 39:28.  Still had fun.  I screwed up at the end of the race ... I was cruising along looking for a place to start my finishing kick and for some reason thought I had about 400 meters to go (around a bend in the road) to the finish.  When I got to the bend I was going to kick like crazy to knock off a few seconds.  I swear I don't know what happened but I notice the finish line banner like 10 strides away!  WTH?!  And it wasn't some 'excuse-me' banner - it was a big thing.  How the heck I didn't see it well before that I'll never know.  So anyway that probably cost me 10-15 seconds.  Really weird finish for me.

Next up for me is the Cal International Marathon on Dec 7th.  I was hoping for a significantly better time from this 10K to point me to some good racing at CIM but now I'm thinking I'll be lucky as hell to break 3 hours.  Gurus predict 3:03 average off that 10K time.

Good luck Robin and well done Ntown Kevin and KellyDodge!

Well done Kevin, and happy thanks giving to all.

I'm going to have a little run out this weekend to see where I am as I haven't run a 5k flat out since spring.

Roth Runner - 11/29 - 5k - Dulwich Parkrun - London, UK - See where I am.

Hopefully still in the 16's but we will see.

DNS - Life got in the way of this one.   Maybe this Saturday coming instead.