3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Your opinion please.... (Read 312 times)

Yea I like Nathaniel with the nickname Nate better.  Gabriel\Gabe always sounds a little feminine to me.

Feeling the growl again

"Na-than-i-el" has 4 syllables.  That's a lot.  It'll be shortened (either by you, your wife, your extended family, or whomever.)

If you don't like "Nathan", then that may be a problem.

We'd shorten it to Nate.  Oldest is named Isabella Josephine so we'll already be hated when they get to filling in those bubbles for names on standardized tests Wink  I had absolutely no say in that one but I knew that from like the second date with my wife.  About the time I told her this crazy running thing was not going to go away.

A lot of complex/flowery-sounding names in my family....Catalina, Isabella, Sophia....we actually did not want something too short and simple.  For example Sarah was knocked off the girls' list because it would sound a bit odd next to here sisters' names.

Miles was actually my wife's idea.  If we have a son she wanted some part of me reflected in the name.  I agreed with my Dad's philosophy, that kids deserve to be their own person and don't need the added baggage of trying to separate from a common name with their father.  So I agreed to Miles not because of the direct (and somewhat corny) running connection, but because I felt it represented a lot of positive aspects of my personality that happen to connect to running.

But it will probably be a third girl (who I would adore)....and it will be just me and the dog in a sea of estrogen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Nathanial gets my vote with a short version of Nate.

With the middle name Miles, maybe you might consider "Manuel" or "Manny"

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

C-R

Miles was actually my wife's idea.  If we have a son she wanted some part of me reflected in the name.  I agreed with my Dad's philosophy, that kids deserve to be their own person and don't need the added baggage of trying to separate from a common name with their father.  So I agreed to Miles not because of the direct (and somewhat corny) running connection, but because I felt it represented a lot of positive aspects of my personality that happen to connect to running.

But it will probably be a third girl (who I would adore)....and it will be just me and the dog in a sea of estrogen.

And here I thought it was from a love of jazz great Miles Davis. 

Oh and don't forget never having a warm shower or an open bathroom if its a girl. Complete aside - I volunteered with a guy for some soccer stuff last week who has 9 kids (all girls - last one's were triplets). Yikes

Thankfully you have the lake out back.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nathanial gets my vote with a short version of Nate.

With the middle name Miles, maybe you might consider "Manuel" or "Manny"

Manuel makes me think of Fawlty Towers, and Manny makes me think of Grim Fandango.  Nate makes me think of Six Feet Under.  That's a lot of images for one kid.

Although, to be fair, Miles does make me think of miles and also Miles Davis, but that plays with my mind less.

I like the flowery/complex-sounding girls names.  Both Gabriel and Nathaniel fit well with those, but I still think Nathaniel has the edge.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

Manuel makes me think of Fawlty Towers, and Manny makes me think of Grim Fandango.  Nate makes me think of Six Feet Under.  That's a lot of images for one kid.

Don't worry. By the time he get's old enough those shows will be historical in nature only.

Case in point. My name (Norm) was brought to light thanks to a rather plump, beer loving, bar stoolie on Cheers. If I had a nickel for every "NORM" I heard I would not be wasting time on this board but rather playing golf on my own private island in some warm weather place.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Don't name your kid Miles. Runners name their dogs Miles all the time. They think it's original.

MTA: But on that note, it's likely that if we have a boy in the future part of his name will include "Boston" which was my great uncles name. I thought it was a cool name growing up, even before I knew anything about the Boston Marathon. Ben wants to name a kid Ryan, since it was his mothers maiden name. We could end up with a Ryan Boston Schneider which all running friends would presume to be running geek related.