3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Damn Cecil if it's not one thing it's another! Have you thought about talking to your cardiologist about the increase of PVC's? Sorry to hear about the bad news about the cancer. Good luck and I'll be sending lots of positive vibes your way!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Go get 'em, Cecil. Pretend that cancer is a pace bunny and kick its stupid little ass.

MTA: Matt can't spel.

The rowing machine....good crap that thing is hard. I'm sure my technique is 100% inefficiently wrong, and I'm built like a runner not a rower (and a runner who barely lifts anything). But damn.

Using it as I try to tame the PF that I ignored for way too long. Worse than I've ever had it before.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

The rowing machine....good crap that thing is hard. I'm sure my technique is 100% inefficiently wrong, and I'm built like a runner not a rower (and a runner who barely lifts anything). But damn.

Using it as I try to tame the PF that I ignored for way too long. Worse than I've ever had it before.

Sorry to hear about your PF! Rowing maching is AWESOME! I think it really helped me keep what fitness I had. Good luck and hope to hear that you are back running pain free ASAP!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Walk-Jogger

Bad PF - that was what I had earlier this year starting after my 12k Race in early May wearing unpadded racing flats. I had exactly the same PF after the same race in the same shoes a year earlier, so other than being irritated by it, I didn't think much of it. I stretched the hell out of it and taped it up and kept running on it, and it morphed from PF to a calcaneal stress fracture.The pain moved from the plantar area into the rear heel bone and became more of a burning type pain when stretched. Lesson learned, don't stretch the hell out of bad PF, if doing so makes it hurt like hell,  and don't keep running on it, especially in the same unpadded racing flats. There's probably a few other lessons to be learned here too that I missed. I haven't been able to run on it since June 7th. And it was broken when I raced on it that day.

I'm just now getting back to running due to this, 4 1/2 months later. I ran a total of 5K easy intervals this morning, and ran a slow easy 5K on the track last Saturday. My annual mileage has been stalled at 700 miles since June, so that sucks. New target for the year is 1000 miles, but that is probably a stretch even if I wasn't starting radiation treatments in (probably, depending on insurance approval still pending, god dammint) November.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

I'm just now getting back to running due to this, 4 1/2 months later. I ran a total of 5K easy intervals this morning, and ran a slow easy 5K on the track last Saturday. My annual mileage has been stalled at 700 miles since June, so that sucks. New target for the year is 1000 miles, but that is probably a stretch even if I wasn't starting radiation treatments in (probably, depending on insurance approval still pending, god dammint) November.

Glad to hear you are finally back at it.  There are a few regulars/former regulars I occasionally stalk to see how they are doing and I was about to check in on you.  Big grin

On the insurance issue:  FFS.  I just hope they get the ducks lined up so you can get on with treatment.  Best of luck.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

Thanks Spaniel - it's nice to know that I'm being watched, LOL. The insurance company sent their denial notice yesterday of my appeal to their first denial of my request fro SBRT radiation treatments, so now I'm submitting a third and final appeal for this type of treatment, and it apparently will be arbitrated by someone outside of  group health. It's a bunch of crap that this is how the "game" has to be played. If this third appeal is denied, I'll be forced to go with more traditional IMRT radiation treatments which will take 40 days of instead of only 5. I have to either drive 180 miles round trip for each treatment or stay over in a hotel, so 5 days of treatments with a similar outcome sounds a hell of a lot better to me than 40 days of treatments.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Spaniel - it's nice to know that I'm being watched, LOL. The insurance company sent their denial notice yesterday of my appeal to their first denial of my request fro SBRT radiation treatments, so now I'm submitting a third and final appeal for this type of treatment, and it apparently will be arbitrated by someone outside of  group health. It's a bunch of crap that this is how the "game" has to be played. If this third appeal is denied, I'll be forced to go with more traditional IMRT radiation treatments which will take 40 days of instead of only 5. I have to either drive 180 miles round trip for each treatment or stay over in a hotel, so 5 days of treatments with a similar outcome sounds a hell of a lot better to me than 40 days of treatments.

Now I understand better.  I was having a hard time understanding why any insurance would deny traditional radiation.

Yes, a family member of mine living in a rural area went through the radiation treatments.  180 miles round trip to reach a radiation center?  Wow, you must be out there!  My family member had to do a 45 minute one-way drive to and from the radiation center, 5 days a week, for a month and a half.  Fortunately they were self-employed and in a non-busy season so they were able to work life around the treatments.  Otherwise the traditional treatments would have been extremely life-disrupting.

Best of luck with your appeal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Run went fine today.  Then at some point I stood up from my desk and realized my left hip flexor hurt.  As the night goes on it seems worse and worse.

I blame lugging a heavy insulation machine up and down my stairs, along with 40-odd packages of insulation, over the weekend.

Run went fine today.  Then at some point I stood up from my desk and realized my left hip flexor hurt.  As the night goes on it seems worse and worse.

I blame lugging a heavy insulation machine up and down my stairs, along with 40-odd packages of insulation, over the weekend.

I'd blame that too.  Hopefully in a day or so, the aches and pains will go away.

FFS!  My left knee has progressively getting worse. It's not the knee but some tendony things related to the hamstring that extend pass the inside/back part of the knee.  I've iced and am having my own version of therapy with some winter brews since it's blowing snow and damn cold outside.

C-R

Bummer but drinking brews and resting sounds like a solid plan. Heal up soon.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Common peroneal nerve irritation - along with calf muscle strain and possible facia tear.

FFS.

Electric shocks down my calf, crippling knee pain  - - and I haven't run a step in over 4 weeks.

Marathons are stupid. Although it was one of the best runs of my life 

Ready, go.

Common peroneal nerve irritation - along with calf muscle strain and possible facia tear.

FFS.

Electric shocks down my calf, crippling knee pain  - - and I haven't run a step in over 4 weeks.

Marathons are stupid. Although it was one of the best runs of my life 

You win.  That's one hell of a sucker punch.  BUT, you are right, that was one hell of a marathon you put down.

You win.  That's one hell of a sucker punch.  BUT, you are right, that was one hell of a marathon you put down.

Go big or go home, right?  Just didn't think I would be at home for so damn long.

Ready, go.