3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

This low 30mpw thing is going to kill me. Easy pace is now in the 630-640 range. Workouts are two 4-5 mile continuous tempo runs per week all in the sub-550 range.

Before I was at 50-60mpw, easy pace at 740 and tempos around high 550s to 6-flat.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

This low 30mpw thing is going to kill me. Easy pace is now in the 630-640 range. Workouts are two 4-5 mile continuous tempo runs per week all in the sub-550 range.

Before I was at 50-60mpw, easy pace at 740 and tempos around high 550s to 6-flat.

It doesn't seem like it's hurting you, yet.  Those are decent paces you have going on there.

Feeling the growl again

Different things work for different people.  Experiment of 1 and all.

It is also totally normal to be doing higher mileage, be carrying a constant fatigue level that prevents you from hitting faster paces in both workouts and races, then pop when you drop the mileage and the fatigue.  In that case it's not that low mileage is better for you in the long run, only that it is better when you are trying to go faster on the day.  Eventually the improvement will stop until you go back to a higher mileage cycle and push your body again.

I'm just blabbing and not telling you anything you don't already know though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

Making a cameo - still haven't been running much, but a little. Slow going. Strangely for me, I've somehow managed to get in reasonable upper body shape. Anyhow, I'm gonna go hurt myself next week.

I'm headed to Mt Moriah Wilderness in NV for several days. It's just about the darkest place on the continent due to a combination of elevation, aridness, and remoteness. I'll be there for the new moon and during three simultaneous meteor showers. Depending some on the route I take up, I'll be carrying a pack up 5-7000 ft of elevation gain over the course of 6-8 miles. Below the peak, there is a plateau at around 11k ft called The Table. We'll stay just below that so that we're not so exposed. The Table is the other real attraction though - it's a trailless rocky swath populated only by the oldest species of non-clonal organisms on earth - bristlecone pines. All these things together should make it a pretty surreal experience in unique conditions. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Making a cameo - still haven't been running much, but a little. Slow going. Strangely for me, I've somehow managed to get in reasonable upper body shape. Anyhow, I'm gonna go hurt myself next week.

I'm headed to Mt Moriah Wilderness in NV for several days. It's just about the darkest place on the continent due to a combination of elevation, aridness, and remoteness. I'll be there for the new moon and during three simultaneous meteor showers. Depending some on the route I take up, I'll be carrying a pack up 5-7000 ft of elevation gain over the course of 6-8 miles. Below the peak, there is a plateau at around 11k ft called The Table. We'll stay just below that so that we're not so exposed. The Table is the other real attraction though - it's a trailless rocky swath populated only by the oldest species of non-clonal organisms on earth - bristlecone pines. All these things together should make it a pretty surreal experience in unique conditions. 

Awesome.  I'll be in Vegas.  Stumble in from the outback and I'll buy you a beer.  Otherwise, FFS, now that you have the family out of Deliverance bring them over and I'll buy you a beer in Indy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

This week:

- Ran all 7 days.  Havent done that since January.

- Ran 70 miles.  Haven't hit 40 since January.

- Included runs of 13 and 15 miles.  Haven't run over 12 since January.

It was not pretty and it was not fast.  Althought I actually felt like a runner again in the latter half of the 15-miler and it was among the faster paced runs.

I'm feeling it; I skipped an extra 6-miler tonight.  Now to not be a one-trick pony....

This week:

- Ran all 7 days.  Havent done that since January.

- Ran 70 miles.  Haven't hit 40 since January.

- Included runs of 13 and 15 miles.  Haven't run over 12 since January.

It was not pretty and it was not fast.  Althought I actually felt like a runner again in the latter half of the 15-miler and it was among the faster paced runs.

I'm feeling it; I skipped an extra 6-miler tonight.  Now to not be a one-trick pony....

Great news. Glad to have you back!

Yup - good to see a 7 day week spaniel - keep it up!

C-R

Good to see spaniel.

Now do it some more.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

Popping in for the first time in months...

It's now been a few years since I entered a race, and another year since I finished one. Anyhow, I'm doing Yamacraw on April 9th and still haven't really figured out training. At this point, I'm just aiming for general fitness and going slowly. Welp, it should hurt.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Me too!

I'm doing Yamacraw on April 9th

Your travel plans?

I'm going to hurt myself.......

because I signed up and was accepted for the Chicago Marathon.  The last two attempts at Chicago were dismal. 3rd time is the charm. Training started last week.  Go big or go home I say. That's all.

Feeling the growl again

I'm going to hurt myself.......

because I signed up and was accepted for the Chicago Marathon.  The last two attempts at Chicago were dismal. 3rd time is the charm. Training started last week.  Go big or go home I say. That's all.

Hate the crowds, love the speedy course.

Hate the crowds, love the speedy course.

That's where benefits of entry in the A-corral come in handy. The last time I ran Chicago, it took me 15 sec to reach the start line.  That's better than at Boston.  I just hope it isn't too warm.

Feeling the growl again

That's where benefits of entry in the A-corral come in handy. The last time I ran Chicago, it took me 15 sec to reach the start line.  That's better than at Boston.  I just hope it isn't too warm.

When I ran my 2:29 there I started with the 4+ hour crowd and it only took me 37 seconds to get to the line.  Some people were not happy with me.  Smile