3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Interesting race calendar thread (Read 542 times)

Feeling the growl again

Thought we could use a thread to share interesting races we know about.  No run-of-the-mille 5Ks, 10Ks or 5K marathons here.

Three 5Ks in 3 hours.  7/16 Shelbyville, IN.   I'd really like to do this one and be in shape to try for sub-16, sub-16:30, and sub-16:40.

Spaniel Farms Beer Mile.  7/16 Lizton, IN.  It would be a trick to run 3 5Ks in the morning and still do the beer mile in the afternoon.

Warrior Dash.  8/13 Crawfordsville, IN.  The description on the site speaks for itself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Warrior Dash.  8/13 Crawfordsville, IN.  The description on the site speaks for itself.

Actually doing this one in Joliet, IL on June 18. Should be fun.

A neighbor always did the crim festival of races every year.  8/27 Flint, MI.  Sounded fun as they have a 10-mi, 8k, 5k and 1-mi.

Ostrich runner

It might not be so bizarre around here, but I'm planning on the Howl at the Moon 8hr in August near Danville, IL.

Also planning on camping out and drinking as many bottles as I complete miles. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Actually doing this one in Joliet, IL on June 18. Should be fun.

A neighbor always did the crim festival of races every year.  8/27 Flint, MI.  Sounded fun as they have a 10-mi, 8k, 5k and 1-mi.

Ugh.  I ran the Crim for years and each time said it would be the last.  Seems like it is oppressively hot and humid almost every year.  I don't recall exactly but i don't think it would be easy to do a multiple there with the timing.  The 10-miler is hella competitive though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Don't remember which races my neighbor did but he always doubled up.  Looking at the race schedule, it's doable.

Feeling the growl again

Don't remember which races my neighbor did but he always doubled up.  Looking at the race schedule, it's doable.

I THINK you could do the 8K/10mile double....given the competitiveness of the 10mile the people I knew were all focused on that alone.

C-R

3 5ks. I might be up to do that if I can get in some condition. 

It better not screw up my shot at a beer mile PR.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

3 5ks. I might be up to do that if I can get in some condition. 

It better not screw up my shot at a beer mile PR.

The presence of a loaded kegerator prior to the race is more likely to mess up your beer mile PR.  Now we need to decide what to fill it with.

C-R

Oh yeah. I have ideas. I have ideas.

This doesn't fit that whole getting in shape-no beer thing in the other thread though.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Oh yeah. I have ideas. I have ideas.

This doesn't fit that whole getting in shape-no beer thing in the other thread though.

That is why I am trying to starve the weight off quickly so it is no longer an issue.

No beer does not mean no hard liquor....I figure there's fewer calories in a small martini than a couple beers.

Just did the Warrior Dash in Channahon (Joliet) this morning. It was listed as 3.2 mi but not sure. No mile markers, lots of turns, hills, streams, mud and of course obstacles. Legs were more tired from yesterday than I thought they would be. Had they been fresh I probably would have left with the 1OA spot. I was sitting 2OA when I left. They still have a full day of waves to go through (550 every 20 minutes up to about 5 or 6 pm tonight. I can't see it going much better for those later in the day. The up hills were quite slippery when we went through and it's only going to get more crowded/congested on the obstacles and through the course. Wore one of the oldest pairs of shoes that I had and had basically no traction.

We started catching the wave ahead of at the second obstacle and then had to weave in/out from there. Right before the last three we had to run down a decent size hill and then along a creek for a bit before we went back up a decent size hill. I got hung up in a crowd people trying to get under a log and then got stuck behind a few walking up the final hill so I lost the 1st place guy there.  Finished off with the climb over the cargo net, a couple of jumps over a row of fire and then jumped in and crawled through the final 20-30 ft mud pit.  I'm sure the finishing picture will look good as I splashed water/mud all over the left side of my face and I couldn't see a damn thing. Good times though. Beers and a huge turkey leg afterwards. I would definitely do this again next year. We had a decent group of about 15 in the 9 am wave which made it more fun.

Sounds like fun. If you like that kind of stuff, you may consider the Muddy Marathon in N.J.

Did you end up 2OA?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Sounds like fun. If you like that kind of stuff, you may consider the Muddy Marathon in N.J.

Did you end up 2OA?

It was quite different from anything else I've done before.  Ended up 5 OA and 1st in my age group (assuming the Top 3 don't count in age group).  I didn't stick around all day for the awards so I missed out on my warrior helmet trophy.  We had a good group (15+) that went down and did it.  We're all looking forward to it again next year.  Next time, I won't put in 15 the day before.  My legs were feeling it and the course was a little more taxing than I thought it would be.  Brings back the joy of the good ol XC days!