3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

You might be onto something... (Read 525 times)

Well, then I would have to carry them and water.  Since I am running for 60-90min and not an ultra I think it's fine.  If I were running for 2 hours or more I think your way would be better.

Well, my first time using them was yesterday. I tried it your way, taking five (overkill maybe) beforehand, knowing I'd be going for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  

I was able to do the last 1 1/2 miles at 7:40 pace without too much difficulty.  Last time I did a workout like that, 6/17 it was 11miles +1 MP and I was dying on that last mile. 

There could be other factors, but I do think these things are helpful. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Experimentation continues.  It does seem to help some when they are taken consistently.

Tuesday, for the first time in close to a decade, I broke down and carried a 16oz bottle of water on the run with me too, it was in the upper 80s, just the type of run I've had to cut short lately.  I took a big swig every 1/2 mile starting 1 mile in, it lasted until 7.5 miles into a 10 mile run -- about perfect.  I don't like running with ANYTHING -- I abhor racing with sunglasses even -- so this took some fun out of it but helped me get in the distance with less drama.  Once the water was gone I started running about 10-15sec/mile faster from not having that imbalance me anymore.

Here's the strange thing.  I have noticed that if I am not running, or if I run on some of the rare cool times like mornings, my weight stays about the same.  If I run a few hot days in a row, even if I hydrate religiously to the point that the pee test says I'm good to go, I level off 4lbs lighter.  I am not sure how to interpret this.  Perhaps I sweat out a lot of salt so I retain a lot less water??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I was thinking abut this. Based on my experience, the answer is yes. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Seanv2

Well, today felt like shit. 

This sums up my run yesterday. Maybe I need to give S Caps a try. Temps have been in the high 80s and low 90s for my runs lately and I feel like I just can't get going.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

This sums up my run yesterday. Maybe I need to give S Caps a try. Temps have been in the high 80s and low 90s for my runs lately and I feel like I just can't get going.

Fuck.

It was high-80s and humid yesterday so I hit the treadmill.  While my house is set to 73 the upstairs gets hotter, probably high 70s?  I have the useless little fans on the treadmill, a ceiling fan on high right over it, and a box fan on a chair to my right.  I decided to do a workout....5:30 miles with a mile easy at 6:58 in between.  After the second fast interval I had to bag it, I was overheating badly and getting stomach cramps.

I think I will just try to log easy miles unless weather permits.  I do not like cutting a run off at 6 miles trying to do a workout when I could have hit 10 going easy.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Here's the strange thing.  I have noticed that if I am not running, or if I run on some of the rare cool times like mornings, my weight stays about the same.  If I run a few hot days in a row, even if I hydrate religiously to the point that the pee test says I'm good to go, I level off 4lbs lighter.  I am not sure how to interpret this.  Perhaps I sweat out a lot of salt so I retain a lot less water??

I would say I see much of the same and come to the same conclusion about salt and water retention.  I weighed myself on Monday when we got back from our WI vacation -155.  I weighed myself this morning - 147.  I've been rehydrating a ton but WTF, an 8 pound swing over 5 days?

Last year I carried a hand held during the summer months.  It seemed to help me in getting through the longer, easier efforts.  During Chicago last year, people were actually handing out water bottles (some were taking off the caps and throwing them away for some stupid reason.  Like I want to try and run with an open top water bottle!).  I basically carried the bottle and drank quite frequently throughout until I bombed out.

Gotta love running in the heat!  I don't know how those do it in the southern states.