3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Dead Leg (Read 1021 times)

Well I guess it COULD be piriformis....since i've had a hamstring issue going on for a while too i've been getting random sharp pains in my butt/hamstring area when sitting for a long time. This happened on the flight over and caused me not to be able to sleep much at all that night.

So maybe it is that, and the swelling is just from flying?

But it sounds like yours goes numb when youre running...? Mine feels fine running. It actually feels fine doing anything...its just it has a loss of sensation when touched.

Prince of Fatness

Well I guess it COULD be piriformis....since i've had a hamstring issue going on for a while too i've been getting random sharp pains in my butt/hamstring area when sitting for a long time.

Like I said, this is right in line with my experience.  I was by myself on the car ride, there was traffic so I could not use cruise control for long stretches.  I could not adjust my position for hours at a time.  My ass didn't like it.  Very sore.  My numbness after running started after the car rides.  I don't doubt that you have some of this going on.

It's the swelling and continued lack of feeling to the touch that I never experience that makes me think that there is something else going on too.  I really hate to speculate when it comes to circulatory issues.  Get it checked out by a doc.

Not at it at all. 

Swelling from flying should NOT still be going on! I'd get it checked and I bet if you asked Trent he'd say the same thing!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

The numbness and pain issues really sound like piriformis.  The sciatic nerve carries signals from the leg so it all adds up.

The swelling from flying is another issue.  Edema is a circulatory issue and probably unrelated, unless the swelled area around the nerve is somehow inhibiting blood flow.

You should go see the doctor.  Bloot clots are not something to screw around with, and they can hang around awhile before letting loose and traveling to your heart or lungs.  I'm not trying to scare you but as much as I avoid unnecessary doctor visits and tests, this is something I would go have checked out pretty quickly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The numbness and pain issues really sound like piriformis.  The sciatic nerve carries signals from the leg so it all adds up.

The swelling from flying is another issue.  Edema is a circulatory issue and probably unrelated, unless the swelled area around the nerve is somehow inhibiting blood flow.

You should go see the doctor.  Bloot clots are not something to screw around with, and they can hang around awhile before letting loose and traveling to your heart or lungs.  I'm not trying to scare you but as much as I avoid unnecessary doctor visits and tests, this is something I would go have checked out pretty quickly.

+1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

+2.  I had a calf strain a couple summers ago.  I saw a doc and had it checked out.  I called him when I noticed some swelling at lunchtime the next day.  They had me in an ultrasound exam room that afternoon.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'm useless here, but just chiming to say I hope you get this figured out. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

The King of Beasts

I'm useless here, but just chiming to say I hope you get this figured out. 

That.

and see a Dr., a real one, or talk to Trent.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

That.

and see a Dr., a real one, or talk to Trent.

And that, too (not being a wiseguy).  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent made me go and get an ultrasound to rule the clot out. He and the doctor both think it's maybe sciatic related.So yea...probably piriformis.

I guess I confused you guys...it is not still swollen, and not painful, just numb to the touch. It was only swollen noticeably on the first flight over, and painful because of the swelling...but that went away and it was just numb. The numbness is sometimes better, and sometimes worse (over the course of these 2-3 weeks)

Prince of Fatness

Glad to hear you got checked out.

Try this

And this .....

Not at it at all. 

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Both of those stretches are great. The first one is also called the pigeon stretch or pose. Plenty of youtube videos on how to do it. Both are best done after the muscles are warmed up. I think I've heard the second one called a pretzel stretch, but a google search got me that one plus a half dozen other different stretches. Both of them are used in a couple of power yoga DVDs I have.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.