3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Numb White Toes (Read 781 times)

Has anyone experienced numb white toes white running?  I used to only get this when it was cold, but it's happening indoors on the treadmill now and it's driving me nuts.  I thought my laces were too tight so I started leaving my laces loose.  That seemed to help, but doesn't always.  

Any thoughts?

Feeling the growl again

It certainly sounds circulatory.

Is it sporadic or regular, and does it happen even when you try several different pairs of shoes?  All toes or only certain ones?

Do you ever get something similar in your hands?

I know C-R may be able to enlighten you with some circulatory syndrome name that I cannot remember right now...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

I know C-R may be able to enlighten you with some circulatory syndrome name that I cannot remember right now...

Raynaud's?  (Not that I would ever try to speak for the lovely and charming Mr. C-R.)

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

Raynaud's?  (Not that I would ever try to speak for the lovely and charming Mr. C-R.)

Sounds right.  This says you should try stopping the caffeine.  And the smoking.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

I've not been called lovely or charming in a while. Sounds about right Goodman. I get this in my hands after long runs. I've aksed my FiL the Dr what is to be done and he mentioned wearing thicker gloves. Its not a readily curable syndrome and they don't know the root cause (lots of speculation but no real answer). I don't have this happen with my feet. FIL said it is triggered by extreme condition (extended exposure to cold or physical trauma such as repeated footfalls). I can ask him about dealing with it in the foot area and see what he says. He's wicked smart and gives no BS answers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Kalsarikännit

I was just reading more about it, because I suspect I may have a mild case of it (On a 60 degree day I wear gloves that are better suited to dogsledding across the arctic).  They mentioned getting enough omega-3's can help with delayed onset.  Considering there is a ton of anecdotal evidence that omega-3's help with recovery after hard workouts, I think it is worth exploring as a supplement.

Every time I get on an elliptical (or as a close friend calls it, "the fat girl machine"), my feet go numb.  What does this mean?  Don't bother going on the elliptical.  But this is running and that is different.  How about trying two different lacing techniques to see if that helps?  This is how I lace my shoes.  Snug, but you can make it roomy in the toes.  I have also heard of Lydiard lacing.  Why not give it a try?  I hear the guy knew a thing or two about running.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

Its not a readily curable syndrome and they don't know the root cause (lots of speculation but no real answer). I don't have this happen with my feet.

Primary Raynaud's is "idiopathic", which is doctor-speak for "we don't have an f'ing clue what causes this."

MTA:  Leave it to doctors to make up a fancy word in order to avoid having to tell you they don't know something.  Wink

Hawt and sexy

Rocken may have a word or two about  this. Might be the same thingy tho...

I'm touching your pants.

It certainly sounds circulatory.

Is it sporadic or regular, and does it happen even when you try several different pairs of shoes?  All toes or only certain ones?

Do you ever get something similar in your hands?

Wow!  You guys are awesome!  

I agree.  It definitely looks like Raynaud's (at least the white photos).  

It's somewhat sporadic.  I haven't had it several weeks, but I have been under a LOT of stress this week (sick family, awake all night, impossible work stress; just to name a few) and drank a bit more caffeine than usual today.  I think you and Wikipedia may be on to something.  

I can't say that it ever occurs in my hands, though.

Maybe it's a combination of things (caffeine, laces, shoes, etc.)   I will try some things with my laces.  LOL!  

I have Raynauds. There's not really anything you can do about it aside from making sure you don't go from one temp to another too quickly. Like coming in from a cold run and immediately jumping in a hot shower (that's the WORST for it, or mine anyway).

It sucks Sad And that sounds like what you have too. I have more of a problem with it in my hands while running. But if I don't wear socks walking around the house my toes go completely numb, turn white, and hurt.

During the treadmill runs were you cold before you started running? like in air conditioning? That can do it. I've had it happen on treadmill runs at home where my room was cold before I started running. Going from cold to hot or hot to cold too quickly supposedly causes the symptoms.

I have Raynauds. There's not really anything you can do about it aside from making sure you don't go from one temp to another too quickly. Like coming in from a cold run and immediately jumping in a hot shower (that's the WORST for it, or mine anyway).

It sucks Sad And that sounds like what you have too. I have more of a problem with it in my hands while running. But if I don't wear socks walking around the house my toes go completely numb, turn white, and hurt.

During the treadmill runs were you cold before you started running? like in air conditioning? That can do it. I've had it happen on treadmill runs at home where my room was cold before I started running. Going from cold to hot or hot to cold too quickly supposedly causes the symptoms.

It usually happens when it's cold, but has happened when it wasn't.  I've had it happen on the treadmill on a number of occasions.  It's even more common when I'm running outside in the cold.  Just my feet though.  It seems to be worse if my shoes and/or socks are tight (however not with compression socks.)  

I have wondered if it has anything to do with knots in halves; knots somehow reducing circulation.  I have wondered this before and I have been having trouble with my calves lately.  

Thanks for the help!

Ostrich runner

I can't imagine how you Raynaud's folks thought HUFF was a good idea. I'm absurdly warm blooded, but that's probably aided by being fat.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Every time I get on an elliptical (or as a close friend calls it, "the fat girl machine"), my feet go numb.  What does this mean?  Don't bother going on the elliptical.  But this is running and that is different.  How about trying two different lacing techniques to see if that helps?  This is how I lace my shoes.  Snug, but you can make it roomy in the toes.  I have also heard of Lydiard lacing.  Why not give it a try?  I hear the guy knew a thing or two about running.

I started using an elliptical lately because I'm having a shin problem (possible stress fracture, tendonitis or compartmental syndrom) in which my shin gets tight, swollen and painful after during and after a workout. The shin feels pretty good after an elliptical workout but my toes go numb too after about a half an hour on it.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Same result on the run this evening.  Same foot, same toes.  I tried to run through it, but my foot started to throb so I had to cut the run short.  :-(

Very frustrating.