3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

Feeling the growl again

5/19 -- spaniel -- Rockford Marathon -- 2:32:00 (may change as we get closer)

Heh.  Scratch.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

5/4 - spaniel - Indy Mini Marathon - sub-1:15

Two weeks prior to my marathon...kind of close, we will see how it goes.

Scratch again.  I ran 8 miles and my calves were screaming at me.  Consistency before anything else right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Good luck!

Your post made me think about my own 10K coming up May 27th.  I put down 37:30 and now I'm thinking that time is very much of a longshot. Saying I've got some work to do would be an understatement. Thanks for the reminder.

Sounds reasonable to me from the 10 miler you did.  I'd be surprised if you didn't PR which puts you in the ball park....

I almost feel like we need monthly recovery threads--not good.  Hope you both get your injuries sorted out, spaniel and Ileneforward.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

5/26 mstuartm - Bob Potts Memorial Marathon - York, PA - 3:15:00

My first. Hold me, I'm scared.

Walk-Jogger

5/5 Cecil58  -  Bloomsday 12k  -  Spokane, WA  -  <47:00, A/G top 3/1200, O/A top 220/50k

My tibial stress fracture seems to be healed up, after 4 weeks of mostly walking. I was able to race a flat 10k last Saturday, in 39:35, which is over a minute slower than I should have been capable of. So it's looking  like my time for Bloomsday will realistically be a fight to break 48:00 instead of <47:00. Still hoping for a A/G placing but the chances go down significantly. Top <300 finish, maybe.  I'm just glad I'm able to run it at all, after missing a bunch of smaller local races in April.

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

I'm going to do "Run For the Hill of It" on May 18th in Lewiston, Idaho. Because come on, what's more fun than racing 8 miles up a big hill? I won this one over-all two years ago, because it was sunny and "hot" and the fast guys stayed away.  Hopefully it will be hot again this year and I can try out my brand new sun hat:

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

That's an outstanding 10K time considering you didn't train for four weeks due to a stress fracture.  Seems like you really didn't lose a whole lot.  I also like that Hill race - it sounds like a 'runners' race .... $7.00 entry fee.  Nice.  Go get em.

bhearn

Last minute decision, Tacoma Marathon this weekend, 5/5. Probably pacing 3:25 or 3:45 group. Or 3:15 if I get talked into it. So... yeah, not really a race.

Nice 10K comeback Cecil - straight back banging out fast times - very impressive!

5/4 Roth Runner - Dulwich Parkrun 5k - London - Sub 17:00

I think I'll jump into this last minute as a tester for the 10k on the 6th.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

5/4 - WhoDatRunner - 500 Festival Mini-Marathon (HM) - Indianapolis, IN - <1:50

Based on my Carmel HM failure and lingering aches and pains I'm going to try and be smart less stupid about this and change my goal to 1:55.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Is this the hill on the north side of the river? I've driven up Hwy 95, that must be quite a run.

I'm going to do "Run For the Hill of It" on May 18th in Lewiston, Idaho. Because come on, what's more fun than racing 8 miles up a big hill? I won this one over-all two years ago, because it was sunny and "hot" and the fast guys stayed away.  Hopefully it will be hot again this year and I can try out my brand new sun hat:

I am starting to think you people just want to see if I'm on my toes.

And if someone softens their goal, then hits the original goal, two things will happen:

1.  Respect.

2.  SANDBAGGER next to the results.

This is the Hurtlocker, right?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

I am starting to think you people just want to see if I'm on my toes.

And if someone softens their goal, then hits the original goal, two things will happen:

1.  Respect.

2.  SANDBAGGER next to the results.

This is the Hurtlocker, right?

Speaking of, it looks like you're ready to crush your marathon PR from last year.