3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

I'm hoping so.  My next marathon will be in October or November.  Right now, I'm planning to shoot for <3:05.  If my fitness gains keep rolling, I might revise that down to sub-three.  I'm going to miss it when the one-year-to-two-year newbie fitness jumps quit happening.

Speaking of, it looks like you're ready to crush your marathon PR from last year.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

2.  SANDBAGGER next to the results.

Ouch

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Walk-Jogger

Is this the hill on the north side of the river? I've driven up Hwy 95, that must be quite a run.

Yep, it's the old "spiral"  highway, which doesn't get much traffic anymore and is very scenic.  It's actually less steep than the new highway, which is about a mile shorter to make the same climb. With all the switch-backs, it almost doesn't matter which way the wind is blowing, you'll have headwind one minute and then turn around and have a tailwind the next.

Retired &  Loving It

5/4 - CliveF - Mt. Holly Springfest 5k - Mt. Holly NC - Goal = Insanity!

Honestly, my goal is to run the first mile in 6:00-6:05 and hit the 2mi no worse than 12:10.  Anything after that is gravy.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Walk-Jogger

I am starting to think you people just want to see if I'm on my toes.

And if someone softens their goal, then hits the original goal, two things will happen:

1.  Respect.

2.  SANDBAGGER next to the results.

This is the Hurtlocker, right?

I would love nothing better than to earn that "SANDBAGGER" label at my race on Sunday. Not likely to happen, but I did check on last year's crop of M50-54 (younger age-group) top-25 runners, and not a single one of them rolled over into my age group this year, so I still have a fighting chance at getting a top-3 A/G, and maybe nail 1st place again even with a slower run, if they haven't invited Brian Pilcher and his rival Rick Becker as freakin ringers in my age group again this year. But maybe somebody new and fast will crawl out from under a rock and snatch the win away from me. That's what makes it interesting...

Retired &  Loving It

That's the beauty of it...we all actually want to find out we were sandbagging, much as we don't want to do it on purpose.

It's a good month for racing. I look forward to the little 5K I'm doing.  It's a small club race (~150 people usually), but a solid field.  Couple people under 16:00, and almost 50 people under 20:00.  

Good luck to you and everyone else racing this month.  Glad you snapped back from the injury as quickly as you did.

I would love nothing better than to earn that "SANDBAGGER" label at my race on Sunday. Not likely to happen, but I did check on last year's crop of M50-54 (younger age-group) top-25 runners, and not a single one of them rolled over into my age group this year, so I still have a fighting chance at getting a top-3 A/G, and maybe nail 1st place again even with a slower run, if they haven't invited Brian Pilcher and his rival Rick Becker as freakin ringers in my age group again this year. But maybe somebody new and fast will crawl out from under a rock and snatch the win away from me. That's what makes it interesting...

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

kcam

There's always someone new and fast.  Pilcher runs in the PA USATF series I run in and in the past he's been head n shoulders faster than all of the other 50+'rs.  This year Pilcher got beat at our 10mile championship by a 52 year-old (USATF awards points on 10 year AG's not 5 year).  55:02 vs 56:50 - he's still a very fast old dude.

Walk-Jogger

There's always someone new and fast.  Pilcher runs in the PA USATF series I run in and in the past he's been head n shoulders faster than all of the other 50+'rs.  This year Pilcher got beat at our 10mile championship by a 52 year-old (USATF awards points on 10 year AG's not 5 year).  55:02 vs 56:50 - he's still a very fast old dude.

Pilcher must be what, 56 this year? Guess his old age is starting to catch up with him, if THAT'S the best he can do... Clown

Retired &  Loving It

bhearn

5/5 - bhearn - Tacoma City Marathon - Tacoma, WA - 3:25 (pacing)

So yeah, not really a race.

May be a bit late to make the board, but running a 5k tomorrow, declaring a goal may pressure me enough not to let up when it gets tough, so 22:59 it shall be.

Bhearn is not just fast while running

MTA -Running that Mt Holly Springfest NC.  goal not be insane on the downhill first mile, and then die on the way back up those hills, and 22:59, about 10 seconds off PR  from 3 years ago.

5/4 Roth Runner - Dulwich Parkrun 5k - London - Sub 17:00

I think I'll jump into this last minute as a tester for the 10k on the 6th.

16:50 for 4th this morning.  Happy to get the sub 17 monkey off my back.  Got dragged out a little quick but dug in.

Feeling the growl again

16:50 for 4th this morning.  Happy to get the sub 17 monkey off my back.  Got dragged out a little quick but dug in.

Outstanding!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Well done Roth!

as for me today was a time fail. 1:33:03. No excuses. Weather was perfect. I just didn't have the legs. This leads me to the stark fact that I can't race to my expectations on miles without training and workouts.

Thats what I like about running. No where to hide if your healthy and you didn't train. Either I want it bad enough and train or be happy being slower that I can be. I'm opting for #1.

On a good note I didn't crap myself and I managed to get off the tack before the winners crossed the line.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

5/4 - CliveF - Mt. Holly Springfest 5k - Mt. Holly NC - Goal = Insanity!

Honestly, my goal is to run the first mile in 6:00-6:05 and hit the 2mi no worse than 12:10.  Anything after that is gravy.

DNS (knee).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Based on my Carmel HM failure and lingering aches and pains I'm going to try and be smart less stupid about this and change my goal to 1:55.

Unfortunately no sandbagging for me today.

Indianapolis Min-Marathon 1:54:38

It's a PR and about what I thought I could manage, but still disappointed I couldn't do better.  My butt/leg really started to bother me the last 2-3 miles. I'm looking forward to seeing the PT Tuesday.

Nice job going sub 17 Roth!

Sorry about the knee Clive.

C-R

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.