3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

bhearn

bhearn - Great run right after a marathon, even a non-raced one.  Give us the low-down on the Willow Glen race.  I had that one on my calendar but decided not to run it as I just needed a break from racing every dang weekend.

Nice event. Flat, fast course, except for the stretch of grass just before the finish. Mile markers way wonky, so I had to just go conservatively by Garmin; it said 3.18. Not conservative enough!

2AG but no hardware -- only awards for top two youth, open, and "masters", but "masters" = over 50. Ah well.

I guess lots more people than last year; last year I'd have been 4th OA, 1AG. I don't know my OA placing this year, but I think not top 10. 13/2158 OA. Wow, didn't realize it was that huge.

Actually it's three marathons and one 5M race in the past four weeks. But Tacoma last week was an easy training run; Big Sur was harder, but two weeks ago. Still, Big Sur was two weeks after Boston, and I was not back to 100%, so probably I'm still paying a little for Big Sur a bit now.

No sub 7 for me.  Ended up with 7:19:48.  Went through mile 25 at around 3:31 and already knew the pace felt to hard.  No way I could sustain that level of effort for another 25 miles.  Have to rethink the training plan for next time.

xhristopher

I had a blast racing today. I got that BQ -10 I wanted with about 23 seconds to spare. I know I passed a lot of runners in the last four miles but still figured I placed in the 20s. Totally surprised to crack the top 10 in a (small) marathon. I earned a pint glass for the effort.

I had a blast racing today. I got that BQ -10 I wanted with about 23 seconds to spare. I know I passed a lot of runners in the last four miles but still figured I placed in the 20s. Totally surprised to crack the top 10 in a (small) marathon. I earned a pint glass for the effort.

Congrats! Nice job on the BQ.

5/4 CliveF - TWAM Mission Run 5k - Salisbury NC - sub-19 [really, it's "2mi in sub-12:10, then hang on"]

20:48.  That was unpleasant.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Let's try this again ...

5/17 CliveF - Right Moves For Youth 5k - Charlotte NC - (A) = sub-19 [really, it's "2mi in sub-12:10, then hang on"]

... also known as ...

5/17 CliveF - Right Moves For Youth 5k - Charlotte NC - (B) = don't go all "Altered States" end up in the ER again

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nice running, x!

-- Dick LeBeau

Hilarious.. As long as it hurt really bad.

It takes a few tries to get it right.

20:48.  That was unpleasant.

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

Let's try this again ...

5/17 CliveF - Right Moves For Youth 5k - Charlotte NC - (A) = sub-19 [really, it's "2mi in sub-12:10, then hang on"]

... also known as ...

5/17 CliveF - Right Moves For Youth 5k - Charlotte NC - (B) = don't go all "Altered States" end up in the ER again

Altered States - ER visit = good times!

Congrats on the BQ - 10, x.  Congrats on the top 10, too.

flatfooter, I know it's not what you wanted, but that's still solid execution of a 50.

Clive, don't remind me how unpleasant 5Ks are...

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

xhristopher

No sub 7 for me.  Ended up with 7:19:48.  Went through mile 25 at around 3:31 and already knew the pace felt to hard.  No way I could sustain that level of effort for another 25 miles.  Have to rethink the training plan for next time.

Still it looks like continued progress. I read your report. That's a long time to be inside your head battling. It sure helps put a little marathon in perspective.

Feeling the growl again

5/18 - spaniel - Run for Haiti 5K - Brownsburg, IN - 16:50

Yes, I am that fat and out of shape.

Of course it may end up being a time trial on the track....the race website and contact person throw an error, though I thought I saw some ads posted around town.  If the race is absent when I show up I will run it by myself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

But seriously: good luck!  Run like a boss!

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

But seriously: good luck!  Run like a boss!

Yeah, but after a rust-buster 16:21 (?) in January I'd hoped for so much more out of the year.  I REALLY need to get serious on the weight loss.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

...it's really hard for me to wish you good luck right now.

But, seriously, good luck.  Hope this means the nagging injury is behind you.

Of course it may end up being a time trial on the track....the race website and contact person throw an error, though I thought I saw some ads posted around town.  If the race is absent when I show up I will run it by myself.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek