3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

kcam

But seriously: good luck!  Run like a boss!

LOL!  Spaniel will run 16:50 while being 'that fat and out of shape'.   As we all know, he's a different animal than us Clive!

+1 to Running like a Boss (as they say on LetsRun) but also make sure to not aggravate anything, especially if you end up running on your own on the track.  That can really stress out your hips more than the road.

5/23 - pfetro - Chase Corporate Challenge - 3.5 Mile - Chicago, IL - sub 20

5/18 - spaniel - Run for Haiti 5K - Brownsburg, IN - 16:50

Yes, I am that fat and out of shape.

Of course it may end up being a time trial on the track....the race website and contact person throw an error, though I thought I saw some ads posted around town.  If the race is absent when I show up I will run it by myself.

Come on Huckleberry, that's all you got? Big grin

Seiously though, hope all holds up and this means a new start for the summer training.

Good Luck Spaniel!

Feeling the growl again

Come on Huckleberry, that's all you got? Big grin

Sadly, I believe so.  I've got a lot of rebuilding to do but I would not rest on your laurels.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Total fail on my 5K.  19:52.  I need to race more 5Ks and do more 5K work.

First mile went great.  Second mile had a lot of bobbing and weaving--through a neighborhood, wide street.  Lost a few seconds, but not too bad.

Third mile, the fact that it was 88F really, really got to me.  Legs felt great, just could not push faster.  Felt dizzy, saw stars, whole deal.  Was going slower than my half pace for that damned mile.  Didn't realize it as soon as I should have, as I was passing people so assumed I was holding on.

On to the next one, which is a 50K.  On the plus side, my legs feel like I absolutely did not race yesterday, so I will be fine for Saturday.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

Running a 5K at 88F? Shit, I'd vomit, fall over and catch fire.

I dry heaved at the finish line. Does that count?

Running a 5K at 88F? Shit, I'd vomit, fall over and catch fire.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

kcam

I dry heaved at the finish line. Does that count?

It DOES!  Way to gut that race out!  I once ran a 5K in Tucson Arizona at 6:30PM and it was still 96 deg out.  I was hoping to run 18:36 or better (6min/pace) and ran 19:43.   A few weeks later I ran 18:31 so get yourself a early morning race on a good day and try again.  Props to you guys that train and race in the heat and/or humidity, I am now officially a California wimp when it comes to weather.

Third mile, the fact that it was 88F really, really got to me. 

Last time I ran a 5K at 86 degrees I could feel it after the first half mile.   A few seconds off your PR in that kind of heat is impressive!

Walk-Jogger

88F for a 5K? Man, that's just hardcore. As much as I talk about loving the heat, I've never run an actual race over 1 mile in temps over 80F. Not that I wouldn't do it, I've just never hap the opportunity. I like training on the track in hot weather - up to 800 meters, then stop for a cold drink. Props for passing people in the third mile. You were clearly hanging on better than them, no matter what the pace.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

88F for a 5K? Man, that's just hardcore. As much as I talk about loving the heat, I've never run an actual race over 1 mile in temps over 80F. Not that I wouldn't do it, I've just never hap the opportunity.

Hang around C-R.  He will lure you in with the promise of good beer, then try to kill you with a July 4th race at 90F and 95% humidity.  FFS.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

88F while running a 5k, That's horrible!  88F in the UK and the whole field would be in their budgie smugglers on the start line!!

Looks like another 5k pop for me tomorrow:

5/18 - Roth Runner - Dulwich Parkrun - 5k - London, UK - PR (sub 16:50)

C-R

Hang around C-R.  He will lure you in with the promise of good beer, then try to kill you with a July 4th race at 90F and 95% humidity.  FFS.

Heh. By the way registration is open for that one. I know you're in.

Way to tough it out rg

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Heh. By the way registration is open for that one. I know you're in.

Way to tough it out rg

If there is a kid's race and an open pool, I will probably be forced to do it again anyways.  Perhaps I won't be embarrassed to run shirtless by then.