3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2013 Racing Thread (Read 68 times)

Hang around C-R.  He will lure you in with the promise of good beer, then try to kill you with a July 4th race at 90F and 95% humidity.  FFS.

Nice image of Spaniel following a beer can attached to a piece of string...right up to the starting line.

Feeling the growl again

Nice image of Spaniel following a beer can attached to a piece of string...right up to the starting line.

Attach it to the lead vehicle and that's probably good for 10sec off my 5K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

88F while running a 5k, That's horrible!  88F in the UK and the whole field would be in their budgie smugglers on the start line!!

Looks like another 5k pop for me tomorrow:

5/18 - Roth Runner - Dulwich Parkrun - 5k - London, UK - PR (sub 16:50)

"Budgie Smugglers" ?  I had to look that one up.

Retired &  Loving It

spaniel:

Hang around C-R.  He will lure you in with the promise of good beer, then try to kill you with a July 4th race at 90F and 95% humidity.  FFS.

Wait, isn't C-R going to be at the Carmel Marathon next spring?  Crap.

Roth Runner:

88F while running a 5k, That's horrible!  88F in the UK and the whole field would be in their budgie smugglers on the start line!! 

I had to look this up, too.  Lots of shirtless runners, but I didn't see any budgie smugglers, thankfully.

I did see a couple surprisingly young kids running when I was waiting for my friend to finish and looked at the results.  One finished just before her, one finished just after.

There's a 9 year old girl who ran a 29:30 and a 5 year old who ran a 30:53.

In 88 degree heat.  And their parents were waiting at the finish and also raced, but did not run with them.  Damn.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

In 88 degree heat.  And their parents were waiting at the finish and also raced, but did not run with them.  Damn.

I'm all for letting kids run races designed for kids (like 50 yards for a 2 yr/old or mile for 5 yr/old) but a 5K in that heat at 5 years old?

You mean the 5yo ran the 5K unsupervised? Wow.

C-R

If there is a kid's race and an open pool, I will probably be forced to do it again anyways.  Perhaps I won't be embarrassed to run shirtless by then.

Both will be available (and of course beer).

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Wait, isn't C-R going to be at the Carmel Marathon next spring?  Crap.

Hahahahaha. Welcome to my world.

Oh and a 5yo racing a 5k in 88 degrees is not right.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I have mixed feelings about what's too young to race a 5K, but I have never seen a kid look at happy as that one did when she was crossing the finish line.

And according to Monica (the friend who ran near the 5 year old), every time she approached passing said kid in the first 2.5 miles, she smiled huge and sped up.

That said (disclaimer: as a non-parent), I probably would be running with my kiddo.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                    Emil Zatopek

Walk-Jogger

The story of the children running in the heat reminded me of this. I ran a  (forced) 1 mile cross country type race in 9th grade PE class in Kansas, just after lunch, in what must have been 90+ degree heat and full sun, way back in 1970 ( I would have been 15). I seem to remember that I was wearing jeans for this race, though I don't remember why. It was an extraordinarily awful experience due to the intense Kansas mid-day heat, humidity and sunshine.  That single running experience was forever seared into my mind, and was so miserable due to the sunshine and heat that I decided running was a horrible, horrible thing that was only suitable as punishment for the worst type of crimes. I decided right then that no one in their right mind would ever run on purpose, unless it was to save themselves from a charging bear or buffalo or inner-city gang-bangers. I never ran again, or even wanted to, until the age of 28, when my younger brother, just out of the Marine corps and frequent marathoner, talked me into running a little bit with him.  He got me up to running a half-marathon with him, but never tried to talk me into running a full.  

Tomorrow I'm racing 8 miles up a big hill and I thoroughly enjoy this particular race, especially if the weather is full sunshine and warm (75F) temps. It may be a little cool tomorrow, 55 at the start and 57 with a wind at the top, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to stay warm at the finish line before I run back down the hill. 

Retired &  Loving It

Let's try this again ...

5/17 CliveF - Right Moves For Youth 5k - Charlotte NC - (A) = sub-19 [really, it's "2mi in sub-12:10, then hang on"]

DNS -- an impromptu meeting walked into my office at 5:15 and went until ... what time is it now? ... 6:20.  Race starts at 7PM, it's not nearby, and I'm not yet registered.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Walk-Jogger

I'm going to do "Run For the Hill of It" on May 18th in Lewiston, Idaho. Because come on, what's more fun than racing 8 miles up a big hill? I won this one over-all two years ago, because it was sunny and "hot" and the fast guys stayed away.  Hopefully it will be hot again this year and I can try out my brand new sun hat:

Time goal for this hill climb race tomorrow (Sat) is looking like <1:03:00 for about 7.8 miles, and 1950 feet of elevation gained. I'm not going to win it because Doug is going to be there, and he's not only in my age group, but he's considerably faster than I am. And I think at least one of the fast kids is going to be there (he's 30, so just a whipper-snapper still) and who knows what other speedsters will show up. So, hopefully I'll be in the top 5 O/A, and 2nd in M50-59 or 55-59, however they're splitting it.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

5/18 - spaniel - Run for Haiti 5K - Brownsburg, IN - 16:50

18:23 for that "5K".  Heh.  First place by >2 minutes I think.

It's always a red flag when it is a loop course, they use a single start/finish line, and claim 2-decimal point accuracy.  Then, when the guy who ended up 2nd asked about mile markers, he was told that if he wanted them he could bring his wheel out and "measure the course next year".

Well, I can't be too surprised with a small charity event.

I pushed well through the first of the two loops.  Solidly sub-17 pace, so when it took 9:00 I cut'er back and went through the motions.  It was humid as anything.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

5/18 - WhoDatRunner - Geist HM - Geist, IN - <1:50

DNS

Work interfered. I'm typing this from work now and will probably be here all night.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Walk-Jogger

1:00:39 unofficially for my 7.82 mile hill-climb today. I was 4th place overall, 2nd 50+ age group, and the over-all winner in 57:XX was my running buddy Doug, who at age 57 is 10 months younger than I am, so that's why he's so much faster. Clown I changed into some heavier padded shoes and coasted back down the hill immediately after the race, didn't bother following the tangents in all the  hairpin turns closely, and got 8.0 miles in 54 minutes. This race is just fun all the way around. I don't understand why no one else ran back down the hill with me though!? Gravity does all the work, and I got to high-5 and shout words of encouragement to all the runners still on their way UP the hill.

The weather was probably perfect for everyone, 55 degrees and cloudy. I would have beat more people if it had been hotter, but then again I ran over a full minute faster today than this same race two years ago in the heat, so I can't really complain.

I DO have one complaint... This is a small, hand-timed race. I started my watch exactly at the start, and hit the lap button exactly as I crossed the finish line and I got 1:00:39. The guy who was supposed to be calling out finishing times apparently wasn't paying attention as he neglected to call a time for me as I finished. When the tag taker person asked for a time for my tag, he looked at his watch and called a nice round 1:01, thereby robbing me of :21 seconds of time that I had just just run my ass off up 8 miles of hill to get. My official time will be 1:01, and I probably won't email them to complain. Unless I change my mind. Right now I need more food and a nap because I'm old and I've earned. it. I'd holler for my woman to bring me a beer, but she's in Germany for a month, and if she WAS here she'd throw a shoe at me for that..

Retired &  Loving It