3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Lifting Thread (Read 602 times)

Feeling the growl again

Who is adding some iron pumping or body-lifting-based training to their workout routine?

For Ennay, since I can't join in for a couple weeks yet.  I plan to start lifting again when my wrist is up to it...I will admit my meager bench starting point when I have it...and while I plan to do all-around upper body lifting the bench press is the metric I will track and see how high I can get by the end of the year.  I used to do 225-230 at this weight, I would like to be back to 185-190 by the end of 2012.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Interesting - I used to be a lifter.  I had a 335 bench and could press 75# dumbells overhead (Military press).  I do not want that upper body muscle back - But I do want to maintain some strength as I age.  I will not test my current bench (I Have not really done it in 5-6 years) until after April 21.  But I would guess I might max out at 235 ~ 100 # less.

% body weight is a fair measure.  So if I can press 235 weighing 205 = 1.15x 

If I get my weight down to 185 and can still do 235 = 1.27x

If I get my weight down to 185 and can do 255 = 1.38x

I do not want to put on much bulk ~ So I might punt on this

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

No planned weight activity here.  I'm trying to clear out some room in the basement so that I can hang a pull-up bar.  I've already been pretty good over the last two weeks of hitting the basic core work and push-ups.  I'd like to get going on the pull-ups.  We used to do 30-30-30 (sit-ups/push-ups/pull-ups) M-F, so I'd like to be able to get back to that.

Aside from that, I don't care to make the time to get to the gym for true weight lifting.  The limited time I have, I will dedicate my time to getting faster and fitter.  As the years keep going by, however, this is a challenge itself. 

DoppleBock

To be fair in the "Hard to do" category - I would think 120-60-30 (Situp, pushup, pullup) 

No planned weight activity here.  I'm trying to clear out some room in the basement so that I can hang a pull-up bar.  I've already been pretty good over the last two weeks of hitting the basic core work and push-ups.  I'd like to get going on the pull-ups.  We used to do 30-30-30 (sit-ups/push-ups/pull-ups) M-F, so I'd like to be able to get back to that.

Aside from that, I don't care to make the time to get to the gym for true weight lifting.  The limited time I have, I will dedicate my time to getting faster and fitter.  As the years keep going by, however, this is a challenge itself. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

To be fair in the "Hard to do" category - I would think 120-60-30 (Situp, pushup, pullup) 

Yes that would be a "hard to do" challenge.  Right now I'd say I'm about 50% of that.  Probably a little weaker on the pullups.  I have in the past played around with parts of the 100 pushup challenge.  (http://www.hundredpushups.com/).  Doing pushups with proper form is really quite challenging.

Back, bicepts, shoulders ---> Carrying kid around and hoisting her into the air. 

Chest --high rep, lighter weight dumbbell presses (not regular with this).

"Core" --leg lifts at the gym (not regular with this).

May go back to doing pushups and leg lifts at the office (seems more likely I'll do it). 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

A Saucy Wench

I'll try to pick something to bench mark on next week.  I was doing a straight up lifting sequence for awhile and finding my shoulder issues coming back.  I switched to a circuit that uses a higher variety of angles and reps and makes me remember to do the small muscle shit that is totally without reward. (Woohoo I moved to 8 lbs on anterior delt raises).  But the plan ends next Tuesday so I'll do some benchmarking on thursday and friday.  And then probably do one more round of the circuit plan before going back to a straight lifting

I know my triceps are stronger than at any point in my life.  I couldnt come close to a dip 30 lbs lighter than this.    Pecs too I think but I dont have a record going back. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

I lifted when I was younger, never all that serious with it.  I few years ago I bought some dumbbells and did some exercises with those.  I just don't want to take the time to do it any more.  Since I have cut back on my running I have been real good about doing my core work 3 days a week.  The reason for that is that I keep it short.  I agree with Nads that you should structure it so that it fits into your schedule, making you more inclined to do it regularly.  If I add too much stuff I won't take the time to do it.  However, I could add some pushups into the routine, just for some strength and muscle tone in the upper body.

Not at it at all. 

120 situps sounds like a lot (abs have always been my weak link), the other two I think I can manage with a couple of weeks of training, can do 60 pushups now, maybe 12-15 pullups.

Feeling the growl again

% body weight is a fair measure. 

+1.  When I lifted my target was 225, 1.5X body weight and that was the reason for the goal.  IIRC I hit that easily one Friday night....thought I'd be at 240-250 soon...the next night I went to a party, got drunk, and met my future wife.  Game over for consistent lifting time.

Now I figure with weights in my garage, I should be able to duck in and out of the house doing stuff with the kids for sets.  I'll tell myself I don't have an excuse.

mbehr, that's why I included body-lifting-based training in here.  That's GREAT for runners.  My college coach was huge on that, he wanted us to be strong, not big.  So we did a ton of dips/pullups/pushups etc, sometimes with extra weight attached.

As for goals...I'm at a pathetic starting point..goals for end of 2012:

Bench - current - ?135?    Goal - 185 (the first 20-25lbs come quickly as you re-learn how to lift)  PR - 225-230

Pushups - current -  ?25?  Goal - 60   PR -- ~80-100?

Dips - current - ?10?  Goal - 30   PR -- enough I got bored and never maxed

Pullups - current - ?3?   Goal - 20  PR -- 40+, enough I got bored and never maxed

I am still strong at certain things....I can still shoot a 70lb bow comfortably...but I have not done any of the above stuff consistently in many years.

As soon as I start I will get a baseline readout on these exercises so I can track progress.  I'm not making stellar progress on my running goals so I'm looking forward to progress here as a positive motivator.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Was it all a dream?

I started lifting a bit more consistently this year.  I try to shoot for 2 arm sessions, 2 leg sessions, and 2-3 core workouts each week.  Nothing crazy though.  Probably don't spend more than 20min on any particular session.   For arms: bench, lat pull downs, dips, and rows (3sets 12-15 reps).   For legs: lunges, adductor/hip flexer extensions, hamstring curls, leg press, calf raises (3 sets 12-15 reps).  For core work, the P90X ab routine.

Don't know if I've gotten any bigger... probably not, considering the sad weight levels Smile  I do feel like I had less of the nagging injuries lately though.  So, it may have helped with the durability a little.

Ben, Do you try to keep the leg workouts far from your tempo/interval workouts?  Or, is it a non-issue because you don't go crazy on the weights? 

Feeling the growl again

I started lifting a bit more consistently this year.  I try to shoot for 2 arm sessions, 2 leg sessions, and 2-3 core workouts each week.  Nothing crazy though.  Probably don't spend more than 20min on any particular session.   For arms: bench, lat pull downs, dips, and rows (3sets 12-15 reps).   For legs: lunges, adductor/hip flexer extensions, hamstring curls, leg press, calf raises (3 sets 12-15 reps).  For core work, the P90X ab routine.

Don't know if I've gotten any bigger... probably not, considering the sad weight levels Smile  I do feel like I had less of the nagging injuries lately though.  So, it may have helped with the durability a little.

And on top of all your running....impressive.

Nader, when I lifted I did it 4X/week.  Typically I did not lift on the day of very intense workouts.  Since I only did arms (alternating tricep/chest days and back/bicep days) I never felt it really impacted my recovery.  Usually I did my run, ate dinner/refueled, and lifted later.

Was it all a dream?

Ben, Do you try to keep the leg workouts far from your tempo/interval workouts?  Or, is it a non-issue because you don't go crazy on the weights? 

Yeah, that's a tough call... doing weights the day before a workout might compromise the workout, but doing the weights on a workout day might leave you more prone to injury.  I've sided with doing legs the night before intervals/tempos.  Might add a little more fatigue in the legs for the workout, but hopefully that adds some margin for race day.  And since I seem to be cursed to race every marathon on the face of the sun, I can use all the margin I can get Smile

Also, I've been moving up in weight slowly so I'm not usually sore the day after (well, after the first few session that is) which helps.

I will keep that in mind for myself. 

Thanks, man.  And you tell that sun who's boss!