3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Shoe rotation (Read 193 times)

So I noticed the last couple of times that I ran in one of the shoes in current rotation that it seemed to affect my lower legs more.  I have about 540 miles on that pair.  The other pair I've been wearing on the treadmill and have 418 miles on those.  Since I seem to have problems when shoes get to that 500 miles mark, I need to be better at watching that.  Does anyone have any kind of experience on shoe wear and breakdown from treadmill running?  Should I rotate out the treadmill pair once I get close to the 500 mile mark?

As a side note, a store by my house had the Brook's Ghost 3 on sale - $55.  Since these have worked well for me over the last couple of years, I was very excited to see this.  Now I just need to be able to run again.

TripleBock

Not sure the tread of your shoe lasts forever on the TM - I find it actually seems ot harder the outside sole a bit.  I would think the cushion breaks down just as fast.

I stopped tracking shoe mileage a few years ago - Funny I ended up with over 30 pairs of shoes at different stages of used-up-ness.  5 have been worn very little, but I had trashed them (Mud) on the trail.  I cleaned those up and they are like new.

If you believe that the shoe is causing stress - Replace them.  I tend to buy 6-8 pair at a time when they are on super-sale.

500 is pretty solid for miles per pair.  To me anything over 700 is high mileage out of a pair of shoes.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

The mileage of shoes and my breaking down have correlated pretty well.  I'm very confident that it was my demise prior to the 2010 marathon meltdown.  Because it was a hot summer and I just sweat so damn much, I was pulling out older pairs of shoes that I shouldn't have been.  The shoes weren't drying out quick enough.  It was shortly after that where the achilles got worse.  Last summer I was diligent about the shoes and it worked out well for me. 

Because the treadmill running is new to me, I have no reference point of how long shoes last there vs outside.  The shoes look in great condition.  The only wear that I see on them is the treads on the front and very slight evidence on the outside heel of both shoes.

TripleBock

I always have had a mimimum of 4 pairs of shoes in rotation at a time - It gives ample drying time between wearing.  Plus I own a shoe dryer -  Wet shoes break down faster. 

The mileage of shoes and my breaking down have correlated pretty well.  I'm very confident that it was my demise prior to the 2010 marathon meltdown.  Because it was a hot summer and I just sweat so damn much, I was pulling out older pairs of shoes that I shouldn't have been.  The shoes weren't drying out quick enough.  It was shortly after that where the achilles got worse.  Last summer I was diligent about the shoes and it worked out well for me. 

Because the treadmill running is new to me, I have no reference point of how long shoes last there vs outside.  The shoes look in great condition.  The only wear that I see on them is the treads on the front and very slight evidence on the outside heel of both shoes.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Feeling the growl again

Right now I have one outdoor pair and one treadmill pair in rotation.  My mileage is almost exactly 50/50 split this year between the two.  I normally have a second outdoor pair due to drying issues...but I'm not sure I will be doubling enough to require it this year.

Regarding wear, I found that I could get at least and extra hundred miles or so out of a treadmill pair.  I don't wear the tread enough to care on any of my shoes....least of all the treadmill ones.  Given the cushioning in the deck, the outside ones get to feeling worn out a lot sooner.  So I run outdoor ones up to 700 miles, I'll probably keep putting ~800 on the treadmill ones. 

I try to rotate a second pair in around the 400 mile mark, so that by the time a shoe is in the later stages of its life I only wear it for short (<8 mile) runs.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills