3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra Fueling (Read 269 times)

C-R

So my first take away is that (sort of like taking fluids), if you get hungry during the race you're cooked. Based on what I'm hearing, looks like I can continue my 30min Gu schedule. That's a lot of Gu so I better plan drops accordingly. No clue on pace for me. Finishing would be my main goal.

I had trouble with fluids at Tecumseh. Couldn't absorb. Salt or electrolyte related?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Would it be too much of an oversimplification to say that the primary goal with fueling in an ultra is just to never get behind on it, because if you do, you're screwed? And that the details of what that entails will vary from race to race and runner to runner? My small lizard brain likes to boil things down to their most simple true essence, and those things seem true to me. My experience is extremely limited, though. I made it through my one 50 miler primarily on Pringles, Payday candy bars, and gu, just sort of nibbling all day.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

xor

My experience with bonking during a 50 or 100k and pacing people during 100s is that, while you really really don't want to bonk... if you do, you are out there so long that you may be able to recover from it somewhat and finish without a complete death march from point x to the bitter end.  It still sucks and you still want to avoid it, but "you're screwed" kind of depends on your race goals and your definition of screwed.  Point being, you don't HAVE TO dnf if you bonk.

(but you still don't want to get behind)

((my experiences with longer stuff is that you have to think differently from 26.2.))

Feeling the growl again

I made it through my one 50 miler primarily on Pringles, Payday candy bars, and gu, just sort of nibbling all day.

At the pace I've attempted  50s (results on that are going to change damn soon), my stomach rejects real food.  I've been able to do the PB&J sandwich thing during long training runs as long as I stay over 7min pace, but after the first couple hours they still don't go down pleasantly.  More of a gag reflex trying to get stuff down than issues once it is there.  For some reason I have absolutely no problem with Gu but that would be an expensive way to train.

The other thing I have tried in my ultra attempts that has had questionable results is sugared drinks.  I thought it would be good to get some of the calories in via gatorade or soda, but the few times my stomach has started to act up on me it has been after drinking these.  I switch back to water and 30-40min later I'll be OK again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

That makes sense to me, Spaniel. At your pace (your ultra pace is faster than my marathon PR pace) I can't handle solid food very well either, just gu. I actually had to make a conscious effort to be able to eat even at my much slower ultra pace. I did get used to it eventually. In fact I think I got a little too used to it, and when I went back to focusing on marathons and shorter stuff I had to convince my body that I didn't need to snack on the run.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mph is pretty much a useless figure as it pertains to ultras.  A good percentage of these races are on very hilly courses, if not worse.

This. Much of my 14 m/m last weekend was at a fairly high effort. So too was some of the 18m/m climbing I was doing. MPH means little on many trail ultra courses.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So my first take away is that (sort of like taking fluids), if you get hungry during the race you're cooked.

I disagree. This:

if you do, you are out there so long that you may be able to recover from it

I have totally crumped at mile 15 of a 40+ miler and stil done okay because, after a while, you have time to recover, refuel, reload and reshoot. The longer the race, the better in this regard. Just keep moving forward, keep consistent calories and, more importantly, fluids and salt coming in. And keep on keep on moving forward.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

At the pace I've attempted  50s (results on that are going to change damn soon), my stomach rejects real food.

Maybe you should slow down...

Kalsarikännit

I have to agree with Trent and SRL about not dying out there when you get behind on fuel or have a horrible stretch. Ultras ebb and flow. You will hit bipolar levels that you will never see in real life. You can and will sink to astonomical levels in both body and mind. Dig your way out, do what you need to move forward, and you may be surprised how well you can move a bit down the road.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

Oh, a handy fueling idea: Carry a snack size ziplock with you. At aid stations throw a little mix of stuff in there. Then go. Even if you walk and eat, you are moving better than the person hanging out at the aid station. Even better, run and use uphill hikes to graze if you need to ingest "real" food.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

Maybe you should slow down...

I'm going to do that to get a finish this spring, but to the topic of the thread neither DNF had anything to do with fueling.  This year I felt like a million bucks right up until my back went out on me.  I had learned from the prior year and didn't had any "real food" in my plan.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eh. The body can fail in seemingly unrelated ways when attempting an ultra too hard for your body's fitness. I still wonder if my asthma attack 45 miles into Umstead that took me out at mile 62.5 had to do with fitness more than intrinsic lung disease. A broken back could just as easily be due to a mismatch among fueling, fitness and effort.

Feeling the growl again

Eh. The body can fail in seemingly unrelated ways when attempting an ultra too hard for your body's fitness. I still wonder if my asthma attack 45 miles into Umstead that took me out at mile 62.5 had to do with fitness more than intrinsic lung disease. A broken back could just as easily be due to a mismatch among fueling, fitness and effort.

The issues I had during that race are a matter of record (ie the pacing was not entirely intentional this year and was faster than intended).  I do not believe fueling was one of them, and I think I am in a better place to be judging that.  Smile    There is no reason to slow down so I can stomach "real food" if I can run faster on Gu.

I think it is pretty obvious my back was not up to doing a 50-miler.  It is easy to second-guess after the fact but pre-race I had no reason to think it was going to be the issue it was.  A significant slowdown may have nursed it to the finish but I don't typically do races just to finish.  I can't believe it had anything to do with fueling as I have had sporadic issues in the past (typically occur with no warning), and continued to have issues with it long after the race.

Right now I am more focused on correcting the root issue to let my back/hips keep up with my overall fitness rather than slowing down to crutch on a handicap.  I've been working pretty hard to correct the core and imbalance issues and already see big improvements from this during training.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

While all that may be true, it does not undermine the fundamental truth that running is stupid.

(MTFix spelling)

#artbydmcbride

I've never run an ultra (I'm stupid, but not that stupid) but I have had success during marathons with Accel gels.  They have a protein and carb mix.

I order them from here  http://www.pacifichealthlabs.com/       but Roadrunner sports stores carry them too.

Runners run