3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Boston 2013 (Read 601 times)

Feeling the growl again

I have always done all the Pfitzinger VO2max stuff at 5K pace -- including the mile repeats, which suck. I figured I'd keep this up on Hansons. Hmm.

Yeah I was estimating....I would run 4-5 mile repeats with three minute recoveries, averaging around 4:57.  I am not sure that was quit 5k pace at th time and alittle quick for 8k possible.. In the ballpark Smile

I just ran.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm happy that I've been pushing things through and keeping consistent.  A November goal of hitting 257 miles was set.  I'm a little behind but all is good.  For the next month, I need to do the following:

-  Stretch out the long runs.

-  Incorporate hills in runs as much as I can.

-  Build that weekly mileage to the next step.

-  Keep up with the weight and core routine.

-  Stretch frequently.

I know this is nothing crazy, fancy nor exciting for many but it's helping me through.  Happy running and Hapy T-day!

November goal = 257 ---> Actual = 258 (right on)

December goal = 300 ---> Tracking = 283 (sort of FAIL but I really wasn't planning on pulling any stunts this month.)

December is almost in the books and I've been able to keep on track, for the most part.  Here's how December went:

-  Stretch out the long runs --> average long run distance = 15.45 miles (pace = 7:07/mi).  Check.

-  Incorporate hills in runs as much as I can. --> So, so here.  Last few days in WI helped.  Other than that, the hills are on the TM.

-  Build weekly mileage to the next step --> Nov avg 54/wk; Dec avg = 64/wk.  Keeping it safe but still a step up.

-  Keep up with the weight and core routine --> Twice per week with exception of this week.

-  Stretch frequently --> FAIL.

It's fitting that 1/1/13 marks the beginning of a 16-wk push to Boston.  Guess the real training starts next year.  I'm on plan for pushing the mileage up to the next step.  I may or may not run a half marathon in January.  Weather's always a toss up around Chicago, so who knows.  If I don't do that, I'll look to throw in some shorter race efforts to gauge where I'm at.  Other than that, I have my key points above to keep me on track in January.

DoppleBock

I completely shut down after DS24.  Plus I added mucho drink and eats.

I ran today and I have a new plan to get ready for Boston - Involves some nice stuff and some stuff I hate.  Well truth be told - The running is nice and everything else sucks.  But I have a plan.  My 1st gate review is 1/31.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

#artbydmcbride

I too have a new plan to get ready for Boston.  Cool

Runners run

bhearn

I have a plan. But I am unable to execute at present because my damn hamstring will not get unpulled or whatever the hell it is.

DoppleBock

tonight it was a little over an hour of snoeshoing - Nice work out

DoppleBock

This is my biggest challenge for Boston 2013.  Everytime I run LAT or faster or even MP for a longer time (6-8 miles) my hamstrings bark.

Talking to the PT at work I think it is a matter of strength, muscle balance and flexibility ... not injury

I have a plan. But I am unable to execute at present because my damn hamstring will not get unpulled or whatever the hell it is.

DoppleBock

80 or so days away

I am in week #2 of training, I will do workout #2 of week #2 tonight.  12-16 miles with 3x(4x400) - I am told to run like a glorified strider.  Just trying to get my legs used to running a bit faster.  My other 2 runs of note ~ Workout #1 was 16 with 22 minutes @T and workout #3 will be 3-4 hours of easy hilly trail running.

To be fair the training weeks are not leading up to Boston - Boston is a blip of 1 week taper and 1 week recovery in the middle of training for some shorter end of summer races.

looks like Rob Watson is the last pro in, joining Gillis as the second Canadian.. It will be fun to see them finish.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

We're less than 50 days away now.  How's the training coming along?

Training is rolling along quite well here.  I have had some decent long runs in February, have hit some good workouts and most importantly, am not feeling any nagging crap going on with the lower legs.  Hit the big 100 last week and I wasn't even coaxed into a stunt.  Wink

Hoping to hit a 5k here in March to see where I'm at.  Looking at the 16th as a possible option.  Other than that, Spring Break is taking us to the mountains of North Georgia at the end of March.

Let's hear where you're at Boston bound peeps.

#artbydmcbride

Hobbling along with a tight hamstring....going to ramp up the mileage anyway.   Some short races, 5k, 10k and half marathon mixed in in March.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Hit the big 100 last week and I wasn't even coaxed into a stunt.  Wink

Don't think that gets you out of one later...

Nice to hear everything is clicking along well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Hobbling along with a tight hamstring....going to ramp up the mileage anyway.  

Now that's the spirit!

Some short races, 5k, 10k and half marathon mixed in in March.

Now that doesn't surprise me.  Ilene running a race on a weekend?  What a foreign concept. Big grin

You guys might like to know that some runners are already preparing for the race!: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/03/03/runners-already-preparing-for-boston-marathon/

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes