3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2013 Goals Summarized (Read 617 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I failed to hit my goal of a 1:45 HM due to a couple of injuries. I was running really well and posting times that said I was on track up until the beginning of April, but then just kind of fell apart right before my first HM. I still managed to PR in the HM on my second attempt by a bit over a minute even though I had to stop and walk a couple of times the last 3 miles due to injuries acting up.

Started running OK again in July, but never fully recovered and went down hill again in September. I'm currently working on getting back to running again.

My 2014 goals will probably just be to get stronger and run injury free. I'm probably still a goods ways off from running a 1:45 HM.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Way to dig up this one.

Let's see -

Goal 1 FAIL - only ran one marathon and it was Monkey so sub 3:10 ain't happening there.

Goal 2 - FAIL - so far 100%. Longest run of the year was Monkey and that's a bit short of 50M

Goal 3 - still have a shot at this one. I need to get over this cold and hit the streets for some last minute 5ks. I need 28 seconds off my last 5k. Hmmmmm

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Walk-Jogger

1) I want to run a huge yearly mileage record for me of 2013 miles in 2013.

2) I want to push all my age-graded road race times as far over 80% as possible.

3) 12K goal race (Bloomsday) <47:00

MTA -  Extra Credit Goal: 

4) I've decided  this will be the year I surrender my marathon V-card. Aiming for a July race, and  <3:20. 

Done:   First marathon - 7-14-13,   3:08:34

OK, so I might as well take care of this now, since I'm not going to do get anything else accomplished before the end of the month and year.

1) Missed. Wanted to run 2013 miles total for the year, should end up just about 1700. That's still an all-time high for me, but I had to give up 2 months of running after my July marathon due to chronic peroneal nerve pain, other ambiguous aches and pains, sore feet, and lethargy, and that cost me the needed mileage.

2) Run 80% or higher for all road races - accomplished fro all from 800 meters (ok that was on the track) to the half marathon. Didn't make it on my full marathon, which was 79.7% age-graded, but that was my first ever marathon so it was pretty close for a beginner, right?

3) Fail - sub-47:00 12K race for Bloomsday.  I was disabled with a tibial stress [reaction,fracture] for the entire month of April and May, though I still managed to get in a bunch of training and cross-training. I was a bit off form fro this 12K race and also the weather was the warmest it's been in 20 years on race day, which slowed everyone down a minute or two. I still managed to finish second in my age-group and 216th out of 47K finishers, so within the top 0.46%.

My extra credit goal was to maybe run a marathon or something. I ran a marathon, my first ever, had a great time, glad I did it, BQ'ed and then some, but should probably not ever run another marathon due to ongoing slow loss of cartilage under my left patella, which seems to run in the family. It's not running caused, but the Dr. tells me it will bring my running program to a complete halt when it gets to be bone vs. bone. That could happen anytime between now and never . . .

Retired &  Loving It

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Actually, finishing at Umstead is my first goal.    Failed.

24 The hard Way -- 100 miles.

Monkey, if unlucky enough to get in, <4:00 is second goal.  Finish before beer runs out. 

May have to use 6:00am start to make that happen.

Thanks!

Failed at that whole 100 mile thing.

Didn't use the early start but it was a very, sad, sad result.  

Did finish before the beer ran out...drank too much undoubtedly.

Ah well there's always next year Smile

steph  

Prince of Fatness

You can add me, but I am not putting any numbers down...

1 - Lose weight.

2 - Be diligent with core work.

3 - Run a respectable race time (not sure what that is yet)

1 - Find out WTF is wrong with my hip.

Thanks.

Revised.

Sort of accomplished this.  I do have a torn labrum, but am not sure that that is all that is wrong with me.  If nothing else it is a starting point to work from.

Goal for 2014 is to continue to pursue a remedy for this, and get to the point where I can exercise regularly without breaking down.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

Kencamet >3300 miles PR 5k - M < 2:50 M        

I'm basically done for the year.  I've had a foot problem that's been really bugging since early September, tried ignoring and running through but it's just not going away.  Finally went to a podiatrist yesterday - fairly mild bursa inflammation with attendant nerve inflamation.  At least Xrays showed it wasn't something like fractured sesamoids.  She recommends NO running for about 3 weeks along with, of course, icing twice or 3x a day and a steady drip of ibuprofen to help with the inflammation.  She also made a pad that she inserted in my shoe which she thinks will help spread out the bones in my foot to allow the bursa to calm down.  We'll see.  So that's a wrap on this year.

goals -

>3300 miles for the year:  I would have made this one quite easily and still could but think it's worth not running for a few weeks.  Total: 3188.

PR at distances >5K:  This was wildly succesful (IMO).  PR's at 4 miles, 10K, 12K and 10miles and none of those were soft PRs.  Missed pretty badly on the half marathon but those were raced after I'd had this foot thing going for 5 weeks.

<2:50 marathon:  Yeah, right!  Even if I'd remained healthy it was not likely though I might have had a 2:52 in me.  We'll see how next year goes but it might be time to let go of this one.

A really good first half of 2013 followed by a only slightly disappointing 2nd half.  I still managed a sub-3 and I think a lot of 50 year olds would give their eye teeth to do that.  So a satisfying 2013.  Here's to a good 2014 for all of us.

Sorry to hear about the injury ken, get better soon.

Congrats on a successful year as well!

Jeesh Ken. Take it easy out there. Looks like, overall, you had a great year. Hard to argue with anything.

I cant really say much about this year for me. Although I did meet some real quacks on a trail run in Santa Cruz. For 2014, I plan on being more careful about the types of people I meet.

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

Fail on 2/3 specific goals. Didn't get under 3:10 on the marathon yet and didn't run a HM so n/a there.

Goal 3 was a big win: Qualified for Boston at my first marathon. Also ran a 3+ minute PR at my second marathon, ran the Monkey two weeks after that and lived to tell the tale with a decent time (and met a bunch of  imaginary Internet people). Racked up 2,500 miles of training by staying healthy the second half of the year.

For 2014 looking to knock down some soft PRs at shorter distances, aim for < 3:08 at Boston and then another fall marathon PR.

Don't know if I'll ever crack the sub-3 marathon, but that's the plan....eventually.

kcam

Jeesh Ken. Take it easy out there. Looks like, overall, you had a great year. Hard to argue with anything.

I cant really say much about this year for me. Although I did meet some real quacks on a trail run in Santa Cruz. For 2014, I plan on being more careful about the types of people I meet.

You too? Santa Cruz must be full of quackers cuz I met a couple of 'em as well!

oops hit post too soon ...

I sure am taking it easy and am VERY satisfied with the year.  Hoping to see you at some races this coming year, you're gonna be amazing once you hit your training groove.

Matt - sounds like a really good year.  I think that 2500 miles, two years in a row apparently, will really start paying off.  My experience is that the effects of cumulative mileage year over year really starts kicking in after a couple years and goes on for at least 5 or 6!  Congrats on the BQ.

Matt - sounds like a really good year.  I think that 2500 miles, two years in a row apparently, will really start paying off.  My experience is that the effects of cumulative mileage year over year really starts kicking in after a couple years and goes on for at least 5 or 6!  Congrats on the BQ.

Thanks, Ken. I've gotten that advice from a few people, and I do think I'm starting to notice the changes that come along with logging consistent mileage.

Clive:

1. M < 3:00

Never got the chance.

2. 5K < 19:00

Got to 19:09, but I peaked early and was degrading by my goal race.

3. 10 K < 40:00

Would've had this one in April, but for my damn BPH.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

question- this is a group for people that want to run 3650 miles this year right?

C-R

question- this is a group for people that want to run 3650 miles this year right?

Its a higher mileage and effort group. Conversation focus around running, racing, training and of course beer. There are some very serious and good runners in here (not me). Good place to swap ideas and learn stuff. Post often and welcome.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'll probably never run 3,650 miles in a year and they haven't kicked me out yet.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.