3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Good job, old man... (Read 70 times)

Feeling the growl again

Lagat 8:09.49 AR indoors 2-mile at age 38.  Dude has unreal resiliency vs Old Man Time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

I'd love to be 38 again.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I'd love to be 38 again.

I'd love to be running anything close to those times....ever.

Old age is subjective.  But the list of distance guys still running world-class times at that age can be fit on one hand.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

That's incredible.   That guy is my hero.

I'd love to be running anything close to those times....ever.

Old age is subjective.  But the list of distance guys still running world-class times at that age can be fit on one hand.

Agreed. It's amazing what AR records he holds...1500, mile, 3k, 2 miles and 5k. He is something else.

How about the High Schooler (Cain) in the mile?  4:28.25!  WOW!

Feeling the growl again

How about the High Schooler (Cain) in the mile?  4:28.25!  WOW!

No disrespect to Lagat but now that you mention that, Cain's performance was even more impressive IMO.

Walk-Jogger

And let's not overlook Edward Cheserek; running 30 seconds behind Lagat in the 2-mile with an 8:39.15, but he broke Gerry Lindgren’s American indoor high school record of 8:40.0 set in 1964. That's a 49 year old record he took down... 

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

And let's not overlook Edward Cheserek; running 30 seconds behind Lagat in the 2-mile with an 8:39.15, but he broke Gerry Lindgren’s American indoor high school record of 8:40.0 set in 1964. That's a 49 year old record he took down... 

The whole meet was pretty stacked in terms of notable performances...what's-his-name (see, I don't even know him) showing up the 2 favorites in the 600m to set the AR.

That was insane.. guy gets invited last min.. and throws down an AR.

And as much as I hate hyping HS kids.. Cain vs. Baxter needs to happen.

The whole meet was pretty stacked in terms of notable performances...what's-his-name (see, I don't even know him) showing up the 2 favorites in the 600m to set the AR.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

When Cain ran 4:32 a couple weeks ago, to take the 40yo record, the story mentioned that she took the SATs that morning. I remember wondering if any college with a serious running program will care what her SAT scores are?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

When Cain ran 4:32 a couple weeks ago, to take the 40yo record, the story mentioned that she took the SATs that morning. I remember wondering if any college with a serious running program will care what her SAT scores are?

She might be smart enough to have a backup plan if the pro running career thing doesn't work out.  Runners also retire pretty young, I've personally known a couple Olympians who struggled to find a career path when their pro running career was over and they found themselves lacking Alan Webb-type running riches.

There's a guy in my company who played in the NBA.  Not a starter, but he made decent coin.  All of his teammates ragged on him because he wasn't buying Ferraris and such like they were.  The thing was he knew he could get injured or cut at any time, and that he didn't have the talent to stay forever.  He lived modestly and banked most of it.  Sure enough, after a few years he was cut and nobody else wanted him.  Fortunately he'd done well in college and went on to a successful business career.

My understanding is that schools like Duke, ND and Stanford maintain their academic standards (more or less). Besides, Im not sure how valuable she would be to a college program considering the sport and the fact she might go pro.

When I was in school I reemmber it being a big deal to move from D2 to D1. Some wanted to make sure the academics always came first.

My understanding is that schools like Duke, ND and Stanford maintain their academic standards (more or less). Besides, Im not sure how valuable she would be to a college program considering the sport and the fact she might go pro.

When I was in school I reemmber it being a big deal to move from D2 to D1. Some wanted to make sure the academics always came first.

College programs LOVE to have talent like that.  You know what that does to recruiting potential?  I ran D1 and we had mandatory programs (a.k.a study hall) where tutors were available to help out.  There's the standard Academic All-Conference awards and the like the conferences promote.  I think the perception of educational standards are different for distance running programs than, let's say the big money programs (football/basketball).  Coach tried making me go but I was able to convince him that I was better off studying with others in my class as there likely weren't tutors their to help with Chemical Engineering.  He agreed.

In other news, Oregon is getting another top notch high schooler (Cheserek).  I'm surprised we don't here more about OK State and Colorado being school's of choice.  It's commonly Oregon or Stanford you hear the most about.

Im a little biased.. but I'd rather go to Stanford than any of those other schools. Oregon, for obvious reasons, will always be a draw. The top two HS girls back home decided on Ore and Stanford. Im sure they had a few other offers.

From what little I've read about college runners, they seem (not to generalize or anything) to be more the type that would major in Chem. Eng. over say.. Communications. Is the HS runner more inclinded to choose a college based on academics over other factors? I'm a bit burned out on college athletics and the big money that goes into it with no or minimal compensation to the athletes.

In other news, Oregon is getting another top notch high schooler (Cheserek).  I'm surprised we don't here more about OK State and Colorado being school's of choice.  It's commonly Oregon or Stanford you hear the most about.

Kinesiology seems to be a popular program now a days.  Many of the distance runners at my alma mater are in that program.

For female runners, the big draw tends to Villanova, Washington, Oregon, and one of the Florida schools (State, I think).  Agreed on the big money though.  Conferences just keep getting broke up and reshuffled.  It's not the same anymore.