3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Hamster Wheel Question (Read 25 times)

C-R

And no spaniel, I don't want to kill mine. But if needed I know who to call.

</Whine on>

Context - last year I hobbyjogged miles on the treadmill in the winter. I have reynauds and real cold weather is a bitch on my hands for long runs. Also I am a bit of a nancy boy about temps less than 10. I'm working on it and even ran in 0 last week. That being said.

Why do I find it so damn hard to run a workout. I hit the hotel tm today and wanted to run a 20 minute tempo. Friggin had to break it up after mile one and do a one on and one off. Not like it was a ball buster either only 7 mpm. Seemed I was only watching the clock and miles and it didn't help. Couldn't really concentrate on the tv.

I need to get some real workouts and I have a great hill workout which seems to be ok for me to push through but as soon as I go for a tempo or speed its a suckfest 1/2 mile into the run.

Any suggestions? Or is a HTFU thing.

I need to get ready for Boston and hbbyjoggin won't do it. I do not have these issues outside.

</Whine off>.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

HTFU and kill that machine already like a real man.  Big grin

When running easy it's easy to focus attention on distractions like TV or music.  When you are running harder in a workout you tend to pay more attention to your body and not have the bandwidth for the entertainment anymore.  So the experience regresses back to a more boring experience, IMHO.  I also have more of a challenge not clock-watching when doing workouts.

I'm fine for 4-mile tempo ones, the longer ones really drag.  And I hate hate HATE trying to do hill work on a treadmill.

I'd either just vary things with shorter fast sections than tempo (fartleks) or try to get used to it...not much you can do.

I've continuously improved my treadmill setup to make it as easy to watch TV and hear as possible...this has helped a good deal.  Flatscreen TV center-mounted just above eye level in front, fans above/behind me, and recently a bluetooth speaker for the TV/DVR mounted right under the console so the sound is crisper at a lower required volume.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Maybe the Hotel Treadmill was off or the temp was too high in the room?   Could be just travel/work related fatigue as well.

I can never run comfortably on a hotel treadmill, it's either, noisy, wobbly, there is an annoying person next to me, the TV is on Faux news or I really really need to use the bathroom and so on.